Community: Forum: Health & Healing

Vegan Health & Nutrition Discussion Forum

Is this normal?! We (our family) have basically gone from a normal (typical) standard Australian diet, to vegan based diet very quickly after weighing up a lot of different things. Mainly wanting to be healthy and concerned for the impact our current lifestyle is having on the earth. We are only on day 3 and I am experiencing terrible headaches (very unusual for me) and tired, lethargic etc. Is this normal? How quickly will it pass. What can we do to alleviate these symptoms? I am a full time mum of our 8 children, and husband is police, so he needs to be alert and full of energy. We are eating all food made from scratch (no processed foods) and mostly fresh fruit and veggies. We have basically just dropped meat, milk and butter.

Responses (2)

• Report Abuse

Posted by AnnaWacker at 01/17/18 03:38:52

Hi Ruth Tinley,
    congratulations on your new lifestyle!
    I believe what you are experiencing is "normal". When beginning a new diet and vegan lifestyle after eating a "SAD" (standard american diet), you will often experience different symptoms of detoxification of your body. Try and welcome this - and know that it will pass (especially when you eat clean, non processed foods). Detox, although it can be hard and painful, is a sign that your body needs to clean up and that changing to a plant based diet is helping you. Don't be hard on yourself - you just started! Drink plenty of water, maybe juice and eat plenty of fruits (preferably organic). There are plenty of detox supplements and herbs, like spirulina and chlorella, but this might be something in the future for you guys.
    I think that this investment that you and your family are doing, will be so rewarding! Good luck. :-)
    Best wishes, Anna

• Report Abuse

Posted by Mountainmystic at 01/17/18 18:42:54

Ruth

Natural herb for headaches, especially migraines, is Feverfew. Adding to what Anna said, drink plenty of water. B12 at 1000 mg every day will help with energy levels. Juicing will give you faster nutrient uptake into your body and your digestive system does not have to work so hard. Greens and kale. Many people thrive on energy boost from that. Just suggestions. See what works for you and your family, and build on it. It's a process of adjustment. HappyCow has a lot of resources.

Keep HappyCow Growing Strong!

I would like to support