Yuan Vegetarien

Contact 514-848-0513

2115 St-Denis, Montreal, Quebec, Canada, H2X 3K8

Vegetarian Chinese restaurant, moved here in 2010 from Sherbrook East. The extensive menu features a variety of mockmeats in addition to noodle, rice, vegetarian sushi, dinner specials, bubble tea. Complimentary tea served with meal. Has a lunch and dinner buffet. Take Sherbrooke Metro station or Berri-UQAM then 15-minute walk. Tue-Fri 11:00am-3:00pm, Tue-Fri 5:00pm-10:00pm, Sat-Sun 12:00pm-10:00pm

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Chinese, Buffet, Asian

First Review by molly

Best to go with a group of people - Edit

I've always had a good experience here, but I've always gone with a few people 5-6, so I'm not sure how it is alone or as a couple. Sometimes the wait can be lengthy in between orders, so I advise ordering a lot(the portion of each item is not so big). They also have a lot of their mock-fish in that you can buy from the take-away freezer section as well.

Pros: All you can eat, awesome mock fish

Cons: small portions, Can be a long wait in between orders

Lots of options! - Edit

For the buffet, you're given a piece of paper with all of the options, and you tick off which items you'd like. the portions are quite small, which makes it easy to try out many different dishes. The food is really good, and there's bound to be something for everyone. However, once I ordered a brownie (wanted to try a dessert before I got too full), the waitress stopped bringing back the paper menu, and didn't come near our table after that. So, they essentially cut us off before we were done. It was a bit of an awkward situation, as we didn't feel like it was truly "all you can eat".

Pros: Tons of options, good food

Cons: poor service

All you can eat for 20$! - Edit

The food is good, the portions are small so you get to try a lot of different dishes. The dumplings with peanut sauce are very good, but everything is VERY sweet, I like the sweet-salty but everything tastes like dessert, I think they actually sprinkle sugar on the sushis... We got out of there with a full stomach and a light MSG buzz, but would recommend.

Pros: Inexpensive, Nice sushi selection

Cons: Savoury dishes WAY too sweet, Decor is a bit tacky and cold, MSG

22$ for What they feel you should eat - Edit

This is the second time my vegan husband and I visited Yuan during a long weekend stay in Montreal. We weren't thrilled last year but thought we'd give them another try. You get a paper "buffet" menu and you check off the items you would like. It now costs $22 per person on weekends. We were familiar with the dishes so checked off what we wanted - sometimes indicating 2 dishes (if we particularly enjoyed) as the portions are tiny. The service was terrible - they brought one tiny dish at a time, which took us a minute to eat. There were LONG waits between dishes, and always one or maybe two came at a time. If we had indicated 2 of a particular dish, we got one. It seems they were trying to control how much we got- hoping we'd get full faster? We are normal people who eat normal amounts of food, not sumo wrestlers! The table beside us, who the owner came out to greet, arrived 10 minutes after us and had a variety of (I counted) 14 large hot dishes on their table within 15 minutes while we sat waiting for 5 minutes between each dish. To add insult, they tried to bring bill halfway through, and when they finally brought a dessert brownie it was literally one inch cubed. Rude service - with a smile. Food is okay but definitely not worth tolerating slow, rude, 2 tiered service. We will never go back.

Pros: Food decent, General Tao chicken & eggplant, Enjoyed chinese broccoli, singapore noodles

Cons: Not really all you can eat - what they will give, Two tiered, slow, rude service, Tiny portions

DELICIOUS! - Edit

If you miss good old asian, greasy food, you will fall in love with this restaurant. Their all-you-can-eat buffet is definitely worth it with their small portions. You get to try everything! Perfect for big parties or even a date. You will find something to your tastes for sure!

Pros: Mostly vegan, clearly identified when it's not!

Not as good as reviews say - Edit

Something might have changed with this place as my experience was different from the ones described in earlier reviews. I arrived around 9 pm on a weekday and there was no buffet. I was seated at a table that had some food remains from previous person. I had to wait for another table to order to get their menu. It was old and dirty. I got the food fast, it was supposed to be fake-chicken but it seemed simple soy cubes, it didn't really taste good. Parts of the plate were cold. I don't plan to return.

Amazingly good - Edit

I love this place!!! Very beautiful and excellent food and smiley waitresses and fast service.

