Filtered Reviews

1 Filtered Review of California Organics

The reviews below were either questionable or violated our site terms. They therefore are not factored into this business's overall star rating.

Check out the Review Guidelines | Review Removal.

Untrustworthy Ownership - Edit

While the staff is very friendly, you absolutely cannot trust the owner, Chris. If you are a patron of this store, or considering patronizing this store, you need to think twice. Here is my 100% true story to share... The owner was selling some food dispensing bins on Craigslist, which I enquired about. In a phone conversation, I told the owner I was going to open a zero-waste, package-free grocery store in the SF Bay Area and that I was starting small because funds were tight (hence the reason I wanted to buy used dispensers). He warned me not to open the store, saying profits are small, and “you always have to have one foot on the Dark Side.” I said I still wanted the bins, but it would take me a few days to get a truck or van and get up to Nevada City since I was coming from the Bay Area (3 hours away). He said he would hold them for me. When I got up there a few days later, just as planned, I found the bins being “stored” outside of his store, uncovered, disassembled, and partially filled with rain water, dirt, and mold. Many of the bins were broken, cracked, and/or missing pieces. When I said, “this wasn’t the condition I was expecting to find the bins in” (the craigslist post showed the bins assembled, in the store, with food in them), his response was, “Well when you buy things used, this is what you get. I’m busy, so if you don’t want them, I guess we’re done here. Sorry it didn’t work out.” He knew I drove 3 hours up and had to drive 3 hours back. He knew I had to either borrow or rent a van or truck to come pick them up. And yet he still felt comfortable deceiving me about the condition of the bins. The owner of California Organics, Chris, is not an honest fellow. If he had no problem deceiving me the way he did, it is completely appropriate to question the authenticity of every organic and/or natural product in his store. He and his “Dark Side” practices are terrible representation for the wonderful little town of Nevada City.

Pros: Friendly staff

Cons: Dishonest owner, Questionable practices