HappyCow is loading...

Community: Forum: Vegetarian Discussion

Vegetarian Discussion - All Things Veg*n Forum

Hi everybody. I've been vegetarian almost two years. Best decision I've ever made. I enjoy better health and have more energy. But being vegetarian can create new challenges.

So I just wonder, what’s the biggest challenge or frustration you’re having with being vegetarian/vegan?

Responses (8)

• Report Abuse

Posted by ahimsa32fa at 11/15/15 03:56:47

The insensitivity of humans toward the other animals. I explore this phenomenon (the concept of human superiority) in detail in my books.

"Humans invented The Golden Rule, and then decided to apply it only to other humans."

• Report Abuse

Posted by juliaroberts2403 at 11/18/15 22:20:58

As a vegan by biggest frustration is that man is not at all kind with animals.

• Report Abuse

Posted by ahimsa32fa at 11/19/15 05:40:41

Within your comment is a key to the problem.

Because of the illusion of separation from and superiority over the OTHER animals, humans have come to use terms like, "man and the animals".

Humans are NOT separate from or above the other animals, we are members of the animal kingdom. The other animals are not just our kin, but our potential friends and teachers.

• Report Abuse

Posted by TalkinBoutPractice at 11/29/15 11:22:57

When I ask if there is anything Vegan and the food service attendant says yes we have vegetarian. Dairy is the real deal breaker for me. Vegetarians frustrate me because its popularity confuses the two terms which are very different for me. All these meat establishments think they are satisfying the Vegan by having vegetarian options! So **ck*ng frustrating.

• Report Abuse

Posted by Thalassa4 at 12/08/15 02:37:42

Me. I am honestly my own biggest challenge. I live in a vegetarian friendly metropolitan area. ..my biggest challenges have been friends, cravings and my own lack of information. I'm not desperately poor or isolated, but I'm guilted by friends on holidays, my mother's casual mention of the delicious food at church, and my own mismanagement (like not taking an iron supplement or eating better on my period, literally feeling like another being overtook me)....

It's so hard because for some people it's ignorance, for some people it's resources, and for some of us it's mostly social conditioning.

But I think it will make me a better human being to stand up to my social programming, in every way.

• Report Abuse

Posted by Thalassa4 at 12/08/15 02:42:47

I also though just worry over how anyone treats the earth or animal. It's so devastating almost to become numb...seeing idiots drive SUVs on nature preserves, I get so overwhelmed by it, and I realize I've been hardening myself to this my whole life, the mistreatment of farm animals and the gas guzzling driving over the uncultivated land...I grew up in West Virginia, so it's been a long hard road out of hell to even function among other people without numbing out. My problem is not lack of sensitivity but too much, blunted by life.

• Report Abuse

Posted by ahimsa32fa at 12/08/15 04:06:37

T-

I think you'd like "Expanding the Circles of Compassion", - the most complemented chapter in my last book. It details how human culture discourages compassion from birth on, and how to prevent this.

You can read it at my Thinkin' Folks Books website - www.sites.google.com/site/thefirstism/

Just click on "Essays" and then on "Circles".

• Report Abuse

Posted by Robinwomb at 12/09/15 18:10:49

ahimsa,

Thank you for sharing your writings! I read some of the "Expanding the Circles of Compassion" and found it refreshing! Such a difficult world we live in.

You need to be logged in or registered to post.

Your browser is out-of-date!

Update your browser to view this website correctly. Update my browser now