Community: Forum: Vegetarian Discussion

Vegan / Vegetarian Discussion - All Things Veg*n Forum

So I tried a lot of the fake meats to see if they would be good alternatives. So far I have not liked almost all of them. Which probably is good since they appear to be highly processed foods. I think my favorite so far is the Beyond Meat crumbles. But even these tasted a bit strange, but I will experiment with it a bit.

However, I've made a lot of great soups with veggies and replaced the milk products with replacements and they have been really good. And smoothies are great now that I got a Vitamix blender. I also prefer almond milk to any other alternative.

I guess I will stick to regular foods. Maybe these will work for some people, but so far to me they just taste like inferior food.

Anyone have similar experiences on these?

Responses (10)

• Report Abuse

Posted by La_diavolo at 02/17/16 10:51:14

Have you tried Match meats ? When I was in transition period I used to eat Match Italian sausages . They have a little spice taste and they are completely gluten free. The second product I love is Match Crab. I simply adore vegan crab cakes with vegan mayonnaise.
    I will leave you one recipe here :
    www.hotforfoodblog.com/recipes/2015/3/24/vegan-crab-cakes-with-horseradish-dill-tartar-sauce

• Report Abuse

Posted by GOLGO13 at 02/17/16 19:02:12

have not seen the Match meats. I'll look out for them. I've tried Gardien, beyond meat, and a few others.

One thing that's really helping is I have a lot of Thai restaurants. I also have a good quality Chinese/Vietnamese place which has a lot of options. We also have an Indian place which has a few good options. I've also found a few mexican places which have one or two good dishes.

In the main city I live near there are a few Vegan only places. And there are also some Vegetarian/ Vegan places. I have not been able to try those yet.

At home it's fairly easy to control everything.

• Report Abuse

Posted by La_diavolo at 02/18/16 06:34:27

Yes I like Indian food. There are lot nice restaurants in my area too. I tried Gardien , they also have some gluten free product , but I was not impressed. My favorite is still Match's products.

• Report Abuse

Posted by Thalassa4 at 03/19/16 21:16:44

Hmm. Describing vegan products as "inferior food" sounds a lot like you expecting the products to taste EXACTLY like meat, which won't ever happen. It's not going to taste like meat because it's not meat.

I really like Tofurky, a lot. I make the roasts with gravy, and recently started having smoked or peppered Tofurky slices on sourdough with Just Mayo, lettuce and tomato, and I think they're really really good.

I also like Gardein Fishless Filets, and theres a local business called Native Foods which makes an amazing chkn ranch wrap that honestly tastes better to me than bird flesh ever did.

Loma Linda canned Big Franks are very decent roasted or toasted in the oven, with ketchup and mustard.

I honestly don't care for Yves meatless crumbles, nor do I especially like some of the "sausages" which I find to be too dry. I also strongly dislike Boca burgers that have the "grilled meat" taste - I would honestly eat a veggie burger that tastes like a veggie burger.

So part of it is personal preference, and part of it might having too high expectations for these products to taste like animal flesh. Give it time - sometimes vegetarians actually prefer the products once they have distance from the flavor of animal products - though I have met omnivores who will chow down on a Tofurky roast on the holidays, more than one individual, multiple acquaintances/friends of mine.

• Report Abuse

Posted by MountainVegan at 11/03/16 17:27:04

I'm going to agree with Thalassa4 and say mayeb you just haven't developed your "veg taste" yet. Especially in the Western Industrialised Nations we have been really geared towards fats (often saturated) and sugars (often processed). When most folks switch from a mainstream and processed diet to one of Veg/Vegansim - Whole Foods, they often have an adjustment period developing a taste for Bitters and Clean Oils. Also - if you are getting veg?Vegan "meats" of a particular ingredient base - you may want to switch it up. Vegan "meat" proteins can run the gamut for soy based, gluten. or pea protein. Try some different options - and while you eat - rejoice in the healthiness of your choices.

