Community: Forum: Health & Healing

Vegan Health & Nutrition Discussion Forum

Hi Everybody,

I have been lurking on the forum for a little while, and reading your posts with interest. As I am neither vegan nor vegetarian, I have very little to offer in the sense of advice. However I am concerned what foodstuffs I consume, and it is also very important form my 7 year old son as he has allergies to certain additives found in Supermarket food. We are lucky enough to live in Spain, where fresh produce can be found on the daily market in the town we live in.

As you probably all know one of the most important ingredients of the Mediterranean diet is olive oil, and that is what I was getting to. I work for a small family business, in which we produce our own extra virgin olive oil (and also related products, but more of that later in my story). We produce four varietals of olive oil, two of which are certified organic. And I was thinking that they might appeal to the members of this community.

The first one is Wild Organic from the first cold extraction. Don't let the word extraction fool you, we get the oil from the olives solely by mechanical means, and in this case by centrifuge after the olives have been crushed.

The second is our Wild Organic from the stone mill. Yes, this oil is indeed crushed on an authentic stone olive mill, and is pressed by a hydraulic press.

As mentioned before , we also produce other products i.e. soap, both cream soap and solid soap, which are made from only one fat source, Extra Virgin olive oil. We use a process called super-fatting, which means that the resulting soap contains olive oil that has not partaken in the saponification process. This ensures that all the lye is used, and that the soap contains very small amounts of olive oil to moisturize the skin.

I'm sure everyone on these forums knows the health benefits of good quality olive oil, but if you want to learn more, head over to our website, where in the section "Information of Interest" there is a wealth of educational material.

I am in a position to offer the members of this community a discount of 15% if you wish to purchase any of our products, and you can get the discount by using the code "happycow2015". I am not going to time limit the coupon code, so use it at your leisure, and by all means give it to anyone who is looking for good quality olive oil.

A distant cousin of our family who lives in California, takes care of shipping our products in the US and Canada, so delivery is usually somewhere between 2-5 days.

Anyway, I would like to thank you for taking the time to read this post, and if anyone has any questions, I would be more than happy to answer them.

Kindest regards,
David Johnston,
www.solivera.com

Responses (5)

• Report Abuse

Posted by anahidscv at 07/29/15 14:36:06

Hello David, What prompted you to browse the Happy Cow website? You mentioned about your child having allergies....did you know that many of the allergies are caused by eating animal products, especially dairy? Also did you list your website? I do not see it.

• Report Abuse

Posted by DavidSJohnston at 07/30/15 01:46:15

Basically Sean has ADHD, and although the medico's suggested medication, we decided that there could possibly be other routes to take. I did quite a bit of research into the matter, and I know now that part of Sean's issues are nutrition induced. There are a few 'E-numbers'that Sean responds badly to. for example E-120 and E-124. We have also found that supplementing his nutrition with micro-nutrients (basically spore elements, vitamins and minerals) help his concentration, and seems to keep his mood swings under control.

I agree with you that all manner of food can influence your well being in all kind of manner.

And the website was mentioned, just not in bold flashy lights (that is just not my style), but for those of you who missed it: www.solivera.com

Regards,
    Dave.

• Report Abuse

Posted by DeborahDuncan at 09/02/15 03:45:00

I love olive oil as It is one of the best natural products for your skin, hair and overall health. Here are some of the healthy benefits of olive oil that I would like to share with you.
    Olive oil contains a series of compounds that are very beneficial to most functions of the human body and its' biological and therapeutic value is related in many aspects to its chemical structure.
    The first aspect is its triglyceride composition, made up of fatty acids. Olive oil has a prevalence of monounsaturates, oleic acid principally, while animal fats are fundamentally made up of saturated fatty acids and seed oils of polyunsaturates.
    Monounsaturated fatty acids are much more stable. Olive oil also has a low percentage of polyunsaturates and this is important because these kind of fatty acids cannot be synthesized by the body.
    The second aspect is in its minor components. The most salient ones are the tocopherols and polyphenols. These components have a major antioxidant function and are closely connected with virgin olive oils because refining processes alter and remove them.
    Extra-virgin olive oil is the most digestible of the edible fats and:
    it helps to assimilate vitamins A, D and K;
    it contains essential acids that cannot be produced by our own
    bodies;
    it slows down the aging process;
    it helps bile, liver and intestinal functions.

The ancient Greeks were in the habit of consuming 1-2 spoonfuls of olive oil every morning. It was a matter of hygienic practice which helped deal with simple chronic constipation and with stomach ulcers. Now, in spite of the advancements in modern medicine and pharmacology, this practice is recommended for its positive influence on the digestion.
    It is noteworthy that olive oil has a beneficial effect in the dietary treatment of diabetes. In addition it helps control blood pressure and increases the bone mass. It is believed that olive oil has a favorable effect on the development of the central nervous and vascular systems, in brain development as well as normal child
    development.
    The human body easily absorbs olive oil. This means that the body absorbs the good ingredients such as vitamin E and phenols, which have anti-oxidizing properties and prevent the oxidization of fatty tissue. Another important element is chlorophyll. Olive oil facilitates the cleansing of the gull bladder. Olive oil is not only easy to digest but it also helps the digestion of other fatty substances because it helps the secretions of
    the peptic system and stimulates the pancreatic enzyme lipace.
    A major cause for the degeneration of the cells – and their eventual destruction – is the accumulation of free radicals, which are produced by the oxidization of the fatty tissues in the body. Vitamin E, phenols and other antioxidizing substances protect the human body from the negative effects of free radicals. Olive oil contains a high percentage of phenols and vitamin E and as a result helps delay the aging process. So you can say that olive oil is one of the most amazing super foods to boost immunity.
    Olive oil consumption has a very positive effect on blood cholesterol. Olive oil limits the oxidizing of bad cholesterol (cause of artillery skilorsus and heart disease) because it
    is rich in anti-oxidizing agents.

• Report Abuse

Posted by DavidSJohnston at 09/03/15 06:46:34

Wow Deborah, you certainly know your stuff!

There is one thing that you forgot to mention though, and that is that you will only find these benefits in cold pressed extra virgin olive oil. There are so many olive oils for sale that have been extracted from pulp (a waste product of pressing) using high temperatures and solvents. The resulting oils are colorless, odorless and tasteless. These products are then cut with small amounts of extra virgin, to provide color, odor and taste. Also additives like chlorophyll are used to obtain color, and other man made compounds are used for aroma and taste. These oils are typically high in PAH's (Polycyclic Aromatic Carbohydrates), which are a by-product of heating the oil during refining. Even the denomination virgin or extra virgin can be manipulated by regulating the levels of oleic acid in the oil, so an olive oil which sports a label claiming "100% extra virgin olive oil" could be a totally bogus product.

Needless to say artisinal producers only use cold pressing or cold extraction methods (we keep the temperature of the oil below 27C at all times), and we extract only by mechanical means (press or centrifuge).

The only way to obtain a good quality olive oil is to get to know your producer, and that is why we at Can Solivera try to engage our customer and answer any and all questions.

for more information: www.solivera.com/information-of-interest

regards,
    dave.

• Report Abuse

Posted by AliceJones at 10/26/15 00:55:06

Great post. Thanks for sharing this with all of us.

Keep HappyCow Growing Strong!

I would like to support