Community: Forum: Vegetarian Discussion

Vegan / Vegetarian Discussion - All Things Veg*n Forum

This sounds funny, and it's not spam. I had just heard of the term, "Vegansexuals," a label used on people who do not eat any meat and who choose not to be sexually intimate with non-vegan partners.

Any comments?

Responses (14)

• Report Abuse

Posted by suzo at 08/03/07 19:03:39

That is kinda funny, wonder how they came up this that.

Report Abuse

Posted by Gorgeous at 08/03/07 21:59:26

Search "Google" or "Google News" - it has been discussed in stream blogs / papers over the past few days - including the Washington Post - blog.washingtonpost.com/offbeat/2007/08/no_sex_please_were_vegans.html - it is here to stay / grow / evolve!

• Report Abuse

Posted by JohnnySensible at 08/03/07 22:21:53

This academic report from New Zealand was the catalyst - www.nzchas.canterbury.ac.nz/research/Survey_Report_May_2007.pdf

Report Abuse

Posted by emama at 08/07/07 18:30:51

hahahahahahahahahahahaahah!!!! thats funny..LOL!!!!

• Report Abuse

Posted by AnotherFinch at 08/22/07 17:21:46

My partner and I went vegan together. Now that I am vegan, I would not have a partner who wasn't. It's not so strange to me.

• Report Abuse

Posted by almondeyes at 09/03/07 09:30:37

I've heard of this, but I'll never understand it. What'll be next? I mean, a human is an animal in itself, we're not plants. So being sexually intimate with any living being is having sex with meat, no matter if that meat thrives on plants only or meat and plants. It's illogical to me.....

• Report Abuse

Posted by JohnnySensible at 09/03/07 22:59:05

Yes I am made of meat - but with a degree of consciousness / life force - even this early in the morning.

I think that the Kiwi's vegans find that a relationship with a meat muncher is almost necrophilia.

Only a very few people are emotionally attracted to pieces of raw meat / cooked meat / rotting meat - I can even find no word for such a tendency - perhaps we can call it "carnosexual".

Report Abuse

Posted by mkbehr at 09/14/07 15:04:40

That is hilarious!

My husband is not veg nor will he ever go that way. I'm veg and he's fine with it, and I am fine with the way he is.

• Report Abuse

Posted by pekmez at 09/10/07 12:06:30

Euphoria, who wrote stupied report? And why you dont get emails from this forum?

• Report Abuse

Posted by pekmez at 09/07/07 12:49:15

The problem is - if you don't mind dating meateater than you will see meat everyday in your house. Pairs shares financials, so you are paying for killing of animals. I mind.

• Report Abuse

Posted by Euphoria at 09/09/07 02:58:28

This is ridculous. In that case all herbivore animals should obstain from sex! Meat is dead animal, not living. I am made from flesh and muscle and bones, not meat. Making love to my non-vegan partner does not make me any less vegan. Some people have obviously got nothing better to do with their time than write stupid reports.

• Report Abuse

Posted by VeganChick at 09/09/07 17:40:15

Actually, I am married to an omni, and he never brings meat into the house. He would also NEVER expect me to cook anything non-vegan.

Report Abuse

Posted by Rafael at 11/12/07 23:34:55

Personally I can no longer accept the body odor of even friends who insist on consuming milk & eggs.

Vegans smell great!

Raw vegans smell wonderful!

=============================================
    Meat and body odor

Did you ever suspect meat eaters to smell worse than you? Well, a study supports that assumption. Men went on a "meat" or "non-meat" diet for 2 weeks. They used pads to absorb body odor during the last 24 hours of the diet. The pads were then smelled by women and rated on "pleasantness." Seriously. The non-meat diet resulted in more pleasant smells.

Havlicek J, Lenochova P. The effect of meat consumption on body odor attractiveness. Chem Senses. 2006;31:747-752.
    chemse.oxfordjournals.org/content/vol31/issue8/index.dtl

• Report Abuse

Posted by JohnnySensible at 11/16/07 22:19:56

In the news this week -
    Veganism: It Can Change Sexual Appetites Too
    By: Aly Shea
    Posted: 11/15/07
    Some choose to go vegan for the health benefits, which include a healthier heart and reduced risk of cancer, according to Amy Pumerantz, registered dietician and nutrition coordinator for Student Health Services. Others go vegan out of respect for animals, saying that animals are our friends, not our food.

And now there's one more reason some may choose a vegan lifestyle: the benefits to their sex life.

A recent study of 157 vegans in New Zealand found that a number of vegans, the majority of whom were female, did not want to date or have sex with people who, unlike them, consume meat or animal products.

"I've always dated at least a vegetarian," said Justina LaSalle, a 7th-semester political science major who has been a vegan for seven years. "I try to be open-minded, but if someone's a vegan or vegetarian, they're that much more attractive to me."

And it's not just not eating meat that can make a person seem attractive to a vegan.

"The last guy I dated, the only meat eater I've dated in years, definitely tasted different," LaSalle said. "He was more acidic, like vinegar, and he smelled pretty strong."

Julia Otero, a 7th-semester ecology and evolutionary biology major who was a vegetarian for four years before making the move to vegan just three months ago, discussed a different type of strong odor that meat eaters can produce.

"Vegans don't smell as bad when we fart," she said, theorizing that eating flesh produces a toxic buildup of bacteria and toxins.

And she's not imagining things.

"A greater protein intake and protein supplementing can produce more gas," Pumerantz said. "Particularly those who are supplementing with protein … they notice that they pass more gas more frequently and that it may not smell as 'pleasantly.'"

But dating a carnivore isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Bethany Fischer, an 8th-semester environmental chemistry major who was raised vegetarian and then became a vegan in high school before going back to vegetarianism during her freshman year at UConn, said that she has dated both veggie-philes and meat eaters and would probably date another meat eater, as long as he was open-minded.

"A lot of people think it's dumb and don't understand," she said. "People do have good reasons for doing it … so people should be open-minded enough to find out about veganism before they criticize."

And that open-mindedness extends to all parts of dating, including the sex aspect.

"Dating an omnivore would make for some interesting discussions regarding where to eat," said Chiron Otero, Julia's husband, who was also a vegetarian for four years before becoming a vegan three months ago. "While there are plenty of restaurants that offer vegetarian dishes that can be made vegan, some places I just wouldn't want to eat at simply because the smell of meat is overbearing and nauseating to me now."

While a trip to a steakhouse might be out, Julia Otero was less particular.

"As long as we're not being taken to a research lab or a slaughterhouse, it's 'veg-friendly,'" she said.

Her husband, echoing her thoughts about not wanting to see animals mistreated, said he wouldn't want to go to places such as zoos, aquariums, or circuses, "where animals are objects living in unnatural conditions and often mistreated."

But both added that vegans generally still like the same kinds of dates as other romantic partners - sporting events, movies, concerts, etc.

Neither Otero has ever dated a carnivore, but both said that any relationship takes compromise and an open mind, vegan or not. For instance, calling a vegan lifestyle 'extreme' is not likely to win you any egg-free, soy brownie points.

"I hate that," Julia said. "We're in no way extreme - we're just following our hearts."

Keep HappyCow Growing Strong!

I would like to support