Surn Yi Mei Shi Guan

Contact 016664666

13B, Thoamak Lekhet Ouk (St. 184), Phnom Penh, Cambodia, 12206

Serves veggieburgers, noodles cooked Chinese-style; uses eggs in some items, particularly in the specials that come with an egg on top - vegans to specify. Note that it's reported restaurant keeps a caged rabbit. 1/2 block east of Norodom Blvd near Royal Palace.

Category: Ovo, Khmer, Cambodian

First Review by raphalla

Big menu - Edit

Lots of choices on the menu. Many burger set meal combo options, Khmer dishes, some Thai. But it is all rather complex to understnnd for the first time visitor, even with a photo - one still doesn't really know what one is ordering.

Still, it was very cheap and decent enough.

Great range of fruit drinks too.

Pros: Cheap, Central location, Good range of drinks

Cons: Difficult to understand the dishes

Delicious and very cheap! - Edit

Huge menu. Many dishes served with egg, but you can ask without it. Burgers are delicious. Prices are very cheap, even dishes with meat substitute cost less than the simple fried rice with vegetable you can find everywhere. Only street food stalls are cheaper.
Staff speaks very poor English.

Pros: Many options, Very tasty

Cons: Staff speaks very poor English

my new regular resturant - Edit

Mushroom steak buyers are really good and only $1.75 they do have egg in them though. Very extensive menu. Some of my favourite dishes are thick mushroom noodle soup, sizzling rice with corn and mushroom steak,Chinese nutrition soup and the classic meal.

Pros: good value

I became a regular - Edit

Extensive menu of small veg/vegan items. tasty and friendly. didn't see the caged rabbit mentioned above. nice egg and fake meat burger. very cheap indeed. WiFi works. don't try and tip...they don't really get it (it's a local joint and locals don't top).

Average flavours - Edit

I had the mushroom curry and was a little disappointed by the amount of mushrooms (4) and veggies in what was really a soup. My partner had the noodles with curry which was about the same. Head to the other restaurant next door.
Updated from previous review on Wednesday June 10, 2015

Pros: Friendly staff

Cons: Average meals, Uncomfortable chairs

Great burger, not sure about the rest - Edit

As previous reviews have suggested the veggie burger is amazing (but does have egg)
The deep fried drumstick was also good
The rest - mmmm, maybe best avoided

Pros: Amazing veggie burger

Cons: Other food so-so

Something is missing - Edit

The restauran is simple but nice in its own way. The menu is extensive, with a mixture of western and local dishes. Prices are moderate to cheap, and you get good portions. I wasn't very impressed with the taste, but it was OK for what I paid.

The restaurant also has free wifi.

Pros: large menu, free wifi, inexpensive juices

Cons: some dishes too spicy, vegan dishes not marked on the menu

Yes it is vegetarian, but.. - Edit

In Cambodia it is nice to find some vegetarian food, that's why I would rate it OK.
Yes it is vegetarian, but most of the dishes come with some "meat-replacement" stuff. In both of our two meals there was either some "vegetarian ham" or "vegetarian beef stripes" even the menu didn't mention it. I personally can't get my head around why one should be vegetarian, but still ask for the same taste as meat. If you like this, then it's your place, but on my point of view there are much better places around. (i.e. The Corn)

Cons: "meat-replacement" stuff

Caged Rabbit and Dog - Edit

I can confirm that there is a caged rabbit and dog in the restaurant. These are kept in the dining area in the back and didn't notice until my third visit.
The food is average - I tried the curry fried rice and it was much too oily The mushroom veg steak hamburger was very good. The menu is fairly extensive with a range of khmer dishes - the focus seems to be on various noodle dishes.
Prices are very low between 1.50 to 3.00.
Staff have limited English.

Pros: Extensive menu, Very Cheap

Cons: Caged animals , Average food

Interesting place - Edit

Visited July or August 2012 and ate here 2 or 3 times as we had real difficulty finding any of the other places mentioned in this part of the city (I think many are tucked down side alleys or shut parts of the week!?)

Anyway- this place we stumbled across by accident actually looking for somewhere else- there are two places here, so take your pick (the pins are correct). This one had pretty friendly staff, with a small restaurant that through the back door (which I assumed was the kitchen) leads onto a big indoor area with chill-out chairs, a movie screen and a strange gym area. All a bit odd but we liked it there, plus one guy who worked there was so friendly, we chatted for ages!

