Community: Forum: Health & Healing

Vegan Health & Nutrition Discussion Forum

I'm newly vegan and would like to see what vitamins are reccomended by actual people who actually take them. I know what vitamins my body needs, just wondering what brands are better than others or just simply what you all prefer. Thank you! :)

Responses (6)

• Report Abuse

Posted by Mountainmystic at 01/11/18 14:21:45

I take vitamins as a vegan. Every day, I take Balanced B 100 vitamin, B12 for energy veg source, Vitamin C--1000 mg for boosting my immune system to protect myself from colds and flu, and general need. I prefer Puritans Pride vitamins. They have been around for about 50 years and they have great prices always bogo or buy 2 get 3 free sometimes. I worked there and one of my first jobs several years ago mixing the ingredients, then worked as a tablet coater. Learned alot. When buying or ordering vitamins, just make sure you look at labels. The manufacturing process is super clean and highly regulated for product safety.

I don't take a multi-vitamin, since I eat grains, vegetables, greens, and fruit. I take a lot of herbal supplements for my body and immune system maintenance. Too much to get into that here. Start with the vitamins first. Happy to share info.

• Report Abuse

Posted by LauraMu at 01/15/18 11:34:27

Hi, I did a bit of research on the internet and most medical websites seemed to agree that vitamins B (in particular B12 for vegans) and D have the most benefit, along with zinc. So I take a vitamin B complex tablet, a vit D - calcium combined tablet and zinc tablet. I don't get ill much so so far so good...

• Report Abuse

Posted by Mountainmystic at 01/16/18 21:57:15

Thanks for the info. Laura Mu. Vitamin D and zinc, ah yes. Elderberry is good for colds and flu prevention. Zinc lozenges are good too.

• Report Abuse

Posted by MysteriousM at 02/12/18 03:37:19

Hi! A few helpful resources for you and other vegans to make sure you all stay healthy!:

And I found this one the most helpful because it has a number of sources/citations:

• Report Abuse

Posted by lysi at 02/18/18 09:21:43

Hi. In terms of brands, I tend to use Solgar vitamins. They are the only brand I'm aware of that uses 100% recyclable, non-leaching, non-porous, and odourless glass bottles. That might be a bit more expensive, but you can get money back when you return the bottle.

• Report Abuse

Posted by justkel at 03/03/18 22:40:14

Download Cronometer, if you haven’t already. I use it pretty much religiously haha.... You can track the nutrient content of your foods to make sure you’re getting everything. Vegans are typically only recommended Vitamin B12.. which you can take as a supplement, or you could try Nutritional Yeast which is a great source for your B-vitamins. There’s also conflict around the notion of whether or not Vegans get enough Vitamin A, because plant sources like carrots, sweet potatoes etc. are not converted into Retinol (true Vitamin A) - but there are a lot of skeptics that disagree with this. So its up to you to do your research. But to answer your question, the emphasis really remains with B12.

Keep HappyCow Growing Strong!

I would like to support