Community: Forum: Vegetarian Discussion

Vegan / Vegetarian Discussion - All Things Veg*n Forum

I'm having trouble keeping my mental connection between the packaged meat, and the animal suffering I see on the screen-I feel like I should be having a visceral reaction to visualizing the meat I crave, and have my mind then connect to the image of suffering and identify with that. is there some kind of way to galvanize inside me this connection-to feel it versus just think it?

Responses (5)

• Report Abuse

Posted by marlicious at 10/21/17 07:47:51

You could just avoid the meat aisles so you don't get tempted. Everytie you crave meat, remind yourself why you're doing this, watch some videos, read some posts on Happy Cow etc.

• Report Abuse

Posted by ForestNymph at 11/26/17 03:14:31

I don't know. When I went vegan I had a nightmare that there were dead people hanging up on meathooks and then someone threw a side of what was supposedly a side of pork (pig flesh) on the floor, and ever since then meat looks like murder to me.

I'm not joking.

I never liked meat that much though and when I have cravings for protein dense or high caloric foods, I make sure I eat a veggie burger, or something with plenty of tofu in it, make a noodle dish with peanut butter as part of the base, or something along those lines ....likely what you're actually craving is high caloric fatty food or protein. Your mind just associates it with meat because that's what your parents fed you.

Watch the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre. Watching it as an adult vegetarian or vegan may actually trigger you to have the visceral perception shift. Tobe Hooper intentionally made the horror film about the factory farming meat industry.

• Report Abuse

Posted by ForestNymph at 11/26/17 03:27:11

Another thing that occurs to me is that most Americans under 70-80 years old have never been to a "traditional" butcher. Maybe you could look up a traditional butcher near you and visit to see the pig heads hanging on hooks and bloody cow tongues and that might do it. I know a lot of Mexican carnecerias are effing gross - even the one's in America smell bloody and like dead bodies, they handle meat very differently as a culture.

Other movies you could watch besides TCM (which I still recommend) are Grave Indiscretion and Delicatessan. Both are cult films I watched in my 20s that are about cannibalism and murder under the guise of feeding or selling animal's flesh to other people.

• Report Abuse

Posted by poivron at 11/26/17 17:07:47

It is not at all surprising not to make the connection between a package of meat in the meat aisle of your grocery store and the torture and killing that brought it there. Think about it: if it were easy to make that connection, no one would eat animals. The entire factory farm industry is based on ensuring that people won't make that connection. That's why it's illegal in many states to photograph or film what goes on inside factory farms.

Go easy on yourself. The fact that you still crave meat sometimes and don't see tortured animals whenever you see a package of meat doesn't mean there is anything wrong with you. If you're in the early days and are having trouble staying motivated, you can read books like "Eating Animals" by Jonathan Safran Foer and "The Ethics of What We Eat" by Peter Singer. In my case, it was helpful to remind myself at the end of each day of how many animals I had saved that day by not eating them. It gets easier with time.

• Report Abuse

Posted by RachdD at 11/27/17 13:52:47

This is one of the things I'm struggling with also. It's starting to sink in slowly, I think it's easy to disassociate meat from an animal if it's something you've grown up eating, it's just "the norm". It's more about learning and building the connection for yourself in a way that reinforces your own reasons for wanting to go veggie - or it is for me anyway!

Keep HappyCow Growing Strong!

I would like to support