Community: Forum: Vegetarian Discussion

Vegan / Vegetarian Discussion - All Things Veg*n Forum

I am trying to become a vegan, today was my first attempt at vegan shopping but im a bit confused about labelling, there are numerous products that I already get like hp brown sauce and kellogs cornflakes that say they are suitable for vegetarians but on the labels theres nothing I can see that makes them unsuitable for vegans.
brown sauce ingredients:
Tomatoes , Malt Vinegar (from Barley) , Sugar , Spirit Vinegar , Dates , Modified Cornflour , Rye Flour , Colour - Plain Caramel , Salt , Spices , Flavourings , Tamarind .

Maize , Sugar , Barley Malt Flavouring , Salt , Vitamins & Minerals: Niacin, Iron, Vitamin B6, Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin), Vitamin B1 (Thiamin), Folic Acid, Vitamin D, Vitamin B12 .

forgive me if im missing something obvious, I only made the decision to try this lifestyle change 2 days ago and have already ready a fair bit of contradicting information regarding the various types of vegans and vegetarians im still trying to figure it out.

Responses (2)

• Report Abuse

Posted by ahimsa32fa at 06/01/15 06:51:04

Many of the ingredients may or may not be vegan (colour, flavourings, vitamins, etc.)

But keep in mind that food can be "vegan" and still not especially healthy. Commercial potato chips and soda pop come to mind...

Don't be discouraged after 2 days! I've been 99% vegan for thirty years and it can still be a challenge! Never stop asking questions and never stop learning!

• Report Abuse

Posted by anahidscv at 06/05/15 12:33:09

For one thing, corn flakes is not non-gmo and you actually do not know what's in the flavorings. Plus its so unhealthy.

Keep HappyCow Growing Strong!

I would like to support