HappyCow is loading...

Community: Forum: Vegetarian Discussion

Vegetarian Discussion - All Things Veg*n Forum

I visited a vegetarian, animal friendly hotel in Costa Rica called Lands in love (www.landsinlove.com)that had the most amazing vegetarian food and that was one of the best food that I had in my whole life, lasagnas, tacos, hamburgers it all tasted like meat and even better, and here is my dilemma... to become vegetarian or not? I love animals but I grew up in a house that served only meat... if only i could eat in great restaurants like Lands in love in Costa Rica but i can't find anything that taste just as good(even thought of moving there :-)... I live in Madrid and not to many tasty vegie options that i know of there... any help will be appreciated.

Responses (9)

• Report Abuse

Posted by vegiedeb at 02/03/08 03:10:16

Maybe you should try experimenting with making your own food. Ask your local library if they have any vegetarian cookbooks, or check out the many vegetarian websites that have plenty of recipes. Unfortunately I don't know of any vegetarian cookbooks containing recipes that mimic the flavour of meat, only because I don't like that myself. Maybe after you have had experience making your own food, you won't even miss the taste of meat. After all, meat dishes would taste pretty bland without the marinades, spices, herbs, etc. All you need to do is add these same flavours to vegetarian dishes! Good luck!

• Report Abuse

Posted by paragonx at 02/04/08 07:54:07

I grew up in a meat and potato type family as well. When i learned about the treatment of the animals, how they live, how they die and what they are robbed of i stopped eating meat. Now i don't even want any of my food to taste like or resemble meat. The small, the texture, the thought of meat repulses me. I feel so much better both physically and mentally by not eating meat. Like vegiedeb said experiment with flavors and spices and your taste buds surely will be satisfied.
    Good luck

• Report Abuse

Posted by kindlizard at 02/04/08 19:05:53

JUST DO IT

If you come to a website asking random strangers for answers, you already know the answer. JUST DO THE RIGHT THING; you know it in your heart.

• Report Abuse

Posted by Tatiana at 02/05/08 14:27:30

A lot of vegetarians started out omnivores when they grew up, a lot of them way into adulthood! I am glad you had a great experience with some awesome vegetarian food! I'm also glad you joined happycow and can connect with a lot of like-minded individuals. I live in an area without a bunch of great veggie options myself (lots within driving distance but no local veggie places) so you have to improvise a lot. You just need to do a bit of research and find what you can eat from what is around you. You can do it!

• Report Abuse

Posted by meigol1981 at 02/11/08 13:22:08

O.k guys, thanks - now how do i begin, books, magazines, web - sites?

Any kind of information can help

• Report Abuse

Posted by Tatiana at 02/11/08 14:08:37

Well you came here, great start! If you are looking for cooking and recipe tips, there is a recipe database here. There's also tons of great veg cookbooks out there, just go to the vegetarian section in the cookbooks at the bookstore. If there is no specific section, I'd suggest using online, such as Amazon.com, bn.com or other bookstore site to find books that interest you. You can also go to mypyramid.gov to help make sure you're getting a balanced veg diet:
    http://www.mypyramid.gov/tips_resources/vegetarian_diets_print.html
    My favorite veggin magizine is VegNews which will also have lots of great info on how to get further info. Also, if you are interested in the ethical and environmental reasons for vegetarianism, there's tons of books on that out there as well. I'm sure lots of other forum members will give you other great references!

• Report Abuse

Posted by nontoxic at 02/11/08 18:31:48

I recently bought the New becoming vegitarian. by Vesanto Melina and Brenda Davis from B&N. lots of good stuff in there . Recipes also. I also just read skinny bitch (GREAT BOOK!)Those books will have the info to get started. Then I would suggest a veg. cook book.
    I have been veg since sept. 2007 I feel great! no nasty bloated feeling, not sluggish anymore. I feel clean and mentaly clear! I even quit coffee! (don't need it)
    meat is for lions and tigers and bears!!
    and they eat it RAW! why do we need to cook it if it is so good for us? why must we clean and disinfect every thing? YUK!
    also remember organic produce is better!!

Good Luck, Yea for you!

• Report Abuse

Posted by Isa at 02/16/08 19:14:25

www.peta2.org

is the best to help u :]

• Report Abuse

Posted by Dena at 02/23/08 18:33:18

Some of my favorite cookbooks are:
    -"Vegan with a Vengeance" by Isa Chandra Moskowitz (this is a great cookbook, with relatively simple easy-to-find ingredients--9 times out of 10 the recipes are delicious)
    -"La Dolce Vegan" by Sarah Kramer (also a great cookbook...she does use some more processed foods such as vegan soy cheese, so if you're able to find those items, this book would be a wonderful place to start also)
    -"Veganomicon" by Isa Chandra Moskowitz and Terry Hope Romero

Also, my favorite website is veganessentials.com. You can order vegetarian/vegan books, food, clothing, etc.

Hope this helps!

You need to be logged in or registered to post.

Your browser is out-of-date!

Update your browser to view this website correctly. Update my browser now