Community: Forum: Vegetarian Discussion

Vegan / Vegetarian Discussion - All Things Veg*n Forum

Hi! I have some friends and family that feel like I'm a animal loving hippie who needs more protein, even though every day I eat a full bag of pistachios/peanuts, or lots of kale! The people seem to turn into an expert on protein, when I've actually studied the topic! I've been nice forever, and now I just want some smart aleck comment that'll make them shut up! Thanks for your help!

Responses (7)

• Report Abuse

Posted by pinkvegetarian at 03/29/15 22:25:48

So post anything that will make my friends/family (not the family that lives in my house, my cousins) understand/be shocked. Thanks!

• Report Abuse

Posted by Gunnar at 03/30/15 04:00:07

One of the things you can ask them is where the animals they eat get there protein and calsium from.
    They get there protein from plantbased foods.
    Also look at biggest animals like elephants,giraffs.

• Report Abuse

Posted by ahimsa32fa at 03/30/15 10:37:52

pinkveg-

You might like my article, "How to Respond to Meat-eaters, Hunters, etc." You can read it by going to my "Thinkin' Folks Books" website and clicking on "Essays".

• Report Abuse

Posted by pinkvegetarian at 03/30/15 19:05:53

Thanks! I love your idea Gunnar, and I'll look at that ahimasa!

Report Abuse

Posted by Nina Adel at 04/03/15 12:46:02

Patrick Baboumian has won the title of Germany's strongest man in 2011, and he's vegan. And so are many other bodybuilders, strongman and top level athletes.

• Report Abuse

Posted by pinkvegetarian at 04/04/15 05:00:48

Thats awesome! Thanks!

• Report Abuse

Posted by happycowgirl at 05/03/15 16:25:49

This question is an easy one for me. If people look at me and say, "Oh my gosh! You can't be a vegetarian! You need more protein!" I say, "Well, I've been a vegetarian for 25 years and a vegan for 3. I have the cholesterol profile of an elite athlete and am one of the healthiest people I know. So no, I don't need more protein."

My "go to" attitude is to always make it about ME and remind them it's not about THEM. They can eat all the artery-clogging dead animals they want. I know better.

Keep HappyCow Growing Strong!

I would like to support