Community: Forum: Vegetarian Discussion

Vegan / Vegetarian Discussion - All Things Veg*n Forum

Over the summer I noticed yellow jackets flying in and out of a little spot above a window in my house were the caulk had been worn away. I wasn't really concerned because I figured they were nesting behind the siding, but still outside of the house. In the last couple of weeks I have been finding many of them inside of my house, mostly in a bedroom which is located right above where I see them flying in and out. Everyday I usually find a couple of dead ones in my sinks as well. I didn't mind them living in my siding, but now that they are entering my house I am a bit concerned as I have two dogs (who eat insects) and a wife who has had a history of bad reactions to bee stings. Any suggestions on a humane way to deal with this? My wife is at the point where she wants to call an exterminator, but I'm definitely against that. Any suggestions would be great.

Responses (3)

Report Abuse

Posted by jive at 10/08/10 13:10:15

You could hire a professional to remove the siding and physically relocate the nest to somewhere else on your property (a hollow in a tree perhaps, or just anywhere where they have shelter form the elements)

I'm not sure if there is a cheap or inexpensive way to do this humanely, other than keeping your house really cold. But that can get expensive in the long run, and it doesn't really solve your problem; it just postpones the inevitable.

• Report Abuse

Posted by JohnnySensible at 10/09/10 00:04:48

There are some very fashionable options available nowadays Yoshi - browse here - http://www.swienty.com/shop/default.asp?catid=1109

You could perhaps also modify your old Darth Vader suit for yourself ........& perhaps add gloves & bicycle clips to well constructed burqas for your wife.

• Report Abuse

Posted by Chase Morgan at 11/26/10 13:25:38

kill the things its a matter of self protection animals kill other animals when they invade there living areas what makes us so differant?