Community: Forum: Animal Rights & Animal Welfare

Animal Rights Forum

Peta lawsuit claims Whole Foods is duping shoppers with 'humane meat'

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/sep/22/peta-lawsuit-whole-foods-humane-meat-duping-shoppers

Responses (4)

• Report Abuse

Posted by ahimsa32fa at 09/23/15 04:56:05

I shopped at Whole Foods once. I've not been a fan of theirs since they appeared some thirty years ago.

Buy local, organic or grow your own when possible...

• Report Abuse

Posted by happycowgirl at 09/23/15 08:16:28

Thank you so much for bringing this to our attention, Stevie.

Wow. My initial thoughts are that Whole Foods better be very, very careful how they handle this. There are an enormous amount of vegans and vegetarians who shop at Whole Foods. And I'd venture to say many PeTA members and supporters shop at Whole Foods. We're a huge part of their loyal customer base. We don't purchase the allegedly "humane meat" but if Whole Foods starts bad mouthing PeTA, you better bet I'll be shopping elsewhere.

PeTA workers and volunteers risk an enormous amount to investigate animal cruelty, often putting their physical safety and certainly their emotional well being aside (b/c it usually involves witnessing horrific suffering first hand) to do what's best for the animals. For Whole Foods to say that certain scenes in the footage were manipulated by the PeTA advocate is just insulting.

I'll be watching this lawsuit closely.

• Report Abuse

Posted by anahidscv at 09/23/15 11:49:48

This is serious and important. Many years ago, before become vegan, I used to pay $12.00 for one chicken, so it was important to me. Now that I am vegan, I do shop at whole foods, that is where I find my vegan products and good produce. Whole foods should stop selling meat, period! Most people now want to eat healthy and that is the reason they go to whole foods, so it will still do well without the meat. There is never any guarantees the right treatment of animals, as long as we continue slaughtering them and using them for consumption, the sad and ugly truth. I wish and hope for the day that comes when all slaughterhouses are shut down.

• Report Abuse

Posted by ahimsa32fa at 09/24/15 05:01:08

A search under "Problems with Whole Foods Market" reveals some interesting things.

michaelbluejay.com/misc/wholefoods.html

They are actively anti-union and have been caught fudging the truth on GMO foods, organic foods, etc.

Keep HappyCow Growing Strong!

I would like to support