Community: Forum: Vegetarian Discussion

Vegan / Vegetarian Discussion - All Things Veg*n Forum

I think that most veg* have a unique story about how they arrived to a decision to go meat free, what is yours? I have a weird history and time line, and want to share it was wondering if anyone else had a similar experience.

Responses (3)

• Report Abuse

Posted by vaunderbroad at 08/09/08 10:09:50

I am currently vegetarian, as baby I ate a organic macrobiotic diet until I was 4, at which point my dad started hunting and fishing, as I saw him kill animals they made it off my "OK to eat" list, starting with fish and ending with deer.

I quit eating meat at age seven. I met a couple from Australia who were vegetarians they stayed with my family for a couple of months and were very supportive, I finally had a word for it.

When I was 15 I started hanging out at coffee shops and art galleries and enjoyed the instant connection that vegetarianism gave me to others.
    I read "Diet for a new America" and wrote in local papers about vegetarianism.

At 20 I hooked up with a boyfriend who was a meat eater and went back to ovo lacto veg again (once I even ate chicken soup)
    We broke up and I went vegan, this time got a vegan roommate and that was great, I was vegan for a few years and then at age 22 got pregnant and went ovo-lacto-veg.

My family was vegetarian until at age 26 I permitted a family member to feed my son a piece of a cow that he lovingly raised and (unfortunately) killed, My boyfriend admitted to me that he wanted to occasionally eat meat again: within a year we were full blown carnivores. It didn't make any sense to me, I mean after all I was educated, I knew better, but it just didn't click I always would try to make the right choice and then I'd let it go. It was lazy and sad. So for the last five years of my life my ideals and my actions had no relationship.

This year I'm 32 and The week before Mother's Day I had been hanging out with a vegan friend of mine and he was telling me about all of the cool new foods on the market for vegans and then I had a client who remarked to me "I can't believe you eat meat, you were such a passionate vegan".

It was like a light shined on me, My memory just reviewed everything I ever read about the health, environmental,& ethical aspects of a meat free lifestyle and I've been vegetarian since that moment
    I'm gravitating towards veganism, it's been pretty easy, I just had to wait for the "call".

I've been phasing the meat out of my family's diet (slowly but surely), I don't know if they'll ever be vegetarian again, but every little bit helps.
    I will admit that a strong animosity towards my boyfriend is brewing, I just have to be sure to draw my boundaries clearly.

• Report Abuse

Posted by SynthVegan at 08/14/08 07:17:03

This is copied directly from my profile:

I've been Vegetarian since I was four [I'm Vegan now], when I discovered where meat truly came from -- then refused to eat it thereafter. Over time, that reason evolved into other issues such as animal rights, vivisection, health, etc. As I've said in a forum post, I don't see any difference between all living beings beyond aesthetic characteristics. I feel that it's important to value *all* life, because it's our *only* life and we should all be able to live harmoniously together and experience life along with of all the wonderful things [thoughts, feelings, memories, etc.] that encompass it.

I became Vegan two years ago when I decided to try to go a month as a Vegan...just to see if I can do it. I haven't gone back since then and have felt better and no longer have a particular digestion problem Going Vegan is the best thing that I've done for myself.

• Report Abuse

Posted by JohnnySensible at 09/21/08 20:02:59

As a child / young teenager I spent my leisure time reading a lot, watching comedy / satire on TV & listening to music.

From birth to age 13 I was fed animal corpses / fluids every day.

After a while I began to realize that many of my favorite authors & musicians were either fully or mainly veggie.

H. G. Wells & Aldous Huxley were 2 of my favorite authors.

Spike Milligan & Peter Sellers were some of my favorite comedians.

George Harrison was my #1 favorite musician.

I dug a little deeper, scoured secondhand book shops for relevant reading material & eventually "made the change".

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Dr. Benjamin Spock quote "Children who grow up getting
    their nutrition from plant foods rather than meats have a tremendous health advantage. They are less likely to develop weight problems, diabetes, high blood pressure, and some forms of cancer."

Keep HappyCow Growing Strong!

I would like to support