Community: Forum: Connect With Other Members

Introduce Yourself - Connect with New Friends

Author Avatar
Maybe other people go through similar things, ok they probably do. But it's something that makes me really angry. My work is dedicated to making sure there is no discrimination based on age/race/gender/sexual orientation/culture...which is great! but there seems to be no restriction on goading and questioning non-meat eaters. This is also discrimination. If you experience anything like this then please comment.

Responses (4)

• Report Abuse

Posted by WallysButton at 09/24/13 10:01:03

Are you talking about discrimination at work or elsewhere?
    Personally, I happen to be very lucky in terms of where I work. I work in the HR department for a huge Natural Foods cooperative and there are many vegans that either work here or shop in our stores...
    That being said, the place where I feel the discrimination is in my personal life. Most of my family just doesn't understand. My husband isvery supportive. He's not a vegan, but he totally supports me and we've actually gotten really good at cooking meals at home that are easily converted for both of us. But some of my family is downright offended that I don't want to eat things that come from an animal.
    I have one brother who adamantly says he's an atheist, yet he'll quote the bible to me to try to convince me that being vegan is "against god's plan..."
    My mother-in-law constantly refers to the food I eat as "fake food!" I'm sorry, but I'm not the one eating stuff full of artificial flavors and things you can't pronounce!
    Anyway, sorry for the rant. I definitely see what you're saying about discrimination, but how do you correct it when it's your family and friends doing it?

• Report Abuse

Posted by Veganwithavengance at 10/01/13 20:38:04

Speciesism is a bigger concern. Yes we will get stupid comments from ignorant people, that will always happen but what happens against the animals is about a billion times worse.

Yeah that stuff gets annoying but you learn how to respond to it or ignore it. Don't let it affect you unless they are causing you physical harm then always stand up for yourself and don't allow it to keep happening. Though keep focused on the animals and their plight.

Generally people use their jokes or verbal attacks on us as their way of coping with something they cannot understand. It is their defense mechanism to something they feel is attacking them because maybe it makes them look bad for not caring.

• Report Abuse

Posted by MountainVegan at 05/07/17 16:36:30

Bump*

- Forget ignoring it - educate yourself and arm yourself with knowledge!! When some misinformed idiot spouts off about veganism - or your veganism - hit them with facts. I simply do not stand for people defending logical fallacy. It's easy to stop people in their tracks by pointing out that they are ignorant and misinformed. We don't need to treat bigots with kid gloves - take them to the mattress.
    - The facts are - that a vegan diet - even done the same way as a mainstream consumer, i.e. - buying all package and store bought foods from National chains and big restaurants - still completely lowers your footprint and increases your health.
    A vegan diet uses less water - less land. Creates less waste. Transfers and supports less harmful pathogens, bacterias and disease. Is less taxing on the body. Is more readily available and produceable for a larger portion of society at a smaller cost. Saves animals lives. Pollutes the earth less. Needs less processing. Gives easier access to truly Fresh items. Allows a more diverse diet. Ands of course -reduces the risk of dozens of common diseases and sickness.
    Then there are the spiritual and moral and social benefits.
    - A vegan diet makes you a more compassionate being - by your act of eating alone. That is nothing to be ashamed of.

• Report Abuse

Posted by herwin at 05/10/17 13:16:42

no we vegans are not being discriminated, we are not victimes and should play victims. If you talk about discrimination just bc somebody asks you some questions instead of patting your back, plz ask a person of color or a gay person what REAL discrimination is.
    The ones who discriminate are mostly we vegans, just look at the shocking insulting comments wr make about fellow people, just bc they show an interest in us with questions, we, i mean you and you, call these people stupid and idiots.
    To think that you are better and superior than other people, THAT is real discrimination.
    If non veg people ask questions or anything, see it as an oportunity.
    Education is everything, by that i mean educating oneself. Forget about blablabla how noble your veganism is and so be the equivalent of an annoying bible thumping arrogant Jehova Witnes or other selfrighteous Bringer of Good News.
    Instead try to understand people and listen what they REALLY say, behind their silly qurstions lies their uncertainty.

Keep HappyCow Growing Strong!

I would like to support