Community: Forum: Connect With Other Members

Introduce Yourself - Connect with New Friends

Hi I'm new here I have been really considering switching to the vegan lifestyle. I'm not sure where to even start with is or if it's even realistic for me. I would love to hear others stories and how you transitioned over! Thanks for the help

Responses (3)

• Report Abuse

Posted by SandraVentura at 05/30/17 23:22:43

Hello Jennifer.
    That's a great new that you are thinking about going vegan. You should read about vegan lifestyle and try some recipes to start with. Then do few days a week fully vegan and see how you go..
    For my story, I became vegan three years ago and I don't miss anything that a meat eater eats. I turned Vegan overnight after watching conspiracy and earthling the same night.. I was sure of my choice. I cared about animals a lot and I couldn't cuddle a dog and eat a cow anymore... For the healthy part, I could feel better after 10days. My digestion was better and my sleep as well. I was less tired after meals.

If you have any questions, feel free to write me. I would be really happy to help you to start you vegan journey.

• Report Abuse

Posted by Melanie_Frieda at 05/31/17 06:46:23

Oh, I would like to watch this forum. I'm in the same situation as you!

• Report Abuse

Posted by lmcc at 06/02/17 06:24:25

Hi Jennifer and Melanie,

It's really exciting that you're considering transitioning to vegan! I have been vegan for just over a year now, and it was really one of the best things I've ever done for myself. Initially I came to this lifestyle because I was really fed up with the state of my health - mental and physical. I've never been super jazzed about eating animals, so I thought initially that I would become vegetarian. I found information online about veganism, and how easy and simple it can be to find a healthy balance just by changing my diet. I watched lots of online videos on YouTube, and the typical documentaries people watch (I will list them below). Over the course of a few days, I transitioned to vegetarian, and then to vegan, and I haven't looked back since. I feel so much better in terms of my health, and I no longer have any guilt when I eat - I know I am doing right by my body, animals, and the planet. I've learned to cook, I've tried new foods that I've never liked before, and I've connected with myself. I hope both of you, and anybody else who reads this and is thinking about transitioning to a vegan lifestyle, can find the same joy and happiness I've found.

Here are some of my tips: Try to find a few recipes that are simple enough that you can make easily, but tasty enough that you'd want to eat them frequently. I like to make enough at dinner so that I can take leftovers for lunch. It can take time to adjust your palate to different foods, but give it a try for a few weeks, and I think you'll find it's easier than expected.

As well, there are as many ways to eat vegan as their are to eat other diets. I've found there are a lot of really delicious substitutes for meats, cheeses, dairy, etc. that really helped me to transition away from eating those products. They are also becoming more and more available with increasing consumer demand. As for eating out, I think generally you can find at least one option at most places (if there isn't one listed on the menu, you can ask your server), and you can always use HappyCow to find for sure options.

I think the biggest factor in changing your diet, or any major lifestyle change, is the motivation. Consider why you are doing this, what things will keep you vegan, what challenges you might face. Education is a big part. There are some great documentaries on Netflix and on YouTube that you can watch: Cowspiracy, Forks Over Knives, Earthlings, The Best Speech You Will Ever Hear. I'd recommend giving those a watch. Come back to your motivations any time you are challenged by this new change, and you might find it's easier than you think!

There is also lots of support online if you don't have any vegan in-person friends (I don't). Look no further than YouTube, reddit, and here for support, or questions.

Keep HappyCow Growing Strong!

I would like to support