HappyCow is loading...

Community: Forum: Health & Healing

Vegan Health & Nutrition Discussion Forum

Hi,
I am vegan since April, and I'd like to know if it is better to see a doctor so I could speak about what I eat or should eat (because of vitamines, B12 and so on...). So I'd like your advice !!
Thanks a lot :)

Responses (6)

• Report Abuse

Posted by ahimsa32fa at 05/05/16 05:38:18

Doctors in America are required only a minimum of nutrition education. Most still believe that a diet built around flesh and stolen milk is required for good health.

A primary reason for this is that many medical schools are also agricultural schools, and thus beholden to the meat, dairy and agricultural chemicals industries.

On the other hand, more doctors are waking up to reality and joining organizations such as PCRM (Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine).

I have serious reservations about any health professional that tells me I must eat animal products.

• Report Abuse

Posted by anahidscv at 05/05/16 16:01:53

I agree with ahimsa. What I do is, every year, go for a physical and request to have blood work done to check b12,vitamin d, iron, and etc. Doctors both I and my husband met, seem to understand and agree it is healthier to be vegan and support our decisions. They do recommend regular checkups and blood work. I have been vegan for almost 5 years, still no problems, just a bit borderline with vitamin D and b12.

• Report Abuse

Posted by akanne at 05/05/16 17:55:26

I also agree. I don't recommend seeing a doctor to ask about what you should or should not eat as they do not know. My doctor is still recommending a low carb diet and he recommended me Protein shakes to keep my protein levels up. Do your own research. The only doctors I will recommend you are the following: Dr. Michael Greger, who has a webpage: https://www.drgreger.org/ also a youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/NutritionFactsOrg

Dr. Neil Barnard: www.pcrm.org/media/experts/neal-barnard

Dr. John Mcdougall: https://www.drmcdougall.com/
    youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/drmcdougallmd

Dr. Caldwell Esselstyn: www.dresselstyn.com/site/

and Dr. Colin Campbell: nutritionstudies.org/about/board/dr-t-colin-campbell/

A lot of these doctors have books, cook books and resource centers. Some of them even answer questions through e-mails but you don't really need that.

I've been a Vegan for 11 years. Not only I'm still alive but the only thing I've been a little deficient of is Vitamin D. I do supplement with Vitamin B12 but I have never reached the Deficiency level.

Take your time reading, watching videos. There's a HUGE Vegan community in youtube and they're all willing and eager to help.

Now, by no means I am saying do not go to the doctor. Please go to your regular physicals and do go whenever you feel sick or anything you routinely go for. All I'm saying is do not go with the purpose of asking him or her questions about Vegan nutritional needs because no regular doctor knows and they might even discourage you.

Lastly, I will strongly recommend you to think about your reasons for going Vegan. You will face many obstacles along the way but you will overcome them all if you remember YOUR reasons. Look for a support system through youtube and through forums, we're here to help each other because we are the ones who will understand and relate to your needs. Keep strong and congrats on your decision to go vegan :)

• Report Abuse

Posted by monaveggie at 05/06/16 06:17:21

OK, thank you all for your answer which are so true and which have helped me because doctor are often against the vegan diet so it would have been a huge mistake I guess.
    So thanks again :)
    (and sorry for the mistakes I am French)

• Report Abuse

Posted by Robinwomb at 05/15/16 04:15:01

Not all doctors are against a vegan diet. Most of my doctors are very encouraging of my veganism, and they have seen first hand how I have gotten all my needs met as a vegan over the years. I have periodic blood tests every few years to monitor B12, hemoglobin, D, and cholesterol/lipids/glucose/triglycerides. All of my lab results have been excellent in all of these categories. I am also active and exercise 1.5 hours per day as well as work full time. My family doctor is a little old school though and insists I need to combine certain plant foods at every meal to meet complete proteins but I will take that any day over being told I have to eat dairy or meat.

Also, my omnivore partner (who is 99% vegetarian now) had to go to Mayo Clinic due to several disorders that are hard to treat together, and even they encouraged him to cut his dairy consumption way down and eat a more plant based diet. He has rheumatoid arthritis, and dairy is known to be one of the worst foods one can consume for this condition. His cholesterol was also way too high (especially LDL) even though he was slightly underweight a few years ago. He cut way down on dairy and almost completely on meat, and his LDL went WAY down and his total cholesterol is now much much lower at 112. i think more doctors are slowly coming around to the benefits of plant based eating. I did some advocacy at my local medical complex and worked with the director of nutrition services there to get some vegan options in the cafeteria. They used recipes from the book "Vegan in Volume" put out by the Vegetarian Resource Group. I think we should do everything we can do to advocate for veganism in the medical establishment. Veganism is a movement of healing and compassion.

Also, research all you can on meeting your own needs as a vegan. Do not rely on doctors for this. I read the book "Becoming Vegan: The Complete Guide to Adopting a Healthy Plant-Based Diet: by Brenda Davis and Vesanto Melina. both are registered dieticians and nutrition researchers. The book is VERY comprehensive and goes into specifics about micro and macronutrients and how to get them as a vegan. It really put my mind at ease in the early days of my veganism. google vegan food pyramid as well for tips on how to incorporate all the foods you need in your diet.

• Report Abuse

Posted by vegan frog at 05/15/16 13:44:22

Si tu veux des conseils, autant aller voir un naturopathe, les docteurs ne connaissent rien a la nutrition et ne sont pas pre-vegan. Avec mon docteur (qui est géniale, mais différente) on regarder la B12, le fer, zinc, D, B, et tout plein de choses mais elle continue d'encourager mes efforts et elle sait que je refusées produits animaux donc elle travaille avec moi, pas contre moi. Je te souhaite bonne continuation!

You need to be logged in or registered to post.

Your browser is out-of-date!

Update your browser to view this website correctly. Update my browser now