Love the samosas and vegetable tempura....and everything else :-)

Pros: Fresh and excellent food, fast service, very nice restaurant

Cons: It's a bit cold

My favorite restaurant - Edit

Yuan is definitely my favorite restaurant. Most dishes are vegan. I just try the all you can eat option, but many times. I invite all my friends there, veggie or not, and they love it. There is a wide variety of false meat. It is a Taiwanese family who run this restaurant and they are very friendly.. The service is fast and I always eat for my money. Frankly it's cheap, $ 17.99 for the week all you can ea optiont, you order as and to avoid waste. 20.99 the weekend I think. I probably esssayer all on the menu. You will discover new flavors. Attention is closed on Mondays. I discovered the restaurant during my studies at Cégep du Vieux Montreal close to the popular St-Denis for its restaurants. No need to look elsewhere, the Yuan is the best restaurant in the square!

Pros: excellent food, good value

Cons: close on Monday, a little cold during winter

Asian food !!! - Edit

Un avis mitigé sur cet endroit, il y’a un buffet à volonté mais servi au fur et à mesure sur la base d’une feuille sur laquelle on coche ses choix. Comme on ne connait pas vraiment les portions, on y va doucement et cela rallonge considérablement le temps de dégustation et le travail de la serveuse, qui était seule en salle et vraiment débordée ce jour-là. Il y’a du choix heureusement, mais pour un buffet à volonté, j’ai trouvé qu’on avait vite fait le tour du menu en un seul repas. Peut-être qu’ils changent le buffet régulièrement, j’espère…
En attendant, les plats étaient tous très bons et la serveuse malgré tout était très agréable. Au moins ils ont le mérite d’être le seul restaurant asiatique à proposer des plats végétariens typiques. Ce seul point en fait un restaurant des plus intéressants quand on en a assez des menus de sandwichs/salades/soupes…

I consider this place as one of the most interesting vegetarian places in Montreal… Just because it does not get you a “Soup/sandwiches/salad” menu ! Indeed you can have an all-you-can-eat buffet for lunch with various typical Asian dishes. We choose at least 4 or 6 dishes each and they were all very good. Not exceptionally tasty though, but we really enjoyed our time here and it is quite affordable for everyone. The waitress was really busy and it took quite a bit of time for her to serve us until the end, but she was very polite and smiling. The buffet is not huge and you can probably eat all that is on it in two meals. So maybe not a buffet to go to every week.

A great all you can eat veggie place! - Edit

It was my first vegetarian restaurant in Montreal and it was a good one! The all you can eat principle is really great. I took this formula on evening and it was a good choice. Food is really good, there is a lot of dishes from different parts of Asia and vegan items are clearly indicated. The place is pleasant, there is room and the staff is friendly.

Strongly recommended if you're hungry!

Pros: good food, numerous vegan options, all you can eat, varied asian food, pleasant place

Great for vegans - Edit

I had the set meal which included miso soup, a bento box style main, and a green tea for afters.

In the bento box there were dumplings, a seaweed salad, broccoli, brown rice, fresh edamame and a sautéed tofu dish with sweet basil.

It was a very satisfying meal in a spacious, calm environment with friendly, helpful staff. The music was low key and quiet.

Perhaps a bit on the pricey side, but the meal was very good.

Pros: Excellent food, Good atmosphere

Cons: A little expensive

Loved the steamed buns - Edit

Went there with my husband and baby and had a great time (they have highchairs). Ordering off the all you can eat list works great because the food is delivered hot, fresh, and in small enough portions that even a couple can try a lot of items. We did four rounds of ordering small amounts to prevent wasting (and having to pay for) food. I recommend the Chinese broccoli, the steam buns, and the wonton soup. It was all pretty tasty but be careful not to order too many of the mock meat dishes.

Pros: Tables nicely spaced apart, Tasty food, Nice decor

All you can eat! - Edit

I highly recommend the all you can eat deal, where you can really eat A LOT!

All items that are not vegan are clearly indicated.

Perfect for large groups and for sharing.

Lots of fried food and mock meats.

I recommend the vegan fish with lemon sauce, the vegan sea food fried with salt and pepper, the chinese broccoli and the tempura. And the curries.

