Community: Forum: Vegetarian Discussion

Vegan / Vegetarian Discussion - All Things Veg*n Forum

Author Avatar
Hello everyone, I just joined today. Reason being is I need help with becoming more vegetarian. I say more because last time I just launched into being vegan and failed horribly. I was not prepared, so this time I want to go slow.
What has brought this up is that, aside from meat being cruel, my body has seemingly decided that it does not like meat. I used to be a daily meat eater (I know, horrible,) but now just a bite makes me ill. Obviously I cannot continue with my current diet.

So my main problem is that I hate most vegetables and tofu. I have issues with anemia (non serious, caused by folic acid deficiency) caused by my hatred of vegetables. I have tried, I really have, to get used to vegetables, but something about them my body rejects.

So what are some things I could try that would fit my needs? Hate veggies and tofu, no food allergies, on a very tight budget.
Thanks in advance.

Responses (3)

Report Abuse

Posted by 8ballsheep at 09/17/16 18:02:14

I should probably add that I also don't do well with beans or lentils or anything similar.
    And I can't have anything spicy (hot peppers, etc) they mess me up bad.

• Report Abuse

Posted by Robinwomb at 09/18/16 11:20:06

How did you eat beans and veggies before? Sometimes the way you prepare them or what kinds of meals you make out of them makes all the difference. I love pureed carrot/white bean curry soup for example. My husband loves that soup, but doesn't like whole beans or carrots. Sometimes, with beans, slowly introducing them a little here and there over time helps you body become more used to them. So many people suffer gas and bloating at first because of the increased fiber and beans are very different than the slow digesting meat. Your gut flora changes over time, as do your taste buds.

Have you ever tried roasting your veggies in the oven with stuff like maple syrup or coconut oil? That can make a huge difference as far as taste. Or try hiding green leafy veggies in a pot of soup or in a smoothie. Green leafies have a ton of iron, calcium, and other important nutrients.

Blackstrap molasses is loaded with iron. I use it to make Asian types of sauces to go over stir fries, and I use it for baking breads and muffins, or as simply something to add to oatmeal or a pumpkin smoothie or on toast.

Wheat germ is also an excellent source of iron, as is cream of wheat. With plant based iron, you want to also consume a source of vitamin c at the same meal or close to it, such as strawberries, oranges/juice, bell peppers etc to increase absorption.

You may enjoy nut/seed based products and recipes if you aren't into beans and tofu. I love to make cashew mayonnaise and "cream cheese". Or almond "parmesan" and "alfredo" sauce.

Of course, nuts and seeds are not that cheap, but a little goes a long way. Pumpkin and sunflower seeds are much cheaper, especially if bought with shell on. You can roast them with shell on and they are awesome. Peanut butter is fairly inexpensive. Whole grains...brown rice, oats, couscous, millet, kasha are all loaded with iron and other minerals and are cheap. Find some good sauce recipes and add to them or have them with seeds and fresh fruit for breakfast.

If you are really passionate about going vegetarian, you will find a way, trust me. I have done gluten/soy free vegan and still never ran out of stuff to eat. The variety is really amazing, you just have to be willing to think outside the box and try new things. If you are used to eating heavily processed foods, it can take a while to appreciate the subtle but intense flavor of natural fruits and vegetables and whole grains. Once you do though, you never look back!

I once made a gluten free vegan gingerbread cake for my Mom who eats gluten free, and the ingredient that provided the moisture and structure was actually red lentils. You'd have never known there were red lentils in it at all. They worked very well with the spices I used and blended beautifully into the cake, even giving it the rich amber color. I highly recommend checking out some cookbooks and reading lots of blogs. Over time, you'll have enough of a collection of interesting recipes to make a go of being totally vegetarian. When I went vegan in early 2011, I started printing recipes here and there online that looked interesting and fairly simple. I started a three ring binder for them. I now have 5 full notebooks full of recipes lol.

• Report Abuse

Posted by eric at 09/20/16 04:40:46

Keep HappyCow Growing Strong!

I would like to support