HappyCow is loading...

Community: Forum: Vegetarian Discussion

Vegan / Vegetarian Discussion - All Things Veg*n Forum

hi, i have been doing some soul searching recently about this issue. i have decided that veg*ism is the right road for me. it will probably take some time for me to completly transform, so i will take it one step at a time. we are getting some chickens soon and i wondered if it is accepted practice to eat the eggs of your chickens. i will regardless, in my opinion they are going to lay them anyway. i would like to hear opinions on why i shouldn't. i can really see no harm that will come to them. we will love them and treat them as well as our other pets.
the thought of putting animal flesh in my mouth is starting to make me physically ill. on a lighter side, i am dreading the thought that my favorite food, chinese, will never taste the same. trust me, when i go there the last thing on my plate is the veggies.
another issue is my husband and my daughter at this point have no interest in doing this, they say the support me, but i will still be cooking meat. my goal is to slowly introduce veggie meals and fake meats. maybe they will come around.
i just finished baking my first tofu meal, not sure about the texture, kinda reminds me of scrambled eggs, lol.

Responses (8)

• Report Abuse

Posted by Terry B. at 07/18/08 17:54:08

You are going to have to answer the questions that you posed for yourself.

Regarding the eggs, you need to ask yourself why you have decided to eat the way that you have and see how eggs fit into that picture. On another discussion board, I saw a similar question one time and was somewhat surprised that consuming eggs in the fashion that you are proposing was actually torturing the chickens. (The same board proposed that mock meats was perhaps worse than pedophilia, so perhaps it is not as balanced as you would like.) My belief is that if you are going to eat eggs, you are doing it in the most humane and ecologically friendly manner.

I do have to say that you are wrong about Chinese food, though I have heard that before. Chinese, after perhaps Indian, is the easiest ethnic food to eat vegetarian, in my opinion.

• Report Abuse

Posted by Stovedevil at 07/18/08 22:21:29

If you want to become a vegetarian, you have to blow off what you're family says.
    The men in my family think that their [censored] are going to rot and fall off if they don't eat meat at least twice a day.

They are hopelessly opposed to what you want to do.

Become a vegetarian on your own terms, one step at a time, and feel good about what you are doing.

Yer cow eating dingbats may never understand , but sometimes you have look out for youself.

You can always point at they're fat guts as justification...

• Report Abuse

Posted by treehugger at 07/20/08 12:12:09

I see no problem with eating eggs from your own chickens. The reason I don't eat eggs is because I don't eat any food that has resulted from cruelty and suffering. Your own chickens will be loved and free and generally have the kind of life chickens should have.
    You wanna eat them eggs?
    You eat 'em!

:)

• Report Abuse

Posted by JohnnySensible at 07/20/08 15:38:18

Please think deeply before "getting some chickens soon".

Please read this page & browse through the United Poultry Concern site - http://www.upc-online.org/chickens/chickensbro.html

Please listen to this audio of United Poultry Concern's Karen Davis talking with Tina Volpe - http://www.globaltalkradio.com/ondemand/shows/wakeupamerica/2006Aug21/index.asx

"getting" chickens means that someone else has killed the cockerels "on your behalf".

Chickens are highly sociable animals.

Chickens "go broody".

Chickens are great mothers.

Evolved humans do not need to exploit chickens.
    Some Wikipedia excerpts - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicken
    Chickens in nature may live for five to eleven years depending on the breed. In commercial intensive farming, a meat Chicken generally lives only six weeks before slaughter. A free range or organic meat Chicken will usually be slaughtered at about 14 weeks.
    Under natural conditions most birds lay only until a clutch is complete, and they will then incubate all the eggs. Many domestic hens will also do this – and are then said to go broody. The broody hen will stop laying and instead will focus on the incubation of the eggs (a full clutch is usually about 12 eggs). She will sit or set fast on the nest, protesting or pecking in defense if disturbed or removed, and she will rarely leave the nest to eat, drink, or dust-bathe. While brooding, the hen maintains the nest at a constant temperature and humidity, as well as turning the eggs regularly during the first part of the incubation.
    "O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, you who kill the prophets and stone those sent to you, how often I have longed to gather your children together, as a hen gathers her chicks under her wings, but you were not willing." (Matthew 23:37; also Luke 13:34).
    The Talmud speaks of learning "courtesy toward one's mate" from the rooster. This might refer to the fact that when a rooster finds something good to eat, he calls his hens to eat first.

