Yuan Vegetarien

Contact 514-848-0513

2115 St-Denis, Montreal, Quebec, Canada, H2X 3K8

Vegetarian Chinese restaurant, moved here in 2010 from Sherbrook East. The extensive menu features a variety of mockmeats in addition to noodle, rice, vegetarian sushi, dinner specials, bubble tea. Complimentary tea served with meal. Has a lunch and dinner buffet. Take Sherbrooke Metro station or Berri-UQAM then 15-minute walk. Open Tue-Fri 11:00am-3:00pm, Tue-Fri 5:00pm-10:00pm, Sat-Sun 12:00pm-10:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Chinese, Buffet, Asian

First Review by molly

All you can eat! - Edit

Nice place, they have a mostly vegan menu. "Mostly" because some of their choices contain whey protein (it is written on the menu). Vegan desserts would be awesome.

Pros: Good food, Friendly staff

Cons: Whey protein in some options

Asian vegan buffet - Edit

This place is great! They have awesome buffet items, great atmosphere and staffs who are always smiling. The ravioli with peanut sauce & beef with broccoli is a must!

Pros: Great food for cheap price, Nice and friendly staff, Close to the metro

Best to go with a group of people - Edit

I've always had a good experience here, but I've always gone with a few people 5-6, so I'm not sure how it is alone or as a couple. Sometimes the wait can be lengthy in between orders, so I advise ordering a lot(the portion of each item is not so big). They also have a lot of their mock-fish in that you can buy from the take-away freezer section as well.

Pros: All you can eat, awesome mock fish

Cons: small portions, Can be a long wait in between orders

Lots of options! - Edit

For the buffet, you're given a piece of paper with all of the options, and you tick off which items you'd like. the portions are quite small, which makes it easy to try out many different dishes. The food is really good, and there's bound to be something for everyone. However, once I ordered a brownie (wanted to try a dessert before I got too full), the waitress stopped bringing back the paper menu, and didn't come near our table after that. So, they essentially cut us off before we were done. It was a bit of an awkward situation, as we didn't feel like it was truly "all you can eat".

Pros: Tons of options, good food

Cons: poor service

All you can eat for 20$! - Edit

The food is good, the portions are small so you get to try a lot of different dishes. The dumplings with peanut sauce are very good, but everything is VERY sweet, I like the sweet-salty but everything tastes like dessert, I think they actually sprinkle sugar on the sushis... We got out of there with a full stomach and a light MSG buzz, but would recommend.

Pros: Inexpensive, Nice sushi selection

Cons: Savoury dishes WAY too sweet, Decor is a bit tacky and cold, MSG

22$ for What they feel you should eat - Edit

This is the second time my vegan husband and I visited Yuan during a long weekend stay in Montreal. We weren't thrilled last year but thought we'd give them another try. You get a paper "buffet" menu and you check off the items you would like. It now costs $22 per person on weekends. We were familiar with the dishes so checked off what we wanted - sometimes indicating 2 dishes (if we particularly enjoyed) as the portions are tiny. The service was terrible - they brought one tiny dish at a time, which took us a minute to eat. There were LONG waits between dishes, and always one or maybe two came at a time. If we had indicated 2 of a particular dish, we got one. It seems they were trying to control how much we got- hoping we'd get full faster? We are normal people who eat normal amounts of food, not sumo wrestlers! The table beside us, who the owner came out to greet, arrived 10 minutes after us and had a variety of (I counted) 14 large hot dishes on their table within 15 minutes while we sat waiting for 5 minutes between each dish. To add insult, they tried to bring bill halfway through, and when they finally brought a dessert brownie it was literally one inch cubed. Rude service - with a smile. Food is okay but definitely not worth tolerating slow, rude, 2 tiered service. We will never go back.

Pros: Food decent, General Tao chicken & eggplant, Enjoyed chinese broccoli, singapore noodles

Cons: Not really all you can eat - what they will give, Two tiered, slow, rude service, Tiny portions

DELICIOUS! - Edit

If you miss good old asian, greasy food, you will fall in love with this restaurant. Their all-you-can-eat buffet is definitely worth it with their small portions. You get to try everything! Perfect for big parties or even a date. You will find something to your tastes for sure!

Pros: Mostly vegan, clearly identified when it's not!

Not as good as reviews say - Edit

Something might have changed with this place as my experience was different from the ones described in earlier reviews. I arrived around 9 pm on a weekday and there was no buffet. I was seated at a table that had some food remains from previous person. I had to wait for another table to order to get their menu. It was old and dirty. I got the food fast, it was supposed to be fake-chicken but it seemed simple soy cubes, it didn't really taste good. Parts of the plate were cold. I don't plan to return.

