Community: Forum: Recipes & Cooking

Vegan Cooking Tips and Recipes Forum

Author Avatar
Hi!
I'm trying to become vegetarian but I have trouble finding easy and nutritious recipes that I like (which makes it really hard to change lifestyle).

So maybe you could send your favorite vegetarian/vegan dish of all time?

Thank you :)

Responses (5)

• Report Abuse

Posted by Robinwomb at 09/25/15 03:09:02

Breakfasts:

scrambled chickpeas, cubed potato (leave the skin on), bell pepper, onion, celery, leafy greens with spices like garlic powder, basil, cumin, whatever floats your boat.

Chickpea flour omelet (mix a 1/2 cup of chickpea flour and 1/2 cup of water to get a pancake like consistency. pour into heated nonstick skillet or use a little oil or cooking spray, and spread it around to create a large pancake circle. While it is cooking on low heat, add chopped veggies, leafy greens, salsa, vegan cheese, whatever you desire. Fold over in half like an omelet, flip to the other side and cook another minute). I like to add black pepper and cumin to this one.

Tofu pudding: blend a block of silken tofu or a 1/2 block of firm tofu, a banana, a tablespoon or two of pure cocoa powder, a pinch of salt and a pinch of sweetener. Add a little plant milk or water to adjust thickness/creaminess. Add vanilla extract for added deliciousness.

Toasts with beans on top, maybe a dollup of salsa or blackstrap molasses (goes well with black or white beans and provides added iron and calcium).

Lunch: chickpea salad sandwich (I use Just Mayo or Vegannaise or make my own homemade almond based mayo). Just mash some chickpeas, celery, onion, black pepper and vegan mayo together and add the mixture to sandwiches. I use Rudy's bakery bread or Ezekiel/Food For Life bread as these are vegan breads.

Any kind of soup that is homemade! Vegan split pea soup (requires just split peas, water and/or vegetable broth, carrots, onion, lemon juice, salt and pepper, and a good blender or immersion blender to make it thick and creamy); carrot white bean ginger soup; wild rice cabbage soup; chili vegan style!

Vegan pancakes! banana, coconut, carrot cake, chocolate cardemom, buckwheat blueberry...I add fruit compote on top in place of maple syrup sometimes, and have leafy greens sauted on the side (with the compote on that too) or maple mustard tempeh "bacon".

Baked potatoes with steamed broccoli on top, nutritional yeast sauce or a homemade vegan gravy.

Vegweb is a favorite website/database loaded with vegan recipes, many simple some not. I also like Post Punk Kitchen and the following recipe site uses very easy to find and wholesome plant ingredients for their meals, nothing too weird or hard to find:
    www.all-creatures.org/recipes.html

• Report Abuse

Posted by anahidscv at 09/25/15 14:59:53

Hi Robin, what is the actual recipe for your vegan pancakes? I am looking for a good recipe.

• Report Abuse

Posted by Robinwomb at 09/25/15 20:11:47

These recipes are my all time favorites!

mylittlecelebration.com/vegan-chocolate-cardamom-pancakes/

www.heythattastesgood.com/2007/11/banana-pancakes-can-be-vegan-dairy-free.html

ohsheglows.com/2012/03/08/vegan-gluten-free-vanilla-blueberry-buckwheat-pancakes/

Report Abuse

Posted by MissPiquette at 09/27/15 08:43:17

Oh! Awesome! Thank you so much Robin:) xxx

• Report Abuse

Posted by Thalassa4 at 10/26/15 15:41:54

I think it's harder for people who don't have a strong background in cooking or food preparation. ..at least vegan is. ..I don't understand why being lacto-ovo is difficult for anyone, you're only removing flesh and possibly being more mindful of things like cage free or organic. ..but it's really about understanding that food is largely just combinations of flavors. There are go to staples like onion, garlic, olive or coconut oil, and basic spices like cinnamon, basil, rosemary, chili powder, and/or curry powder. They make it much easier to dress up beans, pulses, and grains. For tofu you can get bottles of soy sauce, peanut butter, sriracha, BBQ sauce and many of your other favorites.

A lot of simple cultures, like say Cajun people, rely on ingredients like onion, bell peppers, and oil/fat mixed with flour to flavor soups, stews and casseroles.

Personally I think these guidelines are just as helpful as actual recipes, because it gets you aware of simple, healthy, affordable basics that you can build on in the future.

Vegan liquid smoke is also a popular flavor that can add a "meaty" taste to vegetarian protein when combined with just a few other spices.

I think it's always helpful to keep around nuts and seeds and dried fruit to snack on or throw into oatmeal, etc.

One of the easiest and most delicious vegan recipes I can think of is:

Rinse a can of garbanzo beans (or a cup of dry cooked) and mash with a whole avacado...fold in fresh cilantro and chopped green onions/scallions to taste....squeeze the juice of one lime and stir well. Add salt and pepper.

You can eat this on a bread of choice, perhaps adding fresh spinach leaves or romaine lettuce and tomato, if desired.

This is a nutritious alternative to things like tuna or egg salad.

Keep HappyCow Growing Strong!

I would like to support