Evergreen Vegetarian and Cafe House

Contact 016666159

109, St 130, Sangkat Phsar Chas, Phnom Penh, Cambodia, 855

Veg restaurant serving breakfast, lunch, dinner. A set meal includes rice, noodle, hot pot soup, and drink. Located behind Norton University. Open Mon-Sun 7:00am-2:00pm, Mon-Sun 3:30pm-9:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Khmer

First Review by simpsonyellow

Okay food, located in a touristy area, cheap - Edit

This veggie restaurant is located in the touristy area near the river and it´s practical for those who stay near the river, north from the royal palace.

The food wasn´t anything special here, but it´s cheap and the location is good. The fried noodles were a bit limp. I liked most the noodle soup with wontons, baguette with mock meat (available only about once a week) and the mock meats.

Pros: Okay food, okay prices, Located near the river

Cons: Food is not special

Good vegan options - Edit

To be honest the food is good but not great. Kind of reminds me of cheap Chinese restaurant food back home. But it was good enough considering the options in Phnom Penh that I went back twice! It also helps that they speak good English, and even knew what vegan means. I started to explain that I don't eat eggs and she's like "yeah you're vegan, right? what do you want?"

Pretty affordable. Not huge portions--I have a pretty big appetite and I have to get a main and an appetizer to get full. Probably under $4 for the two though.

Pros: good english, good vegan options, affordable

Cons: small-ish portions

So awesome! - Edit

Delicious & cheap, plus very friendly staff.

I went for the Sunday BBQ special, and it was AMAZING.

Free tea, some grilled kebabs on a stick, and it only cost $1.75 US. Amazing!

Pros: No meat, Friendly, Cheap

Cheap, great eats! - Edit

A very cheap restaurant (entrees are about $1-$3 on average) and friendly staff who speak great English. Free tea is served alongside your meal, and the menu is all in English as well as in Khmer. Most, if not all, dishes are Cambodian, so don't come here expecting Western food!

Pros: VERY cheap, English-speaking staff and menu, air-conditioned

Little gem - Edit

After reading the reviews I was curious about the place. I didn't see the sleeping man, but I did see the woman watching the video's. It turns out to be the owner who was very nice and tried to convince me to start a vegetarian restraunt.

The food was very good and the specials are cheap. Staff is certainly low energy and shy, but certainly kind.

Pros: Price, quality, taste

Cons: Nothing really

Lot of good vegan dishes! - Edit

The menu is really various. I tasted different dishes all vegan and really good and inexpensive!! For the first time I tasted the vegi shrimps! Interesting! They have many vegi-meat and vegi-seafood! And they open at 6.30 AM to enjoy a good salty breakfast. The only negative point is that the restaurant needs a relooking!

Pros: Good vegan dishes

Cons: Restaurant need a relooking!

food is fine, place is bizarre, I don't get it - Edit

I went here twice and Evergreen is... simple bizarre.

The food is OK, but I couldn't understand the bored staff. There was a corner table where one male server was fast asleep across the table. The girl next to him, also a server, was engrossed in a video while eating a bowl of noodles.

The second time was something out of a comedy: the same guy fast asleep, the same girl watching a video on her phone; while eating a bowl of noodles. A guy (the owner?) walking in with a drill, staring at me while walking by. The staff staring at me from the kitchen while I was about to eat, and they were also eating. I decided to stare back at them while they were eating and they moved away... The whole thing was simply hilarious!

People drifted in, from the street stall outside, with drinks, walked around the room, went through into the kitchen, sat in the stairwell, walked out again, a little boy walked in, started doing some schoolwork, left his bag, walked out, the main server who was nice and spoke English, took my order and left on her motorbike. The bill was higher than the menu prices and I was told that they hadn't had time to change the stickers.

The mushroom dumplings were fine, when I asked for the sauce that came with them, the server actually went first to her phone to pause her video and then had a spoonful of her soup, before heading to the kitchen to fill a dish with the sauce.

Like I said, it all straight out of a comedy show!

In short, it's just bizarre, because they can clearly make food here that is hot and fresh and tasty, and to order, but the whole lethargic atmosphere and the lacklustre mood, the sombre feeling left me heading straight up to Besto a few blocks up the street...

Pros: it's OK

Cons: atmosphere, pricing

Great Good! - Edit

Delicious and inexpensive place with lots of vegan options. the mushroom dumplings are absolutely amazing. This place hits the spot and is easy to find if you're staying near the Riverfront.

Pros: inexpensive and delicious

Nice restaurant - Edit

Huge menu card with many vegan options (or else they make your choice vegan, staff speaks pretty good English.) The Khmer style noodles were really delicious, the noodle soup with seitan was tasty but nothing extraordinary. The portion wasn't too big either but ok for the cheap price.

Pros: Lots of vegan options, cheap, tasty

Cons: not the biggest portions

Perfect place! - Edit

Nice place with a lot of vegan options for very very cheap price! soup, seitan options, topu. the service is very nice and the atmosphere is relaxing.

