HappyCow is loading...

Community: Forum: Health & Healing

Vegan Health & Nutrition Discussion Forum

Author Avatar
I've noticed that pure maple syrup is used in many recipes for baked goods instead of sugar or sugar substitutes. I am trying to cut sugar out of my diet (except for natural sugar that's in fruit). I assume that maple syrup has a high number of grams of sugar in it (I don't have any in the house for a bottle to look at nutritional info) Anyway, I wouldn't think that maple syrup is good for you, am I correct? Any recommendations for other sweeteners (other than Splenda or Stevia) that are very, very low in the amount (grams) of sugar that they contain?

Responses (5)

• Report Abuse

Posted by Tatiana at 01/10/08 02:20:06

Other than sugar substitutes like Splenda, Equal, etc, and Stevia (the natural sugar substitute), all other sweeteners will have high amounts of sugar, no way around that. Many recipes will call for maple syrup because it is a natural occurring sugar and will also have some nutrients that regular sugar is completely void of. Some other higher nutrient sugar sources are fruit, especially dates for high sugar and sweetening, and molasses (which is what's left over from sugar cane after you take some of the sugar out). There is also agave nectar if you're looking for another natural sugar source (you can also get that raw friendly).

• Report Abuse

Posted by Aardy at 02/02/08 00:51:52

Is Stevia really a safe-to-use-daily sweetner? I have purchased a bottle, made peace with the taste of it, and am wondering if it has any possible downfalls. I find maple syrup as 'addictive' as sugar (plus expensive!) and have quit using that as a sweetner. I am down to a small bit of honey now and then and a good bit of Stevia.

• Report Abuse

Posted by Tatiana at 02/02/08 10:52:09

Stevia is a plant that happens to taste very sweet so it used in many places as a substitute for sugar. In the US it can only be sold as a supplement. It has become quite a hot topic as it hasn't been cleared by the FDA as GRAS (generally recognized as safe). It is very commonly used outside this country as a sweetener. However, in the US, since it isn't cleared as safe yet, I'd recommend if you are concerned to do some research to find what is comfortable for you.

• Report Abuse

Posted by JuliaCatherine at 02/25/08 09:34:23

Agave nectar is another good sugar sub. It does not effect blood sugar either. Splenda is still not the greatest either, its basically some chemically altered form of sugar. Maple syrup is a good sweetner because its natural. Although thats the real stuff not the commercial brands which are mainly corn syrup.

• Report Abuse

Posted by Tatiana at 02/25/08 12:11:58

Agave nectar is high in fructose (like fruit sugar) so it is lower on the glycemic index, but remember it is still \"sugar\" and contributes calories. (Good idea to see a dietitian and/or doctor if unsure, especially if diabetic.)

Good point on the maple syrup. Plus real maple syrup is way yummier!

You need to be logged in or registered to post.

Your browser is out-of-date!

Update your browser to view this website correctly. Update my browser now