Community: Forum: Vegetarian Discussion

Vegan / Vegetarian Discussion - All Things Veg*n Forum

been vegi for about 6 weeks and am having some probelms with dry skin
especially dry cracked hands and feet
is this some type of vitamin deficiency?
anyone have similar problems when they went vegi??

Responses (11)

• Report Abuse

Posted by eric at 05/04/08 20:21:46

Hi griteater,

You have been veg for only 6 weeks! That's a short time to cause changes like dry skin. Was it dry at all before? Could it be the temp change?
    I'm not a nutritionist, but one of the things that can be an issue for veg*ns that seems to cause dry skin is lack of Omega Oils. I like to take Udos Oil blend, but even a Flax Seed Oil would be a good thing to experiment with. Go for the kind in the refrigerated section of your health food store which has a recent production date to ensure freshness as these oils go rancid.

• Report Abuse

Posted by Tatiana at 05/05/08 09:12:28

Yes, Eric is right. Make sure you're getting enough Omega 3's (and your other essential fats). Also make sure you're getting enough zinc and water, water, water! Dehyration is a common cause of dry skin. If these things don't help, make sure you follow up with your doctor (or if it gets bad, etc, you know the drill ^_^)

• Report Abuse

Posted by gr8vegan at 05/05/08 22:59:11

drink some water!!! you should actually have BETTER skin because you've cut out a lot of fats that clog your pores. Get a stainless steal bottle and fill it up! You're supposed to drink 1/2 your weight in ounces a day. So if you weigh 150lbs that's 75oz of water!

• Report Abuse

Posted by The Veggie Cook at 05/07/08 18:52:54

Yeah, my first response is also to suggest that you drink more liquids.

Oils good for your skin you might like to try: olive oil and jojoba oil.

Let us know if your skin condition improves!

• Report Abuse

Posted by Katylynn2000 at 05/07/08 20:16:16

I agree - WATER! Also, you can make a home made recipe scrub to use in the shower. I just get some kosher salt, epson salt and a little bit of olive oil and mix together (not a lot of olive oil at all). Rub it on your skin in the shower after you have been in there for a few minutes after you use a gentle soap.

Report Abuse

Posted by KellyVeganGirl at 06/18/08 11:01:29

I have really sensitive skin that can get quite dry too.

Just make sure you drink at least 8 cups of water a day and you can use a cruelty free lotion too like Freeman. I love their lotions. They are one of the few companies that don't test ingredients, formulations or final products on animals. Plus they are cheap.

• Report Abuse

Posted by Tatiana at 06/18/08 13:40:58

In addition to the lotion, look for a good soap that isn't drying, best are homemade artisan style soaps, where it is intact without removing the moisturizing component.

Report Abuse

Posted by KellyVeganGirl at 06/19/08 07:55:08

Yeah a good soap helps too. I like Yardley and Method. They are also 100% cruelty- free. Yardley is cheap and Method tends to be more pricey.

Report Abuse

Posted by KellyVeganGirl at 06/25/08 05:01:11

Sorry I made a mistake. Yardley is not cruelty free. Darn. I thought they were.

• Report Abuse

Posted by swati123 at 08/22/10 12:04:01

Try out MeritVCO extra virgin Virgin coconut oil extracted from coconut milk for skin care..

check out www.excelcombine.com / www.meritvco.com

meritvco is excellent massage oil for the skin as well. It acts as an effective moisturizer on all types of skins including dry skin. The benefit of Virgin coconut oil on the skin is comparable to that of mineral oil. Further, unlike mineral oil, there is no chance of having any adverse side effects on the skin with the application of Virgin coconut oil. Virgin coconut oil therefore is a safe solution for preventing dryness and flaking of skin. It also delays wrinkles, and sagging of skin which normally become prominent with age. Virgin coconut oil also helps in treating various skin problems including psoriasis, dermatitis, eczema and other skin infections. Therefore Virgin coconut oil forms the basic ingredient of various body care products such as soaps, lotions, creams, etc., used for skin care.

• Report Abuse

Posted by rmark25 at 08/23/10 18:56:27

I'm going to add my opinion on this, because I can talk from experience..Coconut Oil. just pure coconut oil massaged anywhere on your body after each shower and whenever you need it. trust me, works! I use Extra Virgin Coconut oil with some essential oils for fragrance. I've been doing it for a few years now and I've noticed a few things..a FASTER recovery if I get sunburned, no dry skin in the winter months, and my skin is not as oily and I don't get re blotches on my face lke I had before. Plus, it does whatever the post above me says coconut oil does :-)

Keep HappyCow Growing Strong!

I would like to support