Community: Forum: Vegetarian Discussion

Vegan / Vegetarian Discussion - All Things Veg*n Forum

Hello all,
I am not a vegan or vegetarian. I am here because I am doing a research paper on vegan/vegetarian lifestyles. I am going to post some questions underneath this message and would be very thankful if anyone feels like answering some or all of them. If anyone has questions for me I will gladly answer them asap. You don't have to post your name if you don't want to. Your answers could end up in my report.

1. What caused your decision to become a vegan/vegetarian?
2. Have you ever tried to convince family/friends to become vegan/vegetarian? Why?
3. Is there any "rituals" or things that you find necessary to do due to the fact that you chosen not to use to animal products?
4. If you have not always been a vegan/vegetarian, what do you miss the most from your former lifestyle, if anything?
5. Have you ever encountered any problems finding a certain type of food or medicine because of animal products or testing?
6. (multiple parts to this one) How long have you been a vegan? What major changes, if any, have taken place in your life due to your choice of vegan/vegetarian? Describe any health benefits or bad side effects that this lifestyle has caused?
7. If you have/ are going to have children, will they get to choose their lifestyle or would you try to sway them to become a vegan/ vegetarian?
8. A different question but I am interested. Does anyone practice veganism because of religious beliefs?

Those are tho only ones that I have right now. Please feel free to tell me any stories or just more information that you think is important.

Responses (4)

• Report Abuse

Posted by Tatiana at 10/06/07 16:33:41

1. What caused your decision to become a vegan/vegetarian? - I am currently not vegetarian but I was pescetarian for 2 years, ovolacto vegetarian for a couple years and I was recently vegan for a month. While I have not always been vegetarian, I have always had foods I will not eat due to animal cruelty issues. I choose a lower animal product (and veg when I was) diet for that reason and also some health reasons.
    2. Have you ever tried to convince family/friends to become vegan/vegetarian? Why? I don't try to convince people, I share stories and ideas with people. I find when you try to push people they naturally resist. I actually decided to go vegan for a month as a very good dietitian friend of mine is vegan and I wanted to experience it for myself (and my boyfriend did it with me as well). I want other people to try it out of interest, not out of force.
    3. Is there any "rituals" or things that you find necessary to do due to the fact that you chosen not to use to animal products? Not really, it's just about educated myself about what products I can and cannot use. For example, some brands of semi sweet chocolate are vegan while others contain milkfat. I just have to figure out which are okay. I do a lot of label reading, haha.
    4. If you have not always been a vegan/vegetarian, what do you miss the most from your formar lifestyle, if anything? In the beginning stages of starting a veg diet, I did find myself missing some foods and also it can take a while to get adjusted to where you can buy quick foods that fit into your lifestyle.
    5. Have you ever encountered any problems finding a certain type of food or medicine because of animal products or testing? Yes, once you know about these things you find SO MANY products fall into this category, which is just horribly sad.
    6. (multiple parts to this one) How long have you been a vegan? What major changes, if any, have taken place in your life due to your choice of vegan/vegetarian? Describe any health benefits or bad side effects that this lifestyle has caused? I think I somewhat already answered this above. I have never been a big meat eater anyways, and was raised a lot on Japanese food, so it was honestly never a huge change for me. Health effects also were not an issue since nutrition is my profession, lol.
    7. If you have/ are going to have children, will they get to choose their lifestyle or would you try to sway them to become a
    vegan/ vegetarian? They would eat what I eat and I would be sure they are educated on knowing where their food comes from (which almost no one does these days)so when they are old enough to make their own food choices they can make an educated one.
    8. A dfferent question but I am interested. Does anyone practice veganism because of religious beliefs? A lot of people do. Veganism is common in the Buddhist religion (and there are some great recipes I tell ya, lol). Vegan/vegetarianism is also common amongst 7th day ADventists.

• Report Abuse

Posted by Healthy at 10/08/07 13:53:23

Can I email my answers to you instead of posting them here? (I ask because it will take some time and I can do it from home.)

And if so, what is your deadline?

Report Abuse

Posted by vesalius123 at 10/28/07 07:09:48

1. I have always been around animals and made the decision to stop eating them at ten
    2. No, because I dont think they would
    3.No
    4.I ahev not always been vegetarian but I miss nothing
    5.No I buy most of the things im not sure about at a health food shop
    6.five years.No major changes. No side effects.
    7. I hope to sway my children, but will not force them to do anything. that is a decision they must make for themselves
    8.No. but If you become Vegetarian because of animal rights then Vegetarianism is no longer a diet, It becomes a state of mind

• Report Abuse

Posted by gobblezz at 10/30/07 17:19:38

Thanks for your replies! Sorry I haven't been on. I have alot of hours at school and am quite overwhelmed. Healthy, if you're still following this post let me know I will send you me email address. Sorry for the delay.

Keep HappyCow Growing Strong!

I would like to support