Community: Forum: Vegetarian Discussion

Vegan / Vegetarian Discussion - All Things Veg*n Forum

Hello,

I have long wanted to try to convert to a vegetarian diet but it is something very difficult for me since I love cooking and my cooking knowledge all rotates around using meats.

In the past year, I have been buying much less meat and I realized that I did not enjoy the taste of meat overall. So why bother buying meat if 1. I do not enjoy the taste 2. I dont enjoy the way farms and industries treat the livestock in their lifetime 3. Its costly 4. has huge environmental impact. 5. I asked myself: Would I be able to kill, clean and prepare a cow ? In my case, I do not believe I would be able to coup with killing a cow/pig that I have been around and taken care of. So I decided to quit red meats. Although, without explaining my reasoning find that eating poultry and fish is fine by my standards. Although, I do not always buy chicken because I know they dont have good quality life, so I tend to favor fish and seafood over chicken. Thus, I want to try a pescetarian diet, but I need help figuring out what should I buy?

Ive read several forums but they always recommend the same stuff like almonds milk, veggies, beans, etc. The problem is that I find that with these ingredients, you cant really cook. I know these foods are good supplements for a healthy diet, but I dont see how you can set up a nice meal with those. So I wanted to see if someone could help me with a grocery list that would allow me to prepare nice and tasty meals, not just supplements/replacements and salads. For me, eating is a fun experience. So I want to combine the fun of cooking with a pescetarian diet *pescetarian means eating fish and seafood, no red meat.

So if someone could sharetheir grocery list and their meal plans it would help me understand how to set up my grocery/cooking.

Responses (6)

• Report Abuse

Posted by jaimee344 at 11/18/17 02:07:29

Hi, I would very much suggest watching the documentary 'What the Health' and 'Cowspiracy' on Netflix, they should give you some more information on going vegetarian/vegan in general. I think starting off this way (pescetarian)is great, you shouldn't try and go cold turkey all at once. However I have been vegetarian for about 7 months and I have never felt better! I feel lighter and more energized, so don't doubt your choice. I understand where your coming from saying that your not sure what to eat, which is common. I would start with eating fake meats, you can find them in the freezer section and they are very yummy! And since your only giving up meat you should be able to enjoy plenty of dishes that include dairy, such as pastas and such. Defiantly type what your looking for in youtube to see if you can find anything! Another thing I suggest is to go to the websites of the veggie meat companies, they have plenty of recipes and they are delicious! I would also HIGHLY recommend following vegetarian cooking Instagram account, just type in vegan or vegetarian, the little videos are so helpful! I would suggest starting with Bosh TV and going from there. Youtube has been a huge help for me, so I would really recommend looking up some vegan/ vegetarian you tubers.

While I do respect your decision to eat seafood, I would like to give you a feel facts. Due to overfishing scientists predict we could have fish less oceans by 2048. Also fish are HUGE mercury sponges, thats why many doctors suggest to limit your intake. But why not just drop it all together? It can be very hard at first but it gets better as time goes by. I'm not trying to push anything on you, I respect your decision!

My last bit of advice for you is to remind your self why your doing this. Follow some animal sanctuaries on Instagram (I would suggest Rancho Relaxo!), and maybe go visit one, its an amazing experience. Watch documentaries and be informed. Stand up for what you believe in, and don't ever let anyone get you down. Your doing a great thing for yourself, the planet, and the animals! I hope this helped, I tried :)

• Report Abuse

Posted by happah10 at 11/18/17 02:36:34

I was a big seafood lover myself having grown up on the coast. My birthday dinner and other special occasions was always stone crab claws. But Gaveit up 2 years ago almost to the day and haven't looked back.

The problem for me was always getting fresh seafood. That's tough to do. Just an inconvenience i didn't need.

If you must eat fish and you're in the united States, at least try to find or special order Asian carp. It's a problematic invasive species in freshwater lakes and rivers here. It's inexpensive and you'd be doing the native fish populations a huge favor by eating them. In my opinion the flavor is easily one of my favorite. Tons of bones the size of toothpicks. That makes it a hard sell to Americans but the flavor is worth the effort.
    There are no predators to this fish in the united States other than humans.

