HappyCow is loading...

Community: Forum: Health & Healing

Vegan Health & Nutrition Discussion Forum

Right after I became vegan, I got sick. I don't think its relevant, but my family does, and I would like to prove them wrong, any subjections?

Responses (12)

• Report Abuse

Posted by bossman at 10/17/13 10:44:37

Details needed - pukey, sneezy, the trots, what happened to you? People get sick all the time. If lighting struck the mailbox right after you went vegan would your family think that was relevant?

• Report Abuse

Posted by savetheanimals at 10/17/13 11:30:52

basically what bossman said. We need more information on what type of sickness you have. I can tell you being sick doesn't have anything to do with being vegan. There are natural cures for different sicknesses but, it is different with each one. When I think sickness I think common cold so, I will give you a link to natural cures for the common cold: http://www.veggieboards.com/t/74776/vegan-remedies-for-a-cold
    If we get you better faster with the natural cures maybe we can prove to your family that not only is the sickness not related to being vegan but, it helped you get better faster. Some family members will try to put everything negative on you being vegan. If you find that to be the trend with some family members just cut ties with those family members. Your relationship with them will only get worse and it will damage other relationships in your life if you don't.

• Report Abuse

Posted by happycowgirl at 10/17/13 11:31:55

I'm with Bossman on this. The vegan diet is the healthiest diet on the planet. Your catching a cold or whatever at around the same time you went vegan is just a goofy coincidence.

Actually, it's funny you posted this, because I was about to post about how I have never been sick since going vegan. I was vegetarian for 25 years then went vegan. My only regret is that I did not go vegan much, much sooner. I was very healthy as a vegetarian, but I'm telling you, after going vegan, it was like a light switch went on. I've never before experienced such a feeling of absolute health.

As a vegetarian I would still get colds like a regular person. You know, get a cold in the winter time, maybe catch the flu if it's going around and be sick for a few days. But Catrina, I've been vegan for 2 years now and I have not had so much as a sniffle the entire time. It's like I have an immune system of steel. I almost feel like daring people to sneeze on me. I just don't get sick anymore.

Long story short, congrats on going vegan! Stick with it despite any nay-sayers and you will give yourself the gift of lifelong health.

Thanks for caring so much about animals and being so awesome! You rock!

• Report Abuse

Posted by Catrina-AnimalLover at 10/30/13 00:48:13

It was just the common cold, some sneezing, coughing, and a runny nose. And I cant really cut ties with those family members because there my parents and I live with them, but I hear what your saying. And know matter what would happen I would never go back, just for the sake of the animals.

Thanks for the advice!

• Report Abuse

Posted by carlbj01 at 10/31/13 17:13:49

Like others have said - there are so many factors involved here, but I can assure you becoming vegan did not make you sick IF you ate the right amount of fruits, vegetables and proteins and just kept up a healthy lifestyle. I understand the family part. I have learned talking about becoming a vegan with friends or family as almost the same as bringing up religion or politics - just do what's right for you. People normally start understanding when its all too late. Unfortunately.

Cheers,
    Carl

• Report Abuse

Posted by aiyanct at 11/11/13 04:27:42

Hi catrina, this is aiyanct newbie. I can feel your problem, You following vegan right now so there is a way to cure whatever problem u have using vegan itself. I mean to say where there is a will there is a way. So there is lot of remedy in vegan. For example, you now suffering from cold and sneeze for that use pepper, ginger garlic, lemon basil leaf or large gooseberry.

• Report Abuse

Posted by GigiKirk at 03/03/14 06:23:10

It may be they your body was detoxing. I too recently switch from process vegetarian to vegan dropping all dairy and my body went nuts to others it would appear that I had the flu or flu like symptoms it was just my body clearing out the junk and trying to heal itself. NO Worries just take it slow and easy into being vegetarian. It's safer and you will feel better.

• Report Abuse

Posted by AllyG at 03/03/14 21:39:08

My body detoxed. My nose flowed! But within a week all was good.
    If you switch to more plant based food compared to what you ate before your digestive system may go into overdrive and you might go to the toilet more than before.
    I'm a teacher, I have sick, coughing kids all the time. I had half a cold last winter.
    My husband used to be sick all the time, he's great now too.
    I agree with everyone else that it may be a coincidence.

• Report Abuse

Posted by bigfootmarty at 06/08/14 19:36:37

I overloaded with lots of fruit and veggies and fiber- they all helped flush me clean- limit discomfort

• Report Abuse

Posted by GarrettHnatiuk at 06/10/14 21:52:27

I think maybe it's because you’re not getting sufficient protein, which you would usually get from meat. Also your diet changes very quickly and your body is not used to the sudden change. Nuts and beans have a large amount of protein in them.

• Report Abuse

Posted by AndyT at 06/11/14 01:37:37

Garret, please consider that normally, when you get a cold, doctors will NOT prescribe you a big steak, to get more protein. Rather vitamin C, which is commonly found in fruits and vegetables.

Most people who follow a vegan or vegetarian diet do get enough protein. You can find out more here: http://www.vrg.org/nutrition/protein.php

Best regards,
    Andy

• Report Abuse

Posted by DunkiesandDimeys at 06/18/14 12:03:14

Catching the common cold has nothing to do with diet changes, especially if you just went vegan. If you had been vegan for a while and didn't watch your diet too much, however, then your immunity could have been lowered.
    When you become vegan, however, it's obvious that you will be consuming a lot more plant foods, which of course means you will be getting a lot more Vitamin C and other great nutrients for your immunity. Going vegan should actually help you prevent colds instead of causing them.
    You likely encountered a virus called the rhinovirus, which would have caused the cold whether you were vegan or not. It was just a coincidence that you went vegan as soon as you encountered the virus.
    I hope everything works out for you. Perhaps it'd be great if you could print your parents out some health information to help them understand the benefits of becoming vegan. You can also use this to show them that you can easily get all of the nutrients you need through a vegan diet, including ones many meat-eaters lack.

Good luck,
    Angela

www.cafepress.com/dunkiesanddimeys

You need to be logged in or registered to post.

Your browser is out-of-date!

Update your browser to view this website correctly. Update my browser now