Community: Forum: Recipes & Cooking

Vegan Cooking Tips and Recipes Forum

Hello all,
I'm struggling with finding the best Vegan Sub. for Macaroni and Cheese any good recipes? It is my favorite food to eat. I use to make a Baked White Cheddar Macaroni and Cheese Dish. Its hard enough giving up dairy. Giving up my favorite food is even harder. What are the best tasting Vegan Cheeses? I tried Daiya Cheddar Slices. It has a strange after taste. I could not eat it by itself. Can someone please point in the right direction?

Responses (8)

• Report Abuse

Posted by ahimsa32fa at 01/04/17 12:09:09

"Macaroni" is generally taken to mean a certain shape of white flour pasta. I love pasta too, but I choose organic whole grain wheat, quinoa, oats or rice.

I don't buy the non-dairy cheeses often because they're usually too expensive, though I like several of them. "Cheese" can also be made rather easily from a variety of nuts. A search for "vegan cheese" on the web will bring up a lot of stuff!

• Report Abuse

Posted by Jackzy007 at 01/05/17 04:42:12

Yes I tried the Potato and Carrot "Cheese" Sauce the recipe just did not work out. Just was hoping someone found a good that they know will pass as the real thing. In the past I have used whole wheat elbow pasta for this dish. Thank you for responding!

• Report Abuse

Posted by EvaVeggie at 01/05/17 21:52:17

Below is my favorite recipe for vegan mac and cheese. It doesn't use any store-bought cheese alternatives. The "cheesy" flavor comes from nutritional yeast. Some people don't like nutritional yeast, but I love it so this is my go-to recipe:

https://happyherbivore.com/recipe/soy-free-mac-n-cheese

If you're not a nutritional yeast person, try this recipe with butternut squash. It's a little more work and you need a blender, but it's very tasty:

www.veggieinspiredjourney.com/butternut-mac

• Report Abuse

Posted by debbitage at 03/26/17 12:22:31

In a pinch, I stir in a slice of Daiya Cheddar and a slice of Daiya Provolone cheese and a dab of milk with some pasta. This is for one person. It reminds me of the Velveeta variety of Mac n' Cheese. If you would rather avoid cheese products, try the following recipe, which I have made. My son actually liked it and that's a good seal of approval. blog.fatfreevegan.com/2007/10/easy-macaroni-and-cheeze.html

• Report Abuse

Posted by leonora at 09/27/17 23:16:53

veganyumminess.com/creamy-vegan-mac-and-cheese/
    It doesn't taste like the "normal" macn'cheese of course, but I liked it , prefer it even :D

• Report Abuse

Posted by ricerica at 10/10/17 20:13:12

I like to make my own pasta. Here is a nice recipe for that:

https://minimalistbaker.com/homemade-vegan-pasta/

• Report Abuse

Posted by ForestNymph at 10/29/17 20:52:15

I really like making a roux out of a spoonful of flour, a little oil or Earth Balance, and allowing it to gently brown, before adding a cup of plain unsweetened soy milk. I let it bubble until it thickens over medium heat, then I add 1/2 cup (or 1 whole cup by taste) of nutritional yeast and stir. Finally I add some "seasoning" - salt and pepper, but also a squirt or two of dijon or grain mustard, 1/2 a teaspoon of tumeric, and some granulated garlic (or you could use garlic salt instead of regular salt).

This makes a great thick pasta sauce that has a "cheezy" flavor because of the nooch. It also satisfies nutritional cravings because nooch has B12, amino acids and adds a little extra protein.

If it gets too thick before adding over pasta, just add another splash or two of soy milk to thin.

I have also tried this with cooked broccoli or spinach stirred in, or with paprika or hot sauce instead of garlic.

It's not the bland taste of plain mac n cheese though, so for that you probably actually have to buy Field Roast Chao or a box of the pre-made Daiya mac and cheez, it comes with a little pouch and is nutritionally fortified, and it comes with gluten-free brown rice pasta. I think it's pretty good. If you don't like the cheddar flavor, there's also the white cheddar with peas and carrots.

• Report Abuse

Posted by justinbillingsley at 02/14/18 00:40:01

I made a vegan mac and cheese meal for my blog with my sister. It didn’t quite have that mac and cheese taste, but it is a very healthy recipe. I'm currently working on perfecting my recipe! Here is the blog post I made: www.justinbillingsleyarizona.com/making-vegan-mac-and-cheese/

Keep HappyCow Growing Strong!

I would like to support