The food was alright, like a lot of veggie places in Asia you kind of take a gamble with whatever you order, just point at something and hope for the best! The chicken drumstick things (photo added) were good so we got those and fries one time. Another visit we got noodle asian dishes and were left a bit disappointed, so i ordered the drumsticks again to fill me up haha!
The friendly staff guy also had a hawker out front that had a little muffin making machine in it, where he made all these different flavoured muffins and they were really opular with the locals. We were veggie (not vegan) at the time so we bought 4, I think around 20p each, they had chocolate and various fillings, certainly worth a go if you're veggie.

The only thing that left me sad is they've got a pet rabbit there in a sh*t cage and he said they never let it out. I don't really understand why, but I guess Asians have a different mindset to animals, even in a veggie place. Hmm.

snacks galor - Edit

During our stay in Phnom Penh, we used this little restaurant as a back up, for when we were in the vicinity and needed a good fix.
The first thing that struck me about this place was that it had some food I had never tried before. Some very nice vegan treats. There is a wide variety of mock this and mock that in all sorts of shapes and sizes and I really enjoyed trying different things on the menu.
One thing I tried on my first day was chicken drumsticks, which were delicious. It was mushroom on a herb stick, coated in tasty breadcrumbs and was totally scrumptious.
The restaurant itself is pretty nice too, with a couple of swings that you can sit on whilst you eat your meal.
The service... well, there was a time we ordered food and waited for 40mins only to find they had forgot, but we had other bits to keep us going. The staff speak hardly any English, so you need to be careful with what you order.
But the cost is very reasonable. We can eat plenty and fill our boots for around 10,000 Riel (us$2.5) but you can eat a little less and still be ok. It's a great lunch stop.

Pros: Good burgers, smily staff, lots of choice

Cons: a through way for students, non english speaking

Hit and Miss - Edit

Easy enough to find on the Northern side of St 184 between Norodom Blvd and the Royal Palace, this place has a small indoor dining area and a larger outdoor covered one. Not a great deal of ambience, but OK for a basic feed.

There's a massive menu here, but a surprising lack of variety - many of the soup and noodle dishes, for example, taste virtually identical. Ordering can be a little hit and miss as the English descriptions in the menu are occasionally misleading. A picture menu would help, but probably isn't practical considering the couple of hundred dishes available.

A lot of the dishes seem pretty random, the flavours generally aren't particularly well balanced, and there seems to be an overdependence on dried mushroom stalks. That said, there are some half decent dishes to be had. My favourites are the Golden Noodle Soup and Super Burger (not vegan). They also do a decent fried rice (though you'll have to tell them if you don't eat egg) and their sizzling dishes tend to be pretty good.

There's also a wide variety of shaved iced desserts and bubble teas (most of them very sweet) on offer.

With an average dish costing between 4000r and 6000r (US$1 - US$1.50), this place is cheap and cheerful, though there are better places to eat if you're only in PP for a brief trip.

Pros: Cheap, Huge menu

Cons: A lot of fairly poor dishes, No picture menu

cheap and cheerful - Edit

The waiter spoke basic English. I had fried potatoes and fried tofu for entree (the fried taro was unavailable unfortunately). Both were overcooked but OK. I had the sizzling noodles (includes vegetables and a bit of mock meat) hotplate, which was fine; plus an iced plum green tea (average quality). All up less than 3 US dollars.

me ones again... - Edit

Really nice place, though they almost got me with their noodle soup...i thought it must be meat, but had been a strange mushroom.
The vegetarian steak is highly recommendable. tune in early as i got 'refused' at 8.20 pm allready. Not for late eaters like me :-)
Have fun!
Merciless526

ps: couldn't ad 5 cows last time, but they deserve it!!!

Pros: friendly staff, very much in the centre

Cons: closes early

Interesting mushys but don't go out of your way... - Edit

This place was just ok. Most of the food was fried and the portions were on the small side. We had the vegie steak, stir-fried mushrooms and fried dumplings (selected these from the pictures out the front, although they also have an english menu). The mushrooms were interesting, so try them if you go to this place. The rest of the food was pretty average. The fried dumplings were small and didnt taste very fresh. The bubble tea was nice and for anyone who hasnt tried it I'd recommend trying it, here or elsewhere, at some point. The meal was ok priced, the 3 dishes and 2 bubble teas coming to 12,500r. This place wasn't great but but it wasnt bad either. [edited by staff - see tos]

Pros: Unique dishes, Interesting swing chairs, 100% veg

Cons: Too much fried food, small portions, lacks ambiance

Return to Phnom Penh Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Surn Yi Mei Shi Guan closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2690 times since Aug 2007.