• Report Abuse

Posted by apetro at 07/20/08 19:57:59

thank you for all the replies! today was my second day as a vegetarian and all is well i am happy to say. my family is pretty supportive. one thing is they will think of something that i loved in the past like chicken and dumplings and ask "what about that?" i just smile and say i am done with it. i see their eyebrows going up, but time will show them, lol. that is one of the many dishes that i have always been expected to bring to family functions, but i won't anymore.
    on the chicken issue, we are getting the chickens whether i eat their eggs or not. my brother-in-law lost his house to a fire and the chickens were his pets. he hasn't anywhere to keep them so we are taking them. i was planning on eating the eggs but the more info i get, the more it turns my stomach to eat anything animal related.
    thanks for all the info, i really like this site and plan to visit often.

• Report Abuse

Posted by celeste at 07/30/08 02:38:53

I'm of the belief that who ever is the cook in the house has full control of the other's diet in the house. I say,if your daughter and husband want to continue to eat meat,they(or your husband,i don't know how old your daughter is) should make it themselves or else just eat it outside of the house. I'm so completely against eating meat,and I find it repulsive and ,well,strange,so I refuse to cook it.
    I told my husband,when I moved in with him,that since I will be cooking(something I love,not something I'm forced to do) there will be no meat served unless he cooks it himself.Otherwise he would have to eat it at restaurants or at work.Well,after being with him for about 6 month,he's gone vegetarian.I didn't force it upon him,I just refused to cook something I found upsetting.While he was still eating meat he got his fill at work,it just more and more made him sick both physically and mentally.After eating pork on Christmas at his parents house,he found it so disgusting he decided to quit.He's been very happy since.
    What I'm saying is,since you have the power in the kitchen(I'm assuming,I apologize if this is incorrect) and you've made a choice to change your life,you don't have to force it on them,just stick to you newfound beliefs.It will also make it easier for you to be vegetarian since you won't have to be making it and touching it. Of course,for me that would make starting to be a vegetarian even easier since the smell makes me sick.
    Good luck and congratulations!!

• Report Abuse

Posted by eat_ur_beans at 08/02/08 09:04:21

oh! yay!!! great thread- just what i was lookin for! i'm so glad i found this place!!

apetro- sounds like we are living parallel lives!! my husband says "the whole reason for eating meat is for the meat/man's instinct is to hunt and men are carnivorous and i'm not fighting my animal desire for meat-eating." he is actually a fairly intellectual kinda guy, but sometimes, his alpha male machismo kinda blinds him, hehe.

my 5 year old daughter saw the school meat/sick cows thing on tv by chance last year and was sickened (as were we all) and saddened (she is an animal lover, esp cows and horses), and for a week said she wqas vegetarian. i tried to encourage it, but we were right back in the same habits. she is doing yoga with me though, so i'm hoping to influence her a little more into joining me on my going veg journey.

i just wrote in my introduction that i can't make myself want veggies, but like you, the thought of eating animal flesh is indeed nauseating and depressing. i'm in quite the rut. my biggest problem is dairy- i can't escape chocolate milk cravings- and i think i may be lactose intolerant because my stomach feels so bloated and heavy for HOURS after i drink it...

anyway, good luck to ya!

• Report Abuse

Posted by apetro at 08/02/08 12:24:40

i know what you mean about the man/meat eater deal. i am on day 15 and haven't slipped, my family sees that i am serious about this. i am the cook in my family, my husband works very hard and my daughter goes to college full time and works full time. i am finding it easier to get around the meat issue altho they are still eating it. we go to burger king for cheeseburgers, i get the veggie burger. we get hot chicken from the deli and i get a veggie plate with mashed potatoes, corn, and mac and cheese. you get the idea. i am off drinking milk and eating eggs but i still eat processed foods with those items in it. i plan to faze those out in time. i am finding out that being a vegetarian isn't just about green veggies altho they are very, very good for you and i like a couple. the potato and bean burritos are my new best friends, lol. lot's of great fruits too. think about all the food in the grocery store and how small the meat dept. is. (at least at mine) so there is tons of food to choose from for vegetarianism. also if that video had an effect on you then there are tons more to see online. if you google the documentry Earthlings you can watch it online for free. it is really good with lots of info laid out so well. i wish you and your family lots of luck!

You need to be logged in or registered to post.

Your browser is out-of-date!

Update your browser to view this website correctly. Update my browser now