Pros: the most delicious food I had in Asia

Cons: very cheap

Vegetarian

Contributions +23

great food, great selection, CHEAP! - Edit

We have already been to this place twice since arriving here and tomorrow we will return for at least 1 more delicious meal!

Every time we leave from the restaurant we feel pleasantly full, happy and healthy.

They have a good range of this to order and the price is right.

Anyone who is a budget minded vegetarian should check it out.

Pros: good price, good range, fresh garnishes

Cons: no beer served

Have the soup! - Edit

At $1.75 you can't really go too wrong with having the noodle soup. It's a large portion and although doesn't contain many vegetables the soup is very good. During my time in Phnom Penh I came back here 3 times for they're extensive menu. The waitress actually asked me when ordering if I ate egg which was great as I didn't realise the pad thai would contain it, they are very accommodating They are all very friendly and serve free tea as soon as you sit down. They have various special dishes served on particular days as well as an extensive menu served every day from 6:30am

not bad for price - Edit

No frills place, not the tastiest, but not terrible. $2 for a plate of noodles with veggies and tofu or seitan. Staff speak little English, just make sure you don't get egg if you're vegan. Overall, not bad.

very good food for very good prices - Edit

During our 3 days in phnom penh we ate at this place 6 times! Staff was really friendly, food was fresh, everything we tried was really tasty, prices are very low.

Pros: good quality and low prices, easy to find , friendly staff

Good restaurant - Edit

Vegetarian restaurant, but you can ask for a vegan version of their dishes. MSG-free.
Menu in English. Daily special dish.
They offer free hot tea.
I had a dumpling soup with vegetable (2$). It was delicious although the pasta envelop of the dumplings were overcooked and just crumbled in the soup.

Pros: very tasty, easy to find

Good selection - Edit

We ate here several times and enjoyed the food. If you are like me and like mock meat, you will find a wide selection of choices. Overall, a good place to eat in Phnom Penh.

Pros: Good selection of mock meat options

Hole in the wall - Edit

Others mentioned it was a hole in the wall with great food but we didn't agree. We had the phat Thai which my partner said was recommended on the net, as well as a few other dishes and nothing was overly pleasing. The place was stuffy and I felt really uncomfortable being in there too. But the prices were good and if I was in that area Id probably go there for a cheap meal, but wouldn't go out of my way to get there.

Pros: prices

Cons: atmosphere

Great food and great people! - Edit

I have been eating here often for the passed 4 months. If you don't like fake meat then there's less to choose from, but the choices are great. My favourite is the Phat Thai; vegans make sure to ask for no egg. All items on the menu with egg are shown in the pictures except for Phat Thai because it is mixed in. Other favourites are fresh spring rolls, gyoza, dumpling soup, pineapple fried rice. The staff are helpful and friendly!

Pros: Friendly staff, Good value, Excellent food

Cons: Serves egg

low key place, nice people - Edit

ate a few times with my girlfriend and found the food to be fresh and tasty and very reasonably priced, they even stayed open for us one day at lunch. mostly locals and a few tourist, fairly easy to find, just a couple blocks from the main tourist drag on the water. would recommend

Pros: good value, good prices, nice staff

my go-to veg place in PP - Edit

I'm a regular here when in PP as it's by far the best deal in town. Prices are half what you'd pay in tourist-oriented restaurants in town. You can get a set meal with a main entree, a side dish, rice, soup, tea, and fruit for $2.50. Set meal changes daily and is the best choice on the menu most of the time. Arrive on the early side if possible since they often run out of some items.

Friendly owners who are genuinely interested in providing healthy, delicious veg food. English, Cambodian and Chinese spoken.

The food doesn't usually knock my socks off like what they can do at Khmer Surin or Malis (non-veg restaurants that can prepare veg food), but it is tasty enough, and the portion sizes are good.

The owner actually designs her own recipes and developed her own veggie burger and several other dishes on the menu. They make some of their own fake-meat products, including the veg burger, in house.

They'll make their blended drinks with soy milk instead of regular milk on request. The drinks are great.

Most of the menu is traditional Cambodian food done vegan. Very few items on the menu have eggs in them. Japanese veg food also available.

Closes briefly between lunch and dinner time.

Seats can fill up. Call in advance to reserve a table if going with a group of 6 or more.

No smoking.

Within walking distance from the New Market and the waterfront area.

Pros: cheap, lots of vegan options, traditional Cambodian food

Cons: sometimes run out of some items, some staff don't speak much English

Hole in the wall dive with best food in Phnom Penh - Edit

From the looks of the place, you may not expect much, but surprisingly, all the dishes were winners. We had a Vietnamese sandwhich. The mockmeat was weak and the baguette could have been stronger, but the spread more than made up for the rest of the sandwich. The hamburger was a real treat.

Pros: easy to find, good food, daily specials are a good value

Cons: lacks ambience, place needs a cleaning

Evergreen Vegetarian House - Edit

A few words to say how much I enjoyed eating at the beautiful Evergreen Vegetarian House with air con. Located in the heart of Phnom Penh and just two blocks from the vibrant River Side.Actually I ate there most days for two and a half months. The service was excellent,food always fresh with generous servings and prices very affordable.Needless to say,I am looking forward to eating there when I return .I highly recommend their Pat Thai at 2.00 a dish.

