San Bou

• Vegetarian
Contact 0736-562345

722 Kayasan Kaya-cha, Ito-gun, Wakayama-ken (at Odawari-dori), Koyasan, Japan,

Japanese vegetarian food restaurant. Table and tatami mat seating. Sets include sesame tofu, steamed vegetables, tea, barley rice bowl, tempura vegetables, miso soup, grilled tofu, udon noodles. Sesame tofu and freeze dried tofu are its specialties. Lunch only. Located across from the Fugenin Temple, 1/2 block from the town's main street, Odawari-dori. Has a sidewalk sign and menu with six vegetarian sets, with captions in English.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Japanese

First Review by Nancy Cadet

Nice place for lunch - Edit

We didn't stay in a temple in Koyasan but were keen to try out shojin ryori. The owner of our guest house recommended this place and we weren't disappointed. I chose the lunch box set (which was the most expensive meal at around 2500 Yen) and my friend had a ramen dish with tofu on top. Both dishes were tasty. Mine had, among other things, several variations of tofu preparation, which was nice to try. I can't compare it to shojin ryori at other temple lodgings but I think this was fun and affordable. Pretty sure the meal was vegan but as I'm a vegetarian I didn't check this.

go for the mountain vegetable rice pot - Edit

English menu but staff did not speak English. The mountain veggie rice pot was delicious, reminded me a bit of Hangawi in NYC. The whipped tofu over rice we did not eat, it may not have been vegan and was just not appealing.

Quick lunch place - Edit

Location: across the street from Fugenin-in temple on Senjuin dori;one half block from Main Street of Koyasan . There are menus displayed in front of the entrance, that say "vegetarian "in English.

Food: lunch only. Set meals with tofu,veggies, sesame tofu, barley rice mixture, rice bowls with veggies, or udon noodles. Moderate prices and quick service.if the Cafe Bon On Shya is closed or full, and you don't want to pay a lot for shojin ryori, this cafe is worth trying for lunch or a , coffee or tea break.
Updated from previous review on Tuesday October 15, 2013

Pros: Quick service, Moderate price, Central location

Cons: Lunch only

Return to Koyasan Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has San Bou closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1352 times since Oct 2013.