Cons: toilet could be better

Love this place - Edit

I have been vegetarian for over 20 years. I and my husband always go to Yuan for supper. We love the buffet menu very much. The owner is very nice. We just love everything here :)

Pros: Tasty food, Friendly stuffs

Cons: Parking spot

Good if you are into mock meat.... - Edit

Very good appetizers, some interesting dishes in the Chet's special section. Excellent shiitake mushroom dish. Not so good an experience with the brown rice. Excellent setting - serene white warm but calm.

Pros: Extensive menu, Good service

Cons: Quite heavy on mock meat

Great for mock-meat lovers - Edit

Yuan is the place we go to when we want to pig out. All you can eat of a variety of mock meats, sushi and more. You pay a flat fee and then are given a paper where you write down what you want to eat and then they bring it to you. Afterwards you can do a second round but be careful not to eat to much as you will be charged for anything you do not finish.

Pros: delicious mock meat, huge portions, location

Cons: decor

Best Wonton Soup! - Edit

We came in, and it was very zen. The waiter was so cute(humble) and genuinely nice/zen. I got the wonton soup which was so good! I crave it to this day. My bf got General Tao Chik'n which was really good as well. Nice texture.

Pros: Amazing Food, Good Staff, Zen

Cons: A bit dark lighted, Still new/ front cash a bit messy

In praise of Yuan - Edit

I love this place and often go there with friends so we can share dishes. The food is always creative and great tasting. The family who own and run it are truly beautiful, generous, and kind people. I think that comes through in their offering. I even bring omnivores here and they love it.

Pros: tremendous variety - visual and taste, good nutritious food, presentation and service

Cons: the acoustics are not great

Great value - Edit

Any restaurant where my girlfriend can eat all the dishes is good in my books. It's true that some of the dishes have no seasoning and others are really salty and heavy, but you can't argue with the price!

Another reviewer said that the server did not offer drinks and that was my experience too. They also had trouble with their 1 wireless card reader though fortunately we had enough cash to pay the bill. They really should have a wired backup at the bar.

I would go back. The location is close to many spots including the national library and theatres.

I'll rate it very good because they are not pretending to be extravagant veg cuisine, they deliver a full belly at the right price.

Pros: great value, AYCE!

Cons: Hit and miss dishes

Just okay - Edit

Yuan was close to our hotel, so we had to try it. We were kind of disappointed that no one asked us if we wanted anything to drink other than water. We weren't even offered tea and didn't see any on the menu. The menu had a few too many mock meats for my liking and not enough creativity. The pumpkin curry was delicious but very salty. Like I said, it was just okay.

Best buffet, tasty veggie food - Edit

This place was easy to find, and really professional looking for a veggie restaurant. I decided to go for the buffet menu for $20 +tax, which was as much as you can eat, tea and pudding (ice cream or rice cake). You can order as you go - you mark a paper menu with a few things you'd like to try, and can order more as you go so you don't waste food. What is great is that the food is freshly cooked to order, and tasty and the service was good too (a steady flow of dishes). The tempura was great, really crispy, the dim sum was nice and the mock meat dishes good too. If I was in Montreal again, I would not hesitate to return here because it was so nice.

Pros: Value for money, Tasty, Variety

Enjoyable Asian Vegan-Vegetarian Meals - Edit

They have many meal selections based on Asian flavours (mainly Chinese style).
We ordered a few dishes from their a la cart menu.
Frankly speaking, their meals are not super fantastic, but decent and enjoyable to eat. It is worth to try and I may be going back when I will visit Montreal again.
What I was a little disappointed are they have only a little selection of beverages (non alcohol) and desserts. They have only two kinds of desserts: ice cream (non vegan) or rice cake. Otherwise, you can get fortune cookies and smile when you pay.

Obsessed with all you can eat? Go! - Edit

Recreational eating has always been a guilty pleasure. I will poo-poo the idea in public, but probably would indulge in private, if given the vegan opportunity. Well, thanks to the fact that the head office of my company is based in Montreal, every time I am in town, I come to Yuan for their vegan AYCE experience, really one of a kind for Canada. You basically can order from an entire menu of small plates of delicious Asian treats, like sushi, dim sum, noodles and small size entrees. Most everything is vegan, except for a few items made of processed ingredients that contain either egg or whey protein. I cannot vouch for the healthiness of the food (seems like Chinese vegan food and mockmeats have a lot of sodium, to my palate), but for a once in a while guilty pleasure, the food is super yummy. My favorites are the seaweed salad, salt and pepper fried "shrimp", the fabulous Montreal style wontons in peanut sauce, the lemon "chicken", the singapore noodles, and the curry "steak". The sushi is OK to me, but I am not a big fan of sushi in general. The service is pleasant, although once in a while you might have a server that does not understand either English or French. The prices are extremely reasonable, given the quantity of food you could theoretically order, but even if you were to choose the a la carte menu, the prices are still quite reasonable. The new decor is charming, but can be a little cold, especially in the section in the back of the restaurant near the washrooms, and on a weeknight when the restaurant is not full. But, this is really an unimportant detail in my opinion. I think Yuan is one of the best mostly vegan Chinese restaurants in Canada, and highly recommend a visit!! Plus, they have a great selection of frozen mockmeats and dishes to purchase in their mini market - a rarity for Montreal!!