Quality and variety for a reasonable price - Edit

We didn't mind walking quite a ways from our hotel to eat at Evergreen several times during our 2011 visit.

Great food, good selection, friendly proprietors, and quite reasonable prices considering the quality.

Recommended.

top choice - Edit

We have been staying in Phnom Penh for 2 weeks, and this is our top choice. We eat here pretty much every day, not just because it happens to be on the same road as the aid organisation we work for (CHOICE - outside Shiva shack at the river end of the road - look it up), but also because it's a top spot to eat and nice and cool inside.
The staff have a good understanding of veganism though only a couple of them speak English. That didn't matter though as what they offer in smiles equals anything said in words.

There is absolutely loads to choose from and I loved each and every selection. Cost is not an issue here. We both ate breakfast for around 12,000 Riel (US$3) and for dinner, we spent around US$6/8. For the food you get, it's very good value.

I'm on my way there as soon as I send this...
Yum!!!

Pros: top service, very fast food, lots of tasty choices

Delicious - Edit

A great place with friendly people. They stayed open for us after we missed the lunch cut off and they had put up a sign. We ate 3 meals there and loved everone. We asked for a to go box of the " bacon" for the bus and were able to make sandwiches on the trip to ho chi min city. Very inexpensive.

Pros: Choice, Atmosphere, Nice people

Thumbs-up for Evergreen - Edit

Clean simple place with excellent food. The Pad Thai, for $2, had a variety of mock meats so this was a tasty dish with lots of interesting tastes and textures. I have also had the noodles with intestines (but don't worry, it's just seitan). Also very tasty and in the same price range. Just watch out for the red peppers if you don't like hot. The food was excellent and the place is a great value. I had pineapple milkshake for $1. Tasted fresh and smooth.

Pros: great food, nice variety, genuinely inexpensive

As it seemed yesterday - Edit

A small place (5 x 4 seats) with 20+ dishes and many fake meat options. Some of the options were almost the same, the other one was with and the other without egg. All portions were cheap starting from 1,5 USD (or even cheaper?), and the value was good. The menu we were given only contained food portions; we got a tee pot in the beginning and no other drinks were offered - maybe just because we didn't ask (because we didn't find them from the menu). The tee didn't cost anything.

There were not too many customers around 11-12 o'clock. The location is good, and the place was easy to find with happy cow instructions; the house numbers at the 130 street seemed to be logical, though we didn't notice Norton University or Sharky Bar. The Fatboy Sub & Sandwich Shop mentioned in the Lonely Planet was right across the street.

Staff was friendly enough, though it's hard to say how good their English was as they didn't speak much.

The food was good and the portions we got were normal in size. The athmosphere could have been nicer, as the place seemed more like a lunch cafeteria than a restaurant. The amount of fake meat options (or fake shrimp etc.)also disturbed me a bit. The overall experience, however, was good, as the value of the place was fairly good. If I was looking for a cheap place around the area, I could go back as well.

Pros: value, location

Cons: non-atmospheric, too many fake meat options

... - Edit

firstly, this place isn't completely vegan as a couple of the dishes (almost pointlessly) come with a fried egg on top...
..but otherwise it is about 90% vegan and really really tasty, cheap and the portion sizes are good. the soups are huge, even for our greedy bellies. i would highly recommend the dumpling soup too, totally delicious. the owner was lovely too; we wanted some food to take away after our meal for our train journey the next day and she offered to sell us packets of mock meat/fish to make into sandwiches. you should ask to see them, one actually looks like a whole fish!! weird.
she mentioned that they also cater for weddings and showed us some pictures which looked amazing, incase you're planning on getting married in that area!

Pros: tasty, good portions, cheap

Cons: none

Great Food. Excellent Lunch Spot - Edit

A great little addition to Phnom Penh's slowly growing list of vegetarian restaurants.

Mainly Taiwanese/Chinese cuisine, with noodle and rice dishes forming the basis of the menu. There are also quite a few interesting faux meat options, including artificial goose and artificial intestines!

Most dishes range from 4 - 7,000 riel (USD 1.00 - 1.25) and are pretty satisfying. They also do some great drinks at around 3,000 riel each (e.g. peanut milk tea).

I'd definitely recommend the set meal for 10,000 riel ($2.50). The last set meal I had included a delicious soup/curry, steamed rice with a small serve of faux seafood, a tofu stir fry, and a coconut milk and ice dessert with sweet beans. Delicious! The set meal dishes change on a daily basis, but the ones I've had have all been great value and tasty.

The restaurant is clean, nicely decorated, and has friendly staff.

[edited by staff] as far as the food goes, but it's a nicer restaurant in a much better location, and is a great lunch stop.

I'd normally give Evergreen a bit over 4 happy cows but, given the lack of good veg*n restaurants in Phnom Penh, I'll give it five.

Pros: Good food with great set meal, Nice new, clean restaurant, Nice staff

Cons: Menu a bit limited

Return to Phnom Penh Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Evergreen Vegetarian and Cafe House closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.