Congratulations on giving up meat and consider that the meat substitutes, especially tofu, can be used for your favorite seafood recipes also.

• Report Abuse

Posted by ForestNymph at 11/18/17 04:21:38

I find your assessment to be odd, frankly - one of the most fun aspects of going vegan for me was cooking. You can veganize just about any recipe you like from being a meat eater - like seitan pot roast with gravy, pot pies, casseroles ....I've veganized Ukranian borscht, made my own "chicken fried" seitan steaks from scratch, learned to make three different kinds of gravies, veganized baked goods like cookies and cakes, and yesterday I tried a friend's absolutely delicious vegan green bean casserole, which had mushrooms and still had the little fried onion things on top like "traditional" green bean casserole.

It's exciting to be a vegan cook, because you have so many more options than your vegan friends who don't know how to cook or don't like cooking. You'll be able to invent things because you need a vegan option, have a craving, or run out of an ingredient.

There's also plenty of products on the market, vegan cheeses to put on pizzas and sandwiches, holiday roasts, and artisan vegan sausages that you can pair with sourkraut or horseradish and eat on a potato bun with mustard, never missing the meat version.

It's super fun to explore different cuisines made vegan - a lot of Asian, Indian and Mediterranean dishes are already vegan or vegetarian, but you can make vegan German food, too.

Have you ever heard of Pinterest? Just search "vegan" and any thing you want to make...like "French vegan" or "vegan pumpkin pie" or "vegan fried chicken."

Good luck.

• Report Abuse

Posted by ForestNymph at 11/18/17 05:03:33

Oh I have something to add...if you insist that you love the taste of fish, it's possible you know to use nori and dulce as part of a recipe that is based around either chickpeas and hearts of palm or jackfruit. There's a restaurant in Los Angeles that makes a to die for vegan not-tuna melt sandwich, with toasted bread, melted Follow Your Heart sliced cheese (I think it's the provolone), avocado and a jackfruit mix with the dulse/nori, because it contains an ocean-y flavor.

Heated flax also has a slightly fishy smell and taste because of the omega 3 fatty acid content in flax.

Gardein makes great fishless filets, I know that's not gonna fly with you if you don't like battered fish sticks, but I would definitely suggest you look into finding a recipe you like with jackfruit or chickpeas and hearts of palm. Nori and dulse can be found in Asian markets and in some mainstream markets, or on-line.

• Report Abuse

Posted by poivron at 11/26/17 01:42:21

My husband loves to cook. When we first went vegan, he had a little trouble at first, since vegan dinners tend to be more time-consuming to prepare than non-vegan dinners, but over time, he grew to really enjoy vegan cooking. There is a wonderful cookbook by Donna Klein called "The Mediterranean Vegan Kitchen". It has no pictures, but the instructions are very precise and don't involve any items you wouldn't normally buy at the grocery store. It's also a good idea to look into Lebanese, Indian, Chinese, and Thai cooking. You will find, over time, that going vegan actually expands your repertoire rather than shrink it.

(I say vegan, to point out that being vegan doesn't limit one's options. Also, I know more about veganism than about pescetarianism. You can be pescetarian if you don't think you can immediately make the jump to veganism.)

When you go vegan, all you're doing is removing a very small number of items from your menu: beef, pork, chicken, seafood, eggs, and dairy. There is a huge number of items -- like beans, lentils, vegetables, grains, fruits, nuts, seeds -- that you're not removing. One initial difficulty is caused by the fact that the standard meat-eater's dinner is almost always composed of meat and a side of vegetables; this makes it difficult to imagine what dinner might mean without the meat. If you stop thinking of dinner as meat with a side of vegetables, you will adjust more easily.

Finally, do give Gardein products a try. The "Crabless Cakes" are amazing, and you can make a wonderful tartar sauce with capers and Vegenaise. The "Meatless Meatballs" are also excellent.

• Report Abuse

Posted by poivron at 11/26/17 01:49:49

I forgot to mention that there is another cookbook, by Leah Leneman, called "Vegan Cooking for One". It has weekly shopping lists and dinner menus. It might give you more specific ideas as to what a vegan might have for dinner every day. If you're not single, it's easy to double or triple the ingredients lists.

Keep HappyCow Growing Strong!

I would like to support