Community: Forum: Vegetarian Discussion

Vegan / Vegetarian Discussion - All Things Veg*n Forum

I read a report that vegans have a serious vision dilemma because there are no natural sources of "fat-soluble" vitamin A. water-soluble vitamin A is very common and easy to find, but it is fat-soluble that commonly robs the vision of vegans. Most of my life, my vision was excellent if not superior, but starting about 14 years ago it started slowly deteriorating. Now it's starting to get ridiculous and scary. I've searched and searched stores and internet and can't find a vegan form of fat-soluble vitamin A. I asked at Sprouts and they didn't know what I was talking about. I've been vegan for 29 years and I don't mind a challenge but can't accept a failure...I MUST prove that a vegan diet is a superior one if we're going to change the world, and this Vitamin A problem is definitely becoming a stumbling point. Anyone know where I can find this?

Responses (2)

• Report Abuse

Posted by dorite at 04/17/13 19:25:19

All vitamin A is fat soluble - both the one found in animal products (retinol) and that found in abundance in plants (beta carotene). Beta carotene is convereted in the body to vitamin A, so if you get enough beta carotene (from dark leafy greens and orange and red vegetables and fruits) you should have enough vitamin A to protect your vision. I guess the only problem is that fruits and veggies are not rich in oils which would make the beta carotene more available for absorption, so I would suggest eating the greens with some nuts and olive oil.

• Report Abuse

Posted by fogtime at 08/05/13 00:25:21

Beta carotene has the added advantage in that the body will convert it to vitamin A on an as need basis. In other words, you will pee out any beta carotene that's not needed. Since it is possible for the body to get too much vitamin A, it's best to take a beta carotene supplement, not a vitamin A supplement.

Keep HappyCow Growing Strong!

I would like to support