Community: Forum: Recipes & Cooking

Vegan Cooking Tips and Recipes Forum

I'm recently veggie and moving towards a vegan diet but I'm having difficulty making vegetarian food with that lovely rich sauce you get from using meat. Is there anyway of getting a nice rich sauce in a chilli that I'm missing?

Thank you

Responses (5)

• Report Abuse

Posted by blusky at 01/26/15 13:08:34

I make a vegan chili that I've never had an omni notice is vegan. It uses textured vegetable protein (TVP), which is also called textured soy protein (TSP). Be aware that this is a soy product, and it's processed, which some people choose to stay away from. I buy the brown colored TVP by mail, as it looks like cooked ground meat. I use it only for my chili and my spaghetti Bolognese, so it's not on the menu too frequently.

I don't measure anything precisely, but here it is in general terms:

Soak two cups of beans (pinto, black, or any bean of your choice) for 8 to 12 hours. Cook using the method of your choice.

Put cooked beans in a slow cooker, along with a 15 oz can of diced tomatoes (or two). Add 1 cup TVP along with 1 tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder (trust me!), dried onion flakes, garlic powder, 1 tbsp. Mexican oregano flakes, lots of chili powder, a small can or two of diced green chiles. Add enough water to keep all ingredients moist, but not enough to make it too soupy. Cook on high for 2-3 hours, or low all day. The TVP will rehydrate and soak up some of the water. Check every once in a while to make sure it's not getting too dry.

About 1/2 hour before serving, add salt to taste, plus about one cup chopped fresh cilantro (coriander). If the chili is a little watery, sprinkle some cornmeal flour (not cornstarch!) into the pot and stir. I always have cornmeal available when I make chili, so that I can make vegan cornbread to accompany it.

If I have beer available, I sometimes replace some of the water in the pot with beer.

It's really a matter of tasting as you go along. I hope this helps.

• Report Abuse

Posted by ahimsa32fa at 01/27/15 07:30:34

Most of the negative info about soybeans comes from the meat industry, who want to feed all the soybeans to cattle, so they can sell you protein in the form of flesh. It's much more profitable that way, especially when we pay the huge subsidies the meat and dairy industries get, via our taxes.

A google search under "vegan chili" will reveal many recipes.

• Report Abuse

Posted by Montgomery at 02/12/15 01:04:54

Check this out: www.myrecipes.com/healthy-diet/calorie-counts/healthy-chili-recipes

• Report Abuse

Posted by Deb123 at 02/13/15 01:12:22

Thank you. That's all really helpful :-D

Report Abuse

Posted by parthenonindy at 03/26/15 00:07:16

wow amazing recipe i will surely try this thank you for sharing this.
    https://www.parthenonindy.com