• Report Abuse

Posted by Robinwomb at 11/06/16 13:35:14

You haven't tasted awesome "fake" vegan meat until you've tried The Herbivorous Butcher Shop in Minneapolis. They will change your opinion on vegan meat. :)

• Report Abuse

Posted by Julz79 at 11/08/16 22:51:41

I agree with originator. I am currently trying to give up all fake meats as they have horrible ingredients that are believe are not healthy. There are a couple brands that are good/better however can't find them in Alaska so far. Here is just a snippet of what is wrong with most fake meats. I am sure you can google for the info.
    "Hexane is a neurotoxin found in soy-based foods that poison the body.
    According to a CBS News article, products such as MorningStar Farms® veggie burger patties contain hexane which is a neurotoxin that severely damages neurons within the body. Neurons are found throughout the brain and nervous system and are critical for various tasks.
    According to a senior researcher at Cornucopia Institute, “If a non-organic product contains a soy protein isolate, soy protein concentrate, or textured vegetable protein, you can be pretty sure it was made using soy beans that were made with hexane.” Unfortunately, the United States Food and Drug Administration (FDA) does not set a maximum residue level or require food manufacturers to test for hexane. Yet, the United States Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) has made lengthy statements about hexane’s negative effects on human health such as neuropathy, muscular weakness, blurred vision, headache, and fatigue.
    Note: Many of these genetically engineered soy products have been linked to sterility, infant mortality and can actually contribute to breast cancer.
    Monosodium glutamate (MSG) is an excitotoxin that is extremely harmful to health.
    The list of ingredients for MorningStar Farms® veggie burger products includes textured vegetable protein (TVP) which is made from soybeans. While some health conscious dieters believe soybeans are a healthy protein choice, the processing of them into TVP includes chemical alterations that are unhealthy. More than that, the processing adds artificial colors, emulsifiers, thickeners, and flavorings. (does this sound healthy to you?)
    One of the additives used for flavoring TVP includes monosodium glutamate (MSG). Even though it is the world’s most extensively used food additive, it is extremely harmful to human health. The fact is that MSG is an excitotoxin that enters the brain through membranes in the mouth, thus entering the bloodstream as it is digested. MSG then overstimulates neuron receptors, damages and kills neuronal cells within the body, and causes a degenerative effect on the brain and nervous system.
    The term “MSG” may be hidden on food labels as it has received a bad reputation over the last several years. Its disguise names may include hydrolyzed vegetable protein, soy protein isolate, calcium caseinate, and autolyzed yeast extract."

I am sad about this because I really like Morningstar breakfast links & patties. I don't think I'll purchase any longer. One brand I was referred to is called 'Hilary's" ha interesting name. (One L) :) don't see that here.
    Happy Election Day! and my first post. :) hope to see you around

• Report Abuse

Posted by tooyoungtopolka at 11/12/16 00:27:18

I have been veg for over 30 years and have never been a big alternative meat fan. This said, I have found a company that knocks my socks off with every product they make......Field Roast.......unbelievable! I have served it to meat eating friends and they are changed! It is so delicious! The Chipolte Field Roast sausage is amazing! A true game changer in my life and all the animals saved!!!!!!!

• Report Abuse

Posted by WhatDoYouEatThen at 12/31/16 09:24:26

I've been veg since 1989, I dont think Ive tried 'fake' meats more than a dozen times (if that even) .. I just never had an interest. Am I missing something?

• Report Abuse

Posted by Robinwomb at 01/01/17 12:44:02

WhatDoYouEatThen,

I just saw a review of yours where you had a vegan "burger and fries". What kind of burger was it?

"Fake" meat is a very general term that can encompass a large variety of vegan food. Fake meat can be made up of vital wheat gluten, tomato paste, chickpeas, and spices. Those are hardly terrible ingredients made up of many chemicals. A commercial veggie burger can be made up of millet, kale, beans, agave, etc. It isn't necessarily an overprocessed soy isolate burger.

I also hate the term "fake" meat. All vegan food is real food. Vegan "meat", nondairy "milk", nondairy "yogurt", veggie burgers etc are all valid foods.