Pros: Tasty, Delicious food, Quantity of Food, Price

Cons: Salt content of some mockmeats, Bit of language barrier, Some non vegan items

what a pleasant dinner! - Edit

I just had dinner at Yuan, which has an unusual all-you-can-eat format [a buffet but you order from a sheet and they bring it to you]. Mostly vegan, lots of fake-meat dishes. Everything I tried had good flavor and spicing -- the Imperial Yuan sushi, the edamame [though they did not give me a plate for the discards], General Tao eggplant, tempura and Singapore noodles. Dessert was green tea ice cream [not vegan]. Service was perfect, the place was clean, bright and clean -- I am amazed it only has 4 stars out of 5 on Happy Cow?!

Pros: excellent food, excellent value, friendly staff

Cons: guessing how much to order

Great Vegan food - Edit

I went to Yuan's tonight for supper with a friend. I have to say the vegan pineapple chicken was fabulous. The texture was perfect, not too much batter on the "chicken" I was impressed. I also had the dumplings in peanut butter sauce and that too was delish!
The main reason for going was the sushi and it did not disappoint! I favourites were Dragon, Califonia, and Imperial Yuan - just excellent.

The whole experience there was wonderful.

Pros: Pineapple Chicken, Sushi, Relaxing Atmosphere

Very good Vegan Sushi, but.... - Edit

We had high hopes for YUAN after a long day of walking around Montreal. We were hungry and ready for some great vegan Asian cuisine.

The restaurant was easy to find and it's VERY spacious, new, and clean. The staff were very polite and quite lovely.

They do most of their rolls very well: The avocado roll, the Futo roll, and Dragon Roll were tasty and the California roll was wonderfully delightful. If you want vegan sushi, Yuan is a very good option for it in Montréal. Sadly, nothing else on the menu was good.

We had the Wonton soup- it was exceptionally bland but had too much of an MSG/saltiness to it. The vegetable tempura was overcooked-- the batter was too thick and caked onto the veggies and it was hard to chew. The same could be said of the over-cooked/ hardened base of the sushi pizza: It way too hard to chew and the toppings was really FISHY tasting and quite messy. It really was quite vile.

The pineapple "chicken" was tasteless but otherwise inoffensive. The Gen. Tsao's "Chicken" was so over-fried that the "chicken" imploded when bitten into. It was like eating fried cubes of air. The ginger tofu was the most upsetting; Too much basil, not enough ginger, the odd addition of Gogi berries and BLACK OLIVES?!? I happen to LOVE each of these ingredients but together it was such a bad combination of (flavorless) items, and they were all overcooked. Neither of us could finish it.

Lastly, the Agedashi Tofu was over-fried; Hard and oily on the outside, tasteless and airy on the inside and the Stir Fried Tofu with Peanut sauce was far too peanuty... and I LOVE peanuts!

In all, Yuan is a clean, nice, centrally located space to get a few vegan rolls but order them A la carte. The temptation to fill up on the "all you can eat" menu will leave you ordering more and more, hoping for something good to eat, only to be disappointed again and again.

Pros: Clean, Friendly staff, Easy to locate

Cons: Pricey, Food is not tasty

Love the new location - Edit

The new space on St-Denis is much nicer than the old one on Sherbroke. Food is good and fresh. Their All you Can Eat concept is good although when you go with a large group, it can get tricky and sometimes servers will forget to bring dishes to sections of the table.
Still, definitely one of my favorite places to eat in Montreal.

