Community: Forum: Recipes & Cooking

Vegan Cooking Tips and Recipes Forum

What are the best vegan mozzarella cheeses? I tried follow your heart mozzarella shreds to eat with pupusas 2 times and it was disgusting. The pupusa easily breaks apart too, and the cheese is also messy so I had to keep cleaning my hands. I also ate the cheese as a quesadilla and it was still disgusting. I'm vegetarian. My parents and sibling also didn't like it. I won't be buying it again.

What brands have the best mozzarella cheese that either come in shreds or blocks?

Btw, I am aware they sell frozen vegan pupusas, but I refuse to eat it for several reasons. Pupusas are my country's national dish. These frozen vegan pupusas are so small. I don't even think it comes with coleslaw or the sauce. I eat pupusas with both because that's what a pupusa is meant to be eaten like and that's how I like it. I don't eat wannabe pupusas. I'm vegetarian.

Responses (10)

• Report Abuse

Posted by happah10 at 10/14/17 01:35:57

I don't know what a papusa is... Sounds like something the leader of my country would want to grab. Anyway, my two cents on the vegan mock shredded cheese is that it tastes like oil. That's because that's pretty much all it is. I find the odor extremely off putting as well. Daiya is my least favorite because it doesn't melt properly. The follow your heart melts much better but the idea of topping my pizza (or whatever) with copious amounts of oil doesn't make sense to me anymore now that i think about what I'm eating. .
    If you have Chao Cheese , that is much better IMO. Its got tofu in it. No odor, melts perfectly and its got actual flavor. I think it only available in slices but thats what a knife is for.

I haven't tried any of the cashew based cheeses yet. Cant find any here yet.

Oddly i like the Daiya frozen pizzas much better than any pizza i have ever tried to make with their cheese. They must put a ton of sugar in it.

• Report Abuse

Posted by MobiusX at 10/14/17 09:13:32

I just went to the site. I don't see mozzarella vegan cheese....

Report Abuse

Posted by Star the magic vegan at 10/14/17 19:00:04

Happah10-

Pupusas were first created centuries ago by the Pipil tribes who inhabited the territory now known as El Salvador. Cooking implements for their preparation have been excavated in Joya de Cerén, "El Salvador's Pompeii", site of a native village that was buried by ashes from a volcano explosion, and where foodstuffs were preserved as they were being cooked almost 2000 years ago. The instruments for their preparation have also been found in other archaeological sites in El Salvador.

The pre-Columbian pupusa were vegetarian and half-moon shaped. They were filled with squash flowers and buds, herbs such chipilin and mora, fungi and salt. By 1570 meat had been incorporated into the filling, as noted by Franciscan monk Bernardino De Sahagun.

In the late 1940s, pupusas were still not widespread across El Salvador, and were mostly localized in the central towns, such as Quezaltepeque, and cities of the country. As the population began migrating to other areas in the 1960s, pupusa stands proliferated across the country and in neighboring areas of Honduras and Guatemala, sometimes with variations in shape, size or filling. In Guatemala during the 1970s, pupusas had a half-moon shape. The half-moon shape would be considered a half-eaten pupusa in the Chalatenango area; fish pupusas were uncommon, and pupusas served east of the Lempa River usually had a much larger diameter.

In the 1980s, the Salvadoran civil war forced a Salvadoran migration to other countries, mainly the United States. Therefore, pupusas became available outside the country wherever a Salvadoran community was found. Immigrants have brought the dish to most areas of the United States. Pupuserías also may be found in many areas of Canada. In recent years, pupusas can even be found in some Latin American restaurants in Adelaide, Melbourne and Sydney in Australia.

On 1 April 2005, the Salvadoran Legislative Assembly declared pupusas as the national dish of El Salvador and every second Sunday of November would be National Pupusas Day. A fair is typically held on the day in the capital and a few big cities. On 10 November 2007, in celebration of National Pupusa day, the Secretary of Culture organized a fair in the capital park in which they would make the world biggest pupusa. The pupusa was 3.15 meters in diameter and was made with 200 lb. of masa, 40 lb. of cheese, and 40 lb. of chicharrón. It fed 5,000 people. Five years later, the record was broken again with a pupusa with 4.25 meters in diameter. Guinness World Records lists the largest Pupusa at 4.5 metres, created in Olocuilta, El Salvador on November 8, 2015.

On 25 September 2011 the pupusas were named that year’s Best Street Food in New York.

Both at home and abroad, pupusas are traditionally served with curtido (a pickled cabbage relish, analogous to German Sauerkraut and Korean kimchi that comes in mild and spicy varieties) and tomato sauce, and are traditionally eaten by hand.

