HappyCow is loading...

Community: Forum: Vegetarian Discussion

Vegetarian Discussion - All Things Veg*n Forum

It seems as though a vegetarian diet would be beneficiary to reducing kidney stone production. However, I am concerned about the amount of calcium oxalate in soy, bran, almonds, and spinach...staples of a veg diet. Does anyone else have experience in this area?

Responses (3)

• Report Abuse

Posted by Tatiana at 01/27/09 09:39:35

There are different types of kidney stones and different diet prescriptions based on that, so it kind of depends on the person's situation. If someone has a type of stone that requires oxalate restriction, it is very challenging with a veg diet. It can be done, it just requires a lot of careful planning and diet balance (and yes I have dealt with this before). Other things that may help prevent kidney stones are drinking plenty of fluids and limiting sodium intake.

If you want to know more about a specific case (for yourself, family, etc), I'd highly recommend seeing your doctor for more details on any stones to determine what types of restrictions would be needed in the diet first.

Just a note: this information is solely for educational purposes and is in no way to replace an actual medical visit. This website has a wealth of excellent information from a lot of great minds but please remember if you have any medical concerns or needs please see your medical doctor or healthcare provider.

• Report Abuse

Posted by Jimbomatic at 02/02/09 10:53:16

I saw my urologist this morning, and he advised me that I did indeed have a calcium oxalate stone. He has told me to avoid coffee, tea, spinach (and other dark greens), and nuts. I asked him about soy, and he said he wasn't aware of an issue there.

What's more, trying to find non-conflicting data on the internet is also hard. Some say broccoli, oats, kidney beans, and other things are LOW, others say HIGH.

Where can one get ACCURATE information on oxalate content. And are there some foods, even high in oxalate, that are less likely to cause problems than others?

• Report Abuse

Posted by Tatiana at 02/02/09 13:47:55

jimbomatic, now that you have your diagnosis from your medical provider, if you can see a vegan friendly registered dietitian in your area, they can help you to work this into your diet. It is complicated, but I have worked with patients on this before.

Just a note: this information is solely for educational purposes and is in no way to replace an actual medical visit. This website has a wealth of excellent information from a lot of great minds but please remember if you have any medical concerns or needs please see your medical doctor or healthcare provider.

You need to be logged in or registered to post.

Your browser is out-of-date!

Update your browser to view this website correctly. Update my browser now