Pros: Good, Reasonably priced, Nice setting

Cons: service when in group

Changed for the better! An amazing place. - Edit

Yuan moved around the corner and upgraded their decor, what really surprised me though is that they upgraded their food too! Before the lunch buffet was cheap and pretty ok, the menu was expensive and lacked inspiration. Now, there is always a tout-a-volonté (all you can eat) option for $17 or $20 and it is a-m-a-z-i-n-g!

You order the dishes you want and they prepare them fresh for you. They come in little dishes for sharing so you can sample a good part of the menu each time you visit (don't worry though, you will come back). The food is really amazing, and almost all vegan. The stuff with eggs or milk in it is clearly labelled (6 dishes out of about 50 I'd say).

They have a variety of vegetarian maki sushi (12-14 kinds) plus a number of veggie nigiri sushi (6-8 kinds), 3 soups (the wonton is the best wonton soup I've ever had), 6 or 7 salads, a large number of appetizers, and finally about 20 tawainese-style dishes (chinese like). I have brought a number of people, meat-eaters, vegetarians, vegans, super picky people, people allergic to several things, and every single person has loved it. Convince your friends to go for the all-you-can-eat price, it is way more fun and the dishes are so good you will want to try a number of them.

Highlights: fried dumplings, ravioli's in peanut sauce, general tau chicken, wonton soup, Imperial Yuan Sushi, Sushi Pizza, tofu in ginger and basil, lemon chicken, seat and sour chicken, and others I am forgetting. The only thing to avoid is the coconut shrimp, it's ok but the fake shrimp are just weird and too bulky.

Also, you can order flowering tisanes, these are herbal teas that are actually little flowers that they put in these beautiful clear pots so you can watch them open. It's worth the extra $4.50.

There is no alcohol license so you cannot bring your own wine or purchase alcohol there. We have brought our own fake wine/sparkling juice (we did ask first) if you want to have a fancy birthday dinner or something.

Highly recommended for visitors and residents alike. If you know the old Yuan, I promise you, the food is much better. The staff are super friends, kind, and helpful as always.

Also, the have a bit fake-meat grocery in the front, lots of fun, whacky, fake meat products. Fun for thanks-giving or if you absolutely love one of their dishes and want to re-create it.

Pros: Delicious, Friendly Staff, Well priced

Best service, low price, amazing food - Edit

Staff is genuinely friendly and always willing to please.
I have been going to this restaurant for the past 3 years. They recently moved to a much nicer location and the diversity and quality of the food is just incredible.
I would give it 10 cows if I could.

Love the All You Can Eat Menu - Edit

I hit up this place during a business trip and I'm glad that I did. I decided to try the All You Can Eat menu (Mon-Thur) for $18. I got to try 9 different dishes. The servings are just perfect for you to try and there's no limit to how much you can order. The server were very nice and even offered some recommendations. I didn't feel like they were trying to rush me either. I came out of there so stuffed! Where else can a vegetarian get a 9 course meal for $18 (plus tax & tip)?

Pros: good variety, decent price, yummy food

Great food, service, and ambiance! - Edit

The staff is super-friendly, the food superb, and the menu has been simplified to include what is essentially the best of the best! I would recommend this resto to vegetarians, vegans, and non-vegetarians alike (NB. Most of my buddies are non-veg, and totally love this place)! The new location is fabulous!

Pros: excellent food, friendly staff, good value

Cons: no alcohol

OMG, it gets better!!! - Edit

I've always loved Yuan, and now it's gotten even better. New location, new decor, new menu...yum, yum!!
Everything is SO tasty, and I love the new idea of open menu, all you can eat, brought right to your table. You've upped yourself!! I don't know how you were able to do it, and you've made yourself even better!! I'll be back VERY often :)

Pros: delicious, comfortable decor, excellent service

Cons: none

Yums - Edit

I really enjoyed the Hot Pot i got. I've never had anything like it before, it was interesting! They have a very creative menu where you want to try absolutely everything, it's very appealing to meat eaters alike as everything just tastes that good. Some of the things lack flavor though. some of their steamed veggies were almost flavorless, or undercooked, their rice was pretty blah as well, but make sure to put sauce on all those things. their sauces are pretty fantastic i might say.

You can also buy food in the other area that they make there. Be careful as there are MSG'S in their food, which really disappointed me.

Other then that, it was cool to sit in a fancy ish ambiance and eat veg, which isn't very common.

I'm only giving a 3 because of the MSG content. otherwise, it would have been a 4.