Report Abuse

Posted by Star the magic vegan at 10/14/17 19:05:54

MobiusX

Have you tried:

Go Veggie Mozzarella or Lisanatti Mozzarella Style Almond Cheese? These are available at whole foods.

At the Veg Fairs there are many.

On line there are dozens of recipes how to make your own Vegan Mozzarella cheese and on YouTube too. If you come up with a good recipe maybe you can market it.

Report Abuse

Posted by Star the magic vegan at 10/14/17 19:10:55

Mobius-

I almost forgot my favorite, the ones above I have not tried , but this one I have...

Follow Your Heart Vegan Mozzarella Cheese:

Mozzarella (81% Organic)

The creamy and authentic flavor of this Mozzarella cheese alternative makes this product a natural fit for pizzas, salads, sandwiches, and anywhere else you’d use mozzarella cheese. Try it with tomatoes, basil, and balsamic vinegar for a Caprese salad! Now even better because it’s made with over 80% organic ingredients.

I do not eat much cheese any more, too fattening.

• Report Abuse

Posted by MobiusX at 10/20/17 15:57:54

The only mozzarella cheese they sell in my area is follow your heart which is just disgusting and daiya. I bought daiya but still didn't try it. If I don't like it O am just sticking with real cheese. I don't have time to make my own mozzarella cheese. Vegan options are very limited. So many of my favorite foods I wouldn't be to eat if I was vegan. And alternative for these foods for vegans do not exist... And if they do it's expensive and just a small amount and many times it doesn't even taste good. Why would I buy something expensive that won't last long and taste disgusting? I will stay vegetarian

Report Abuse

Posted by andyz at 11/29/17 10:46:41

My favs are Daiya Mozzarella Shreds, Daiya Cutting Board Collection Shreds and ollow Your Heart Vegan Gourmet Shreds. All of them taste delicious!

• Report Abuse

Posted by betterMonica at 12/02/17 14:07:24

Thank you for useful info! I was looking for vegan cheese for a long time

• Report Abuse

Posted by ForestNymph at 12/02/17 21:34:47

Ok I have two suggestions - I made a stuffed shell vegan recipe by Vegan Zombie multiple times which omnis will happily eat - you mix meatless crumbles (i.e. vegan "ground beef") like Gardein or your favorite brand, with Tofutti cream cheese and Better Than Sour Cream, along with spices (and in this recipe,onions) and all mixed together it has an amazing "cheesy" flavor as it's blended with the meatless crumbles, spices and onions - then you put marinara sauce on top to bake, and Daiya is optional on top. It is great without Daiya, though, so it could potentially be used in a burrito or pupusa filling with different spices and veggies and a traditional sauce.

Daiya is great on pizza, especially with a great sauce and crust, and veggies cut on top. However, Daiya is usually only my preference for pizza, though I have sometimes eaten their vegan mac n cheez, it's a different blend than the mozzarella shreds.

I know you said you hated the Follow Your Heart shreds....but Follow Your Heart also makes block cheese that is organic. It's called "vegan gourmet" and it has a bit of a different recipe than the shreds, so you might want to try to the FYH vegan gourmet blocks of mozzarella instead of the shreds.

• Report Abuse

Posted by ForestNymph at 12/02/17 21:53:15

I'm also kind of howling at this post because I used to live a few streets away from the original Follow Your Heart grocery store and restaurant, and their food is EXCELLENT. They make their own cottage tofu with herbs to put on sandwiches, and they have new flavors in the gourmet block line like Smoked Gouda which are too incredible for words.

I'm honestly wondering if your experience is based on having the "old recipe" shreds which admittedly aren't as good as the newer recipe mozzarella block (which I have honestly eaten pieces of cold out of the refrigerator before) and/or if because you're so expecting cheese that your palate is confused. Vegan cheese can be absolutely delicious (especially things like Chao or Heidi Ho Ne Chevre) but if your palate expects dairy, it may be a disaster.

That's why I recommend mixing the vegan cream cheese and vegan sour cream with crumbles, spices, and onions (or other veggies) for the filling instead, because somehow the mixture chemistry even appeals to vegetarians and omnis.

Most vegans get off cheese addiction by eating things like hummus, tahini, avocados and guacamole or olive oil in place of cheese for a a couple of weeks to a month before adding in vegan cheese to their diet. You have to get away from the expectation of tasting cow's milk.

I can tell you that you get over it too. One of my roommates is vegetarian and the cheese she keeps in the refrigerator is about as appealing to me as a bowl of soured, curdled old milk.

Keep HappyCow Growing Strong!

I would like to support