Community: Forum: Health & Healing

Vegan Health & Nutrition Discussion Forum

Author Avatar
So you've probably heard this question asked a billion times before. I'm sorry for asking it again, but this is a big concern among my friends and family.

I run cross country and track in college. 4-6 miles 6 days a week, strength training 3 days a week. I need my diet to be about 20-30% protein to stay healthy, maintain my current muscle, and build more muscle. I know this is totally achievable on a veg diet, but I'm a little stuck on the How? question.

What are some meatless sources of protein that I can eat every day to ensure that I'm getting enough?

Responses (5)

• Report Abuse

Posted by Adelcrow at 07/02/15 23:06:28

Ive been a gym junkie for over 30 years and use a combination of pea, rice and soy protein isolates mixed (shaken) in rice milk. It works as well if not better than the whey protein my gym mates use. You should be able to buy them online much cheaper than u can get in the shops. Im in Australia and use Bulk Nutrients...ps I buy them unflavoured and just throw some organic cacoa in.

• Report Abuse

Posted by ahimsa32fa at 07/03/15 04:38:58

K-
    Most Americans consume too much protein, but it's still a good question.

Google "vegan bodybuilders" and you will find lots of good info.

• Report Abuse

Posted by RJS at 07/03/15 05:52:31

Hiya, I try to make sure I enough protein by having one meal that's nut based,one meal that's pulse/bean based and a meal that's soya/TVP. And have a hemp protein powder for after workouts.

• Report Abuse

Posted by Yoshi at 07/04/15 03:18:30

I'm 38, so I'm probably close to twice your age. Been vegan for close to 5 years, and vegetarian for 8. I run easily 50-70 miles a week. I've never taken a protein supplement. Just eat quality food, and make sure you're eating enough. My protein intake is most likely on the low side, but I've seen no negative side effects. After my morning run I will eat a huge breakfast consisting of some type of hot cereal with banana, berries, walnuts and peanut butter. Other than that I just eat normally throughout the day, with no thought whatsoever about protein. There's tons of good info. out there. The book 'Thrive' by Brendan Brazier is real good. I'm not real familiar with it, but there's nomeatathlete.com, which also has a decent podcast that is worth listening to. Vegan Ultra runner Scott Jurek has a book called 'Eat and Run.' I've not read it, but I know he's currently attempting the world record for fastest running of the Appalachian Trail, so he probably knows more than you or I. You'll find a million things if you google vegan sports nutrition, or something similar. Good luck!

• Report Abuse

Posted by pincopallino at 08/19/15 01:55:11

Nobody needs 20-30% protein, that's far too much. See the WHO/FAO/UNU report about protein and amino acid requirements at apps.who.int/iris/handle/10665/43411

Keep HappyCow Growing Strong!

I would like to support