Pros: tasty, different

Cons: MSG, staff could be more informed

Cheap and Delicious - Edit

The atmosphere is a little shabby but you won't mind once you're eating the delicious food. I've never had veggie pork but it is fabulous. When my partner and I were there they had a really cheap lunch buffet that seemed too good to be true. The service was also great, so friendly and prompt! They spoke little english (probably more fluent in mandarin and french!) but their sincerity still came through. Missing that place now that I'm back in Ontario.

Pros: good value, friendly staff, excellent food

Cons: lacking in atmosphere

Not the best, not the worse - Edit

I went to Yuan a couple of times...
I am not a fan of their lunch buffet. A lot of the items are really salty or really sweet, or both. It is a mix of odd flavor combinations, and cold/warm food that should have been served hot.
The dinner menu is much better. However, you need to know what you're into. They do have quite a lot of FRIED items so if you don't like those check out for the words 'grilled' or 'steamed' and be sure to specify. Also, the menu is high on fake meat : i'm not a fan. They have some interesting dishes, like their sushis ( non-fried one, of course ) which are probably the best item to order. They are really good and well presented. They also have a lot of vegetables plates, with a lot of funny asian veggies that i never tasted before! Their soups are pretty good, too. They don't really have a vegan dessert. When i asked, i received a dry cookie, more salty than sweet. They have a selection of fine tea that i liked a lot. Good quality, great taste, and nice little cups.
There is a lot of place to sit and it is an ideal place if you go with a group.
Service is good ; they just have a problem with the number of people working for such a wide place. One night i was with about 10 persons and the orders all got mixed up and some of us had the wrong plates. Also, it was slow. They apologized saying there was one cook and 2 servers only that night. They offered us free tea ( yay! ) and we did not pay for the soup. They are always polite, and friendly, and they do the best they can. I think the problem comes from how the place is managed.
Anyway i would recommand this place for groups but maybe call for a reservation so they can have enough staff. Order some sushis, a steamed veggie plate and tea and you might have a nice dinner!

Hit and miss - Edit

I've been here several times and my experiences vary. Sometimes the food is great, other times not so much. Although the staff is very friendly, service can be slow. Overall, I find the food to be average, but that's okay considering the reasonable prices. The physical space is quite lovely and calm.

Pros: cheap, good selection, friendly staff

Cons: slow service, average quality food

What an experience! - Edit

This is a truly nice place to sit for an hour and experience the Asiatic Creative Vegetarian Cuisine
I been there around 15 times and NEVER been disapointed.

The "table d'h'te" is the best way to enjoy the whole thing. Both miso and sweet-and-sour soup are great, the ginger salad is so refreshing, sushi's are CRAZY, and my favorite meals s definitely the "végé-anguille" (veggie eel), but the eggplant in basil sauce, the steak are pretty good too. Everything is in the textures and different tastes! but sure, there is lots of sugar and sweet sauce.
Great selection of really good teas.

Make sure to visit the backstore boutique with a freezer full of really good fake meat, almond powder, shitake mushrooms and sea weed.

We went only once to buffet that seems to be only served for lunch.

when you make reservation, you can choose the special low table, where meals are served in cute bento style dishes, for a complete experience.

Not impressed - Edit

maybe i'm spoiled because i have all the best vegan chinese restaurants a girl could ask for in chinatown, philadelphia, pa (kingdom of vegetarians, harmony, singapore; what else do you need!?), but i was not impressed by this restaurant. my fiance and i stopped in for a late lunch; the buffet was not impressive, so we opted to order a la carte. the best part of our meal were the appetizers we ordered - the roasted duck legs were so good! and cute (burdock root serves as the "bone" of the duck leg). but our meals were terrible, and i NEVER say that about places that are at least trying to be healthful and vegan. we ordered the general tso's chicken and the sweet and sour chicken...both were so fried that eating two or three pieces of "chicken" was all we could handle before feeling a weird stomach. and the sauces were gooey and thick and not tasty at all. tasted like something out of a jar from the grocery store. it was just terrible. because we hate to waste food, we did get the food wrapped to go, but we couldn't even bring ourselves to eat it later on. yuck! sorry for the harsh review. i don't live in montreal, so i haven't been able to go back and try other entrees. i hope that we were just there on an "off day".

