Community: Forum: Vegetarian Discussion

Vegan / Vegetarian Discussion - All Things Veg*n Forum

A well known cook in the UK, with new book out, giving conflicting messages on battery chicken farming

from Times article: http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article3375585.ece

'Asked her position on ethical produce
Ms Smith said she tried to stay out of the "politics of food," which she acknowledged was currently very confusing.

She took a tacit swipe at Jamie Oliver and Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall, fellow chefs who have recently launched a campaign to persuade people not to eat battery-reared hens.

"I'll stick to teaching people to cook," she said.

"I certainly don't like the way battery chickens are reared – I have put in my book to use free-range chicken – but on the other hand I am aware that we still have a lot of poverty, particularly among children in this country and I feel that is a disgrace, and somehow we've got to get everybody to have enough nutritious food in the first place." '

Responses (5)

• Report Abuse

Posted by JohnnySensible at 02/24/08 09:51:39

1980 - classic interview - Kate Bush with Delia Smith.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOo916s2jTI
    More on Kate - http://www.squidoo.com/kate_bush

• Report Abuse

Posted by peanut at 02/24/08 21:23:49

very sweet! Thanks for putting it out there.

Report Abuse

Posted by darky_ at 03/01/08 12:12:02

Thats awesome....I have been loving Kate Bush's music the last few weeks, and i am so happy she is, or was, Vegetarian, but i really hope she is Vegan now...At least I know she doesn't like Cows milk, as far as I know. Heres something she Quoted: -I just could not stand the idea of eating meat - I really do think that it has made me calmer.... People's general awareness is getting much better, even down to buying a pint of milk: the fact that the calves are actually killed so that the milk doesn't go to them but to us cannot really be right, and if you have seen a cow in a state of extreme distress because it cannot understand why its calf isn't by, it can make you think a lot. ~Kate Bush

:D hehehe I am pleased. Same about Alyssa Milano, Cory Feldman, PJ Harvey (At least I I hope she is still veggie somehow, esecially vegan)...They're some old favorite celebs. Its nice to see them doing a good thing apart from the great music and acting they do.

Report Abuse

Posted by Gorgeous at 03/03/08 04:47:32

Kate's classic 1980 line was "You can even cook them in Marmite"!
    From - lifeandhealth.guardian.co.uk/food/story/0,,1614469,00.html
    "Your mate, Marmite, with 1750mg per 100g, has more glutamate in it than any other manufactured product on the planet - except a jar of Gourmet Powder straight from the Ajinomoto MSG factory. On the label, Marmite calls it 'yeast extract'. Nowhere in all their literature does the word 'glutamate' appear. I asked Unilever why they were so shy about their spread's key ingredient, and their PR told me that it was because it was 'naturally occurring ... the glutamate occurs naturally in the yeast'."
    I can still find nothing to conclusively show that MSG is harmful in any way to us hum-an-imals!

Report Abuse

Posted by Xzigalia at 03/16/08 20:45:06

I understand what Delia Smith is saying. A lot of cruelty-free foods are much more expensive. And some people of limited means might find it hard to make ends meet without having food made even more expensive. Personally, if there isn't free-range chicken in store, I won't buy it, but I think the focus should be taken off exactly what Delia said and should really be more of a statement as to what a shame it is that it is cheaper to support cruelty.

Keep HappyCow Growing Strong!

I would like to support