Community: Forum: Vegetarian Discussion

Vegan / Vegetarian Discussion - All Things Veg*n Forum

So, here goes it: How does one maintain good health- all things considered with a little life inside?? Any good books we should know about??

I've read of a couple who didn't feed their child milk and only soy milk.... and let's just say it didn't end well.

I am v-curious. :) I have been on and of vegetarian and now am pregnant. I am going to go see a naturopath. But if anyone has any ideas, I'm sure this could be useful for all-
Sincerely,
Christine

Responses (9)

• Report Abuse

Posted by Tatiana at 01/11/09 18:50:18

Here are some excellent resources for vegan pregnancy and for raising vegan kids:

http://www.vrg.org/nutrition/veganpregnancy.htm

http://www.vrg.org/nutrition/pregnancy.htm

http://www.vrg.org/nutshell/kids.htm

That whole site has a lot of excellent veg info, so browse around. :)

If you have the resources, seeing a registered dietitian who knows a lot about vegan diets would also be a good idea.

Just a note: this information is solely for educational purposes and is in no way to replace an actual medical visit. This website has a wealth of excellent information from a lot of great minds but please remember if you have any medical concerns or needs please see your medical doctor or healthcare provider.

• Report Abuse

Posted by JohnnySensible at 01/11/09 23:38:44

You may like this Christine - Summer Kolesar on "Raising Raw Children" - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cP8K3ZpU_lk

Raw Food Mom Summer Kolesar visits Raw Food Author Paul Nison in Florida and teaches about raising children on a raw food diet.

• Report Abuse

Posted by aadryanaa at 01/15/09 05:45:31

This is an issue indeed.. the little life may not grow healthy inside the mother because of this.
    I'm also a bit scared but i eat everything but meat, so it's easier for me. I want to be pregnant one day and have to see what effects this lifestyle has on the newborn.
    PS: good luck with the little baby :)

• Report Abuse

Posted by Chia at 01/16/09 13:56:49

Read Ina May Gaskin's book "Childbirth from Within."

I just gave birth to a little one in fall of 2008 on a mostly vegetarian diet that would have been all veg if not for the unexplicable crazy pregancy cravings of non-veg foods I ate when I was younger (that's another topic).

Anyways, I ate EXTRA portions of what I normally ate as a vegetarian - just to fill up and because the baby inside wanted to "eat", too.

Also took daily supplements including: vegan prenatal vitamin, bioflavinoid, and chlorella or spirulina.

Baby was born very healthy, strong, pink, and large.

My recommendation for women wanting to give birth are as follow:
    1. Consider a natural birth, at home if possible (but hospital also okay). Speak with a midwife and/or doula, or both. If going to the hospital, bring a doula.
    A midwife is medically trained to deliver babies at home. A doula is without medical license but trained to assist in the delivery process.
    2. Read Ina May Gaskin's book "Childbirth from Within"
    3. Consume prenatal vitamin, bioflavinoid, and chlorella or spirulina, and lots of greens and fresh fruit
    4. Relax as much as possible. Take lots of naps. Stress is bad for mom & baby
    5. Gentle exercises such as daily walks and prenatal yoga.
    5. Believe in yourself. You can do it.

• Report Abuse

Posted by kindlizard at 01/16/09 15:55:59

Well also, importantly, a doula will act as an advocate for you in the hospital and relay medical info and/or wishes for no drugs, and so forth. They will pressure or force (often) you into drugs and it is good to have a 3rd person there for you.

Chia, can you pm me your cravings please? I said I'd cook whatever comes up when our time comes and I want to know what I may be in for.

• Report Abuse

Posted by Toxiegirl at 02/03/09 17:03:43

Actually many doctors have said that the best thing you can do for your baby is to be on a vegan diet while pregnant and continue to raise them vegan. As long as you eat a well balanced diet vegans get just as much nutrients as meat eaters and actually a whole lot more. And you will virtually be eliminating your childs chances of getting many forms of cancer, heart disease, and diabetes. If you think about it like that there's no reason not to do it.

• Report Abuse

Posted by Amanda K at 03/19/09 12:06:12

I'm also interested in info about eating vegetarian during pregnancy. My second and third pregnancies I could not eat meat and rarely fish (only tuna). This one I have a severe aversion on meats, fish, eggs, peanutbutter (usually my source of protien), On and off on cheese, can no longer do sour cream or most dairy products. I can eat things that contain dairy or eggs like muffins or alfredo sauces.The kicker, I DO NOT want any meat substitues like vegie burgers or tofu chicken, if it smells or looks like meat, I can't handle it. All the recipies I have found so far are for making "meat" dishes meatless with a meat tasting substitute.I'll look into the info above, but anyone else want to chime in on maybe some good cook-books that could help me?Oh and I've been hearing soy is bad for children and messes with estrogen.

• Report Abuse

Posted by Tatiana at 03/19/09 13:38:17

The soy topic has been discussed previously, here is the thread:

http://www.happycow.net/forum/health/view_topic.php?id=34

In addition to the links I posted on the top of this thread, here is more info on protein sources:

http://www.vrg.org/nutrition/protein.htm

Just a note: this information is solely for educational purposes and is in no way to replace an actual medical visit. This website has a wealth of excellent information from a lot of great minds but please remember if you have any medical concerns or needs please see your medical doctor or healthcare provider.

Report Abuse

Posted by Polina44 at 11/02/17 11:51:37

Hello everyone, today I would like to talk about Vegan's Guide to a healthy pregnancy. Who read it?
    motherhow.com/vegan-diets-and-pregnancy

Keep HappyCow Growing Strong!

I would like to support