AMAZING VEGAN SUSHI!!! - Edit

Every time we go to Yuan we splurge and get the sushi. It is by far the most satisfying, delicious veggie sushi I have ever had. Except for one type that comes with cream cheese, all the other makis are vegan. The prices may discourage you at first, but each item typically has 8 massive pieces per order so lots of value and you don't need to order much to fill you up. Which is a problem because trust me, you WANT to order one of each maki (stick to the right page, the ones called "M1", "M6" etc are the best!)

In response to the person complaining about their hours, I called ahead on Good Friday (since it was a holiday) and they told me they closed at 9:30 pm. My boyfriend and I showed up at 9:14 and they not only served us, but we ended up leaving at 11pm, an hour and a half AFTER they were supposed to close, without hearing one word from them the entire time.

A quick note to any first-timers: this is a family-run business and it is the type of place you should go to when you want to spend a nice long evening savouring delicious tea and wonderful food. If you are in a hurry, then go to Commensal down the street (it's a buffet). Personally I'd rather make an evening out of it and spend my money supporting a restaurant managed with a lot of love and care by a wonderful family.

Pros: Yummy Sushi! Good tea!, Wonderful staff, Nice Atmosphere

amazing lunch buffet! - Edit

I just love the lunch special 8$ fabulous vege buffet! soup, salad, many choices!
but dont let any tips cuz all the tip money go in the restaurant pocket, not to the waitress :(

Unpleasant food, if you can even get served - Edit

A very wise man once told me that if he can't say anything nice about a place, he won't say anything at all. I thought about that when deciding whether or to write about Yuan when I first visited six weeks ago, even forgetting that my wise friend is actually a famous restaurant critic, but my rude experience there last Friday night means I'm gonna share my unpleasant experience anyway.

I went on a Thursday night about 9pm, there was one other table being served in the entire restaurant. The menu sounded good, the soup and sushi appetisers were perfectly OK, but the veggie Chinese restaurant staple, sweet and sour battered fake chicken, was a disaster. Imagine if you will someone opened a tin of some disgusting cheap Uncle Bens or Sharwoods Chinese sauce, added a tablespoon of dayglo tartrazine, microwaved it for 30 seconds and poured it over some fake chicken balls, with a side of wilted lettuce. I've had this dish dozens of times at dozens of veggie Chinese restaurants, and this was hands-down the worst of the lot.

Don't ask me why, but because the starters had been OK and because I'm a bit of a soft touch, last weekend I thought I'd give the place another chance, so on Friday I turned up at 9.42pm, thinking it closed at 10.30pm as per happycow's website (it's now actually shown on the door as closing at 10pm), but they told me that the kitchen was closed. It didn't matter to them that I'd spent $15 in a taxi to get there. Why bother with displaying closing times if you're just gonna ignore them? What time should you show up to get served here? 9.30pm? 9pm? 8pm?

I've got a better idea. Don't show up at all. There are tons of other far better vegetarian restaurants in this part of Montreal. Save your money and go elsewhere.

Pros: relatively cheap

Cons: you get what you pay for, if you can even pay for it, if they don't close early on you

I LOVE Yuan - Edit

We have been to Yaun 10+ times and have enjoyed it everytime. Lots of yummy vegan choices, friendly staff, clean, and a back area where you can buy TVP items. Their sweet and sour soup is delicious! 5+

Pros: Clean, Freindly staff, Good value

Delicious and Good Portion - Edit

We like this restaurant and have been there for a couple of times for dinner. The food is good and very friendly service. However, it seems like they do not have many staff, so the service can be a bit slow too.
There are many choice of food and the portion is big or fair enough with the price.
This is our favorite restaurant in Montreal.

Pros: Food, Price, Ambient

top notch! - Edit

if you make it to the lunch buffet here consider your self a very lucky person for that day. the buffet rules, it even has sushi. there is salad stuff. soup, and small dessert things and a decent selection for everyone. entirely vegan as far as i know. i have only been for the buffet and as long as the same stuff is on the menu and you choose well, you will be pleased.

