CLOSED: Pipino

Contact 63-2-4411773

38 Jupiter Street (at Makati Avenue), Metro Manila, Philippines,

Serves meat, vegan options available. An all vegan menu section, including desserts, in a meat restaurant. The restaurant is Pino, and the vegan section is Pipino. Unlike the Quezon City branch, there is only a screen between you and the meat side. MAR 2015 REPORTED SHUT. Open .

Category: Vegan-friendly, International, Non-veg

First Review by Tiggy

Just really bad - Edit

I actually couldn't believe how bad this place was, and such a let-down because it looked great on the internet. I hate to bad-mouth a vegan place because I like to support them as much as possible, but everything about my experience here was bad. I went there with my partner and realised that rather than being a place in itself, it is a sectioned-off part of a non-vegetarian restaurant: not a problem in itself, but I found the staff tended to neglect this area of the restaurant because it was not the main part. When we ordered our first choices were not available and I had to rethink. So my partner ordered the vege tempura and when it arrived the potato ones were undercooked. My vegan lasagne had tomato ketchup as the sauce!! (This is a high-end restaurant with an up-market clientele. My partner and I were amused by what looked like some sort of Sex and the City reunion going on in the main restaurant.) My mango shake - a drink which had been delicious almost everywhere else in the Philippines - wasn't properly blended and there were bits of skin in it. And our vegan caesar salad was bland and forgettable. I was excited about the multiple flavours of vegan ice cream for dessert, but when I asked for it, it was unavailable. So I asked for cake - and this was unavailable too. All that was available from the apparently extensive dessert menu were 'muffins', which turned out to be dainty little overly sweet cupcakes. In spite of this horrendous experience, I went back late another night because there were no other available explicitly vegan places I was aware of nearby. I ordered the lumpia, which, rather than the delicious spring rolls I was used to, was a soggy rolled up pancake with vegetable filling, zigzagged with sweet soy sauce and accompanied with a ridiculously huge pile of deep-fried rice noodles I wasn't sure what I was supposed to do with. I ordered too much and when my vegetable curry arrived it was insipid and accompanied by tofu 'chips' that tasted like smelly socks. I actually struggled to eat any of it. This time I just left and vowed never to go back.

Cons: Terrible food, Significant menu items unavailable, Sectioned off and neglected by staff

Return to Metro Manila Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: Pipino closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1014 times since Dec 2012.