Community: Forum: Health & Healing

Vegan Health & Nutrition Discussion Forum

Hi, friends. I’m an active, (mostly) vegan 22 year old with a well balanced diet. Sometimes my job requires me to be active and on my feet all day, leaving me with aching knees the following day! It’s not to concerning level, just annoying and leaves me wanting to take ibuprofen. I’ve looked all over the Internet, but most Foods that are anti-inflammatory I already eat- like turmeric. Do I maybe need to eat more tumeric? Or are there some other foods/spices/supplements anyone knows of that help? I’d love to solve this naturally. Thank you :)

Responses (3)

• Report Abuse

Posted by matijars at 04/16/18 11:16:23

Inflammation is caused by free radicals who oxidize healthy cells. Imagine free radicals like wild teenagers who are missing one electron and they go around the body stilling it from pairs of healthy cells who then also become free radicals. It's a chain effect, a domino effect.

What combats free radicals are antioxidants. All fruits and vegetables are rich in antioxidants, but some, such as berries, citrus fruits, and green leafy vegetables, are super rich.

More foods that are anti-inflammatory are the ones that contain high amounts of Omega 3 fatty acids and a good ratio of Omega 3 to Omega 6 fatty acids. These foods are flaxseeds, walnuts, and green leafy vegetables like swiss chard, brocolli, kale, and so on.

• Report Abuse

Posted by Mountainmystic at 04/17/18 12:58:26

Good info., matijars. I like the analogy explaining free radicals. The antioxidant rich foods you mentioned are the things I eat. I also eat a tbsp. of dried goji berries every day, which are rich in antioxidants. Thanks for the info.

• Report Abuse

Posted by ManuelaGuarneri at 04/18/18 04:10:19

Do you have whole cereals?
    berries and all the other food mentioned by matijars are great.
    Other things you can do: drink white tea and hibiscus tea.
    Oh, yeah try amla berry powder (organic, because otherwise could be contaminated with heavy metals) is just the most powerful antioxydant food.

Keep HappyCow Growing Strong!

I would like to support