Amazingly good - Edit

I love this place!!! Very beautiful and excellent food and smiley waitresses and fast service.

Love the samosas and vegetable tempura....and everything else :-)

Pros: Fresh and excellent food, fast service, very nice restaurant

Cons: It's a bit cold

My favorite restaurant - Edit

Yuan is definitely my favorite restaurant. Most dishes are vegan. I just try the all you can eat option, but many times. I invite all my friends there, veggie or not, and they love it. There is a wide variety of false meat. It is a Taiwanese family who run this restaurant and they are very friendly.. The service is fast and I always eat for my money. Frankly it's cheap, $ 17.99 for the week all you can ea optiont, you order as and to avoid waste. 20.99 the weekend I think. I probably esssayer all on the menu. You will discover new flavors. Attention is closed on Mondays. I discovered the restaurant during my studies at Cégep du Vieux Montreal close to the popular St-Denis for its restaurants. No need to look elsewhere, the Yuan is the best restaurant in the square!

Pros: excellent food, good value

Cons: close on Monday, a little cold during winter

Asian food !!! - Edit

Un avis mitigé sur cet endroit, il y’a un buffet à volonté mais servi au fur et à mesure sur la base d’une feuille sur laquelle on coche ses choix. Comme on ne connait pas vraiment les portions, on y va doucement et cela rallonge considérablement le temps de dégustation et le travail de la serveuse, qui était seule en salle et vraiment débordée ce jour-là. Il y’a du choix heureusement, mais pour un buffet à volonté, j’ai trouvé qu’on avait vite fait le tour du menu en un seul repas. Peut-être qu’ils changent le buffet régulièrement, j’espère…
En attendant, les plats étaient tous très bons et la serveuse malgré tout était très agréable. Au moins ils ont le mérite d’être le seul restaurant asiatique à proposer des plats végétariens typiques. Ce seul point en fait un restaurant des plus intéressants quand on en a assez des menus de sandwichs/salades/soupes…

I consider this place as one of the most interesting vegetarian places in Montreal… Just because it does not get you a “Soup/sandwiches/salad” menu ! Indeed you can have an all-you-can-eat buffet for lunch with various typical Asian dishes. We choose at least 4 or 6 dishes each and they were all very good. Not exceptionally tasty though, but we really enjoyed our time here and it is quite affordable for everyone. The waitress was really busy and it took quite a bit of time for her to serve us until the end, but she was very polite and smiling. The buffet is not huge and you can probably eat all that is on it in two meals. So maybe not a buffet to go to every week.

A great all you can eat veggie place! - Edit

It was my first vegetarian restaurant in Montreal and it was a good one! The all you can eat principle is really great. I took this formula on evening and it was a good choice. Food is really good, there is a lot of dishes from different parts of Asia and vegan items are clearly indicated. The place is pleasant, there is room and the staff is friendly.

Strongly recommended if you're hungry!

Pros: good food, numerous vegan options, all you can eat, varied asian food, pleasant place

Great for vegans - Edit

I had the set meal which included miso soup, a bento box style main, and a green tea for afters.

In the bento box there were dumplings, a seaweed salad, broccoli, brown rice, fresh edamame and a sautéed tofu dish with sweet basil.

It was a very satisfying meal in a spacious, calm environment with friendly, helpful staff. The music was low key and quiet.

Perhaps a bit on the pricey side, but the meal was very good.

Pros: Excellent food, Good atmosphere

Cons: A little expensive

Loved the steamed buns - Edit

Went there with my husband and baby and had a great time (they have highchairs). Ordering off the all you can eat list works great because the food is delivered hot, fresh, and in small enough portions that even a couple can try a lot of items. We did four rounds of ordering small amounts to prevent wasting (and having to pay for) food. I recommend the Chinese broccoli, the steam buns, and the wonton soup. It was all pretty tasty but be careful not to order too many of the mock meat dishes.

Pros: Tables nicely spaced apart, Tasty food, Nice decor

All you can eat! - Edit

I highly recommend the all you can eat deal, where you can really eat A LOT!

All items that are not vegan are clearly indicated.

Perfect for large groups and for sharing.

Lots of fried food and mock meats.

I recommend the vegan fish with lemon sauce, the vegan sea food fried with salt and pepper, the chinese broccoli and the tempura. And the curries.

Cons: toilet could be better

Love this place - Edit

I have been vegetarian for over 20 years. I and my husband always go to Yuan for supper. We love the buffet menu very much. The owner is very nice. We just love everything here :)

Pros: Tasty food, Friendly stuffs

Cons: Parking spot

Return to Montreal Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Yuan Vegetarien closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.