Community: Forum: Vegetarian Discussion

Vegan / Vegetarian Discussion - All Things Veg*n Forum

Hi,

I've been vegetarian for two years, and since Christmas my boyfriend and I have been vegan. I'm also trying hard to lose weight and know from prior experience that a high protein and very low carbohydrate diet works best for me - I'm also coeliac, so the low carb helps in that respect too.

The problem I have is that, since I can no longer eat any dairy products or eggs, and have also cut all grains, potatoes, starchy vegetables, soya products (because of the high oestrogen levels), most quorn (because I've heard it's not healthy) and most fruits to minimise my intake of sugars and carbs, I'm left with only vegetables, beans, nuts and low-sugar fruits.

I like these foods very much, but am rapidly getting bored with what is turning out to be a rather mundane daily diet of broccoli and beans in passata, with occasional slight variations such as veggie curry, chilli or casserole.

I'm also concerned that we're missing out on vital nutrients, for example, I'm not sure where we're getting any omega 3.

Can anyone direct me to a good website where I can find lots of ideas for a low carb, grain-free vegan diet? Thank you!!!

Responses (8)

• Report Abuse

Posted by RobGladford at 04/13/14 01:19:41

Hi Wendy!

I have this problem myself.

Also, my girlfriend has food intolerance and needs to avoid lots of ingredients, just like you.

We find it difficult and time consuming to find for a wide variety of recipes excluding certain products, so we decided to build a website that addresses this issue.

It's not live yet, but we're hoping to get it live soon. You can register to be notified about the launch:

recipes.myinstapage.com/

Regards,
    Robert

• Report Abuse

Posted by AndyT at 04/13/14 07:46:18

Hello Wendymargaret - first of all, great that you and your boyfriend have decided to go vegan.

Why the obsession with low-carb diet? I hear that all the time. Yes, there are many "bad carbs", most notably processed sugar, white flour and others, but carbs are actually the food that our body thrives on. Too much protein is hard on your organs, too. I guess you have heard of the China study, that suggested that people, who get 80 % of their energy from carbs, and a maximum of 10% each from either fat or protein, actually were the healthiest. This is also suggested in the "811" diet.

I personally do not believe that fresh fruit should be totally avoided because of the included (healthy) sugars. But do not take my word for it, best talk to a (vegan-friendly!) nutritionist. Especially with your personal challenges. But make sure the person you talk to is vegan-friendly, there are too many nutritionists out there who fear veganism for whatever reasons and will tell you that you need to consume animal products (which is not correct).

Also, have a look at the great book "Becoming vegan" by Brenda Davis and Vesanto Melina for further information.

Finally, as far as Omega-3/6 is concerned, here there are many good plant sources. I personally prefer walnuts.

• Report Abuse

Posted by ahimsa32fa at 04/13/14 07:57:44

I add a variety of spices to flax oil for salad dressing every day. Probably the best source for omega 3 and 6.

• Report Abuse

Posted by The Hammer at 04/13/14 22:24:29

i have to agree with the advice of Andy, read the China Study, and also please use your common sense, we people are for a large part frutarians, fruits are our natural nr 1 foods.

Also, estrogen levels in soy products...well, i recommend you learn more about the subject with Google Scholar so you get your info from real scientific data and not from lay people who have an agenda, to discredit soy products.

In short, soy products REDUCE the level of serum estrogen and so reduce the change of breast cancer.

in my opinion, i agree sugars and carbs *white flours) should be avoided but only when procesed, wholefood is such a diferent story, wholefood is healthy.

• Report Abuse

Posted by ahimsa32fa at 04/14/14 05:28:05

Hammer-
    Thanks for your comments.

Some may respond with something like "You can't get all your nutrients from apples and oranges".

Which is true, but they are forgetting the fruits of the vine...tomatoes, cukes, squash, melons, etc.

And I don't buy the meat industry propaganda about soy, either. Tempeh is an excellent source of protein.

• Report Abuse

Posted by AndyT at 04/15/14 14:44:52

I agree, do read up on soy. I find this article especially helpful and informative: http://johnrobbins.info/blog/what-about-soy/

Whenever I hear about eating lots of fruits, I have to agree ... but do add some leafy green vegetables! They are the optimum as far as nutrients are concerned.

When observing the eating habits of primates, scientists discovered that those like to eat fresh fruit together with green leaves, the combination is great. A good way to eat that are green smoothies, read up on these!

Best regards,
    Andy

• Report Abuse

Posted by WendyMargaret at 04/16/14 02:16:15

Hi everyone, and thank you so much for your help.

Robert, I have signed up to your website and look forward to its launch :)

Andy, my hangup with low-carb is the result of several years of trialling different dietary approaches and finding what works for me. Prior to meeting my boyfriend 2 years ago I had lost 2 stone by following a low-carb diet (Dr John Briffa's Escape the Diet Trap), eliminating all grains, starchy vegetables, fruits and sugars from my diet as far as practically possible, but I noted that if I allowed any of these back into my diet, the weight loss halted.

Subsequent to meeting my boyfriend and becoming vegetarian, despite eating lots of veggies, the increase of carbs in my diet - specifically rice, pasta and potatoes - has caused me to gain a stone in weight, which I am anxious to shed. Although I appreciate that lots of people maintain a perfectly healthy weight while eating these foods, the evidence shows that it clearly doesn't work for me.

I am now eating a little fruit, as I believe it's important from a nutrient point of view, but as I'm aiming to keep dietary sugars to a minimum (and am also prone to candida), I stick mainly with vegetables.

Thanks to everyone regarding the information on soy. I will definitely read up more on it - it's good to be well informed, and in view of the fact that my dietary choices are quite severely limited, I want to have as many options as possible.

Thank you all again,

Wendy

Report Abuse

Posted by StephenS at 04/26/14 18:09:08

The Title of this thread just made me think of that great reggae Father - Macka B!!

Wha Me Eat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLqjLn0W5K0

Keep HappyCow Growing Strong!

I would like to support