Community: Forum: Vegetarian Discussion

Vegan / Vegetarian Discussion - All Things Veg*n Forum

Hi,

My name is Sigmund and I have been living in Japan for the last 2 months. I am vegetarian but I love the idea of sushi. Japan is a pretty tough place to be a veggie, so I'm wondering if it is ok to eat the occaisional bit of salmon or something just to tide me by. Any veggie alternatives to sushi toppings would be awesome.

I saw whale on sale the other day. It looked gross.

Responses (3)

• Report Abuse

Posted by snowisfalling at 07/21/09 12:47:52

Eating salmon wouldn't make you a vegetarian anymore, but it is ultimately up to you what you want to do.

I miss sushi with fish too, but vegetable sushi usually satisfies my craving for it.

• Report Abuse

Posted by Yoshi at 07/21/09 16:54:25

I find that once you add the soy sauce and wasabi, veggie sushi is every bit as good as sushi with fish. Nothing beats that head rush from too much wasabi and the slight lightheadedness from too much salt!!

• Report Abuse

Posted by AndyT at 07/01/10 05:43:32

Yes, there are some great vegetarian sushi toppings. Ask your favourite sushi chef to prepare you some rolls filled with takuan (marinated radish), kampyo (marinated pumpkin), cucumber, avocado, natto (you must try this!!!!), shiitake mushrooms, ume (plum), cucumber, shiso (mint leaves), and also take inari-zushi (fried tofu 'pockets' filled with sweetened rice).

Watch out for tamago (omlet) - this is normally prepared with dashi (seaweed and tuna-based soup stock). Also, in futomaki (big roll), there is often some pink stuff that is made from sugar and dried tunafish flakes - better avoid that.

Hope that helps a bit...

Best regards,
    Andy

PS: I LOVED 'real' sushi with dead fish in it - my favourite was uni, the sea urchin - but I like it even better now that no animals need to be killed for me...

Keep HappyCow Growing Strong!

I would like to support