Average food, good prices and selection - Edit

My travel companion and myself recently visited this restaurant and chose to try the weekend buffet. The spread was impressive, the atmosphere calming and it was conveniently located near the Sherbrooke Metro stop. For the most part, the food items were adequate; the vegetarian wonton soup in particular was a hit, with its tasty not-too-full, not-too-pasty wontons in a delicious broth. The lemon chicken was crunchy and drizzled with just the right amount of not-too-sweet, not-too-sour lemon sauce thickened with cornstarch. The green beans were particularly hearty with their black-bean sauce which imparted just the right amount of salt. Some of the other items did not impress or were misses: soggy deep-fried sweet-and-sour "pork" balls in a tasteless mess of Chinese cabbage, deep-fried odd-looking and -tasting "fish" balls with an overly heavy batter, and fried rice with a creative use of pumpkin squash that didn't add much to transform this rather bland dish. The dessert choices were disappointing and surprising; instead of traditional Chinese vegan desserts such as wor pang (deep-fried pastry filled with bean paste), banana cake (rice flour with banana swirled through it) or a Chinese vegetarian dessert such as custard tart, they served a choice of almond cookie and a mini creme brulee. Both looked store-bought and not particularly appetizing. $10.95 for the Saturday buffet, before tax and tip.

Pros: great location, relatively inexpensive, decent options

Cons: some bland dishes, soggy sweet & sour pork, store-bought desserts

so good - Edit

I went to yuan the first time when I had just moved to Montreal. The food was good, lots of selection, all veggie, but nothing special. I went there about a month ago and it has totally revamped its menu. I order the fake lemon-fish and it was delicious. All menu items come with an accompanyment and the table d'hote will fill you up and then some. Lots of delicious food, good atmostphere and free tea. This place is a keeper, way better than chuchai which totes similar menu items at a higher price and lower quality. Service is very friendly but can be slow if you go during off hours. Totally recommended!

Pros: yummy food, big portions, good value

crispy fish - Edit

We both loved the crispy fish with a mild lemon sauce and tempura broccoli. The lunch buffet is perfect for sampling and hungry people.

Pros: good value at lunch, nice alternatives to regular veg, quiet and peaceful

Cons: it was chilly in the restaurant

should be in the '2-carrot' category since it - Edit

could be a pricey experience when you do not choose your dishes carefully.
My wife and I went to this restaurant on our first evening in Montreal, Quebec. It has a nice decor and has some non-food items for sale at the display counter.
I ordered the wonton soup ($3.00) and pad thai(7.99) for my main. My wife ordered the sticky rice ($2.50) and the small vegetarian "meat" platter ($14.95)- which turned out to be really really ... really small.
My wonton soup was good although a bit more in the wonton catagory would have been nice (only 3 very very small wontons were in the soup).

The Pad Thai was a good portion.

I also had the free tea which was ok. They used tea-bags though.
My wife's platter of vegetarian "meats" included deep fried (yet cold) tofu leaves, 3 extremely thin slices of cold mock ham, cold algae, 2 types of maki,pink ginger sheets, quite a bit of lettuce (unfortunately a lot of noticable wilted dark edges and dark folds were present which should not have been included with the lettuce) and a blob of wasabi. It would have been nice to have a choice for the dip.

More variety in this dish would have been better (they don't include their pork, fish, etc. there). The lettuce upon which everything was laid took up too much of the volume.
The sticky rice was good according to my wife although I still have fond memories of the sticky rice I had in Thailand which was cooked in bamboo cylinders along the road sides. That tasty treat has perhaps ruined me for trying other sticky rice.
Summary: do not order the meat platter and you'll have good value for your money. (We looked at the other tables, some dishes were of big portions ). All in all around 33 CND (after taxes and before gratuity).

Pros: free iced plain water, which arrive 45 mins after we've been , seated, :(!

Cons: veggie meat plater, tea-bag, veggie meat plater

best vegetarian restaurant in montreal - Edit

me and my wife are regular customers.the food is amazing and the service is excellent,everyone is friendly.they have a new menu since the beginning of the year and there is more choices.the prices are really good,nothing too expensive like some other vegetarian restaurants.theres also a store in the back of the restaurant which is pretty amazing.you can find all you need.thank you yuan for being in montreal.

Very Nice - Edit

We were impressed by the variety of fake meats (the menu is quite extensive), and the staff was very friendly. We both got soup - hot and sour and won ton. Both were wonderful, very fresh-tasting and light. I had the lemon 'fake' fish (beautifully displayed with pieces of lemon wedged into the cuts of fish). My partner got the pepper chicken stir-fry, but sadly, it was cold...that was our only complaint!

Pros: large menu, nice staff, comfortable atmosphere

Return to Montreal Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Yuan Vegetarien closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 9638 times since Aug 2007.