Community: Forum: Vegetarian Discussion

Vegan / Vegetarian Discussion - All Things Veg*n Forum

hey I'm a student at Temple University and for my youth cultures class I am studying the vegan subculture. I am very interested and amazed in how you guys do it! I have a few questions and would very much appreciate it if I could get some replies. Please be as detailed as possible
1. By identifying as vegan, what challenges do you face?(ex. shopping,eating dinner out etc.)
2. What are the factors behind your choice to become a vegan? 3. Do you hope others will follow your example and become vegan?
4. In what ways are vegans changing the mainstream culture?
5. What challenges did you face when you first started to learn and participate in veganism? thank you very much!

Responses (5)

• Report Abuse

Posted by ahimsa32fa at 11/09/15 04:37:58

If you want detailed answers to your questions, I would suggest simply reading a few of the hundreds of books by vegan authors.

Or read the past Forum comments here on HappyCow...

• Report Abuse

Posted by Thalassa4 at 11/12/15 16:46:38

I'm actually a vegetarian transitioning to vegan, but I'll be happy to reply to your questions to the best of my ability.

1) I have it relatively easy because I live in Los Angeles so I'm always about 3-5 miles away from a WhOle Foods, Seeds, or veg friendly restaurant. However I know if I lived in a smaller town, the challenge would be greater...as it is, I have had to learn to avoid companies that participate in blatant animal cruelty, as well as making food choices. Even in L.A, I have had a late night where I wasn't home, and the only thing open near by was 7/11...but I was still able to find hummus, chips, and fruit. I think the struggle is real if a person only has a microwave or hot plate, or is pretty much homeless. I think about all of these things because I live in such an urban environment.

2) I am transitioning to vegan because I hate factory farming, can't raise my own goats, and know vegan is the most environmentally friendly choice I can make with so many other people trashing the earth. I also am excited about learning about the health benefits.

3) Yes, I do. I completely support the UN, in this particular idea, that we should encourage more people to make this choice.

4) I think vegans are changing mainstream culture because of more celebrities being vegan, and also because of vegan restaurant chains and brands...they are drawing attention to very real animal suffering, environmental impact, and vegan chefs in particular are showing people it's easier than ever to be done. I think vegans are even encouraging vegetarians and flexitarians to make more humane choices, to pay attention also how what we eat affects our health.

5) The main challenge I'm facing is in unlearning my own internalized cultural oppression and bad habits. The second one is education about cooking and nutrition, but I'm enjoying that part really.

• Report Abuse

Posted by Elise Burnham at 11/14/15 08:13:12

1. Alternatives to eggs & cheese. Having trouble finding good alternatives where I live. No other problems.

2. Factory farming, animal cruelty.

3. Yes, of course.

4. We're not, yet. Mainstream eats meat. Little by little.

5. Meat eaters hate vegans because they preach. It's not easy to be hated. There's a joke: How do you know if a vegan is a vegan? Don't worry, he'll tell you.

A lot of vegans are obnoxious and hateful towards meat eaters. I don't think that's really the way to sway people. You get more flies with honey, as they say.

• Report Abuse

Posted by Robinwomb at 11/15/15 03:37:24

!. By identifying as vegan, what challenges do you face?

The convenience factor. If I want nutritional yeast or even millet for example I still have to travel a bit to find it, as most grocery stores in my area do not carry it. Or vegan shoes, I have ordered almost all my shoes online to find all vegan shoes. Thankfully in my everyday life I don't really have any troubles with living a vegan lifestyle. Most of my staples are easy to find...dried beans, bulk grains, produce, tomato paste, applesauce etc. I also use natural products like vinegar, lemon juice, washing soda etc for cleaning and hair.

2. What are the factors behind your choice to become a vegan? 3. Do you hope others will follow your example and become vegan?

Helping to solve the problem of world hunger and food sustainability; human and other animal rights; environmental; health; factory farming; myth of "humane" farming. Of course I hope others will follow my example and become vegan! Some members of my own family have become vegan now or are transitioning to at least vegetarian. I have been vegan almost five years now.

Products like almond milk, hummus, coconut oil are becoming household staples. People are becoming increasinly turned off by the animal entertainment industry such as Sea World after documentaries like Blackfish came out. Vegan junk food and processed products are more widely available than they once were, because this is what people like, and in turn it makes omnivores interested in becoming vegan feel easier about it.

5. What challenges did you face when you first started to learn and participate in veganism?

It is still widely misunderstood or even unheard of. People see it as an extreme restriction of food which is so not the case! It challenges the culture that many people grew up in, and their daily habits and beliefs. People don't like to be challenged or told that the way they choose to live is harmful or wrong. Sharing my veganism and what it means with others then has been adapted over the years to be more positive and share the benefits rather than focus on the negative impact that others are causing without knowing it. None of us are perfect, and we all could do better. Veganism is not about my personal purity. It is about standing up for the rights of all sentient beings not to be exploited for entertainment, food, profit, etc. I have challenged myself in this regard and made choices that were even difficult for me as a vegan, such as giving up/phasing out pet birds and refusing to ever again have caged animals as "pets" unless at some point I rescue an animal from abuse. I am more mindful of how I use common terminology. Many swear words and "bad" words are animal names or parts. I try to be mindful not to use them. I am more consciously aware of the deep culture of repression, sexism, racism, speciesism that has permeated my life for years and though I try to overcome this, sometimes my internal thoughts and actions reveal that I have a lot to still overcome.

• Report Abuse

Posted by anahidscv at 11/17/15 15:33:53

I have been vegan for four years now. I am thrilled that more and more options are available and more and more retailers and restaurants are catering to the needs of vegans.

1. By identifying as vegan, what challenges do you face?(ex. shopping,eating dinner out etc.)

I seem to be able to "veganize wherever I go to eat. Although sometimes it is still a challenge, I would have to say.

Yes, I do hope others will follow as an example and become vegan. Veganism needs to grow and expand. Eating animal flesh has to be the thing of the past. Afterall we are all living beings and we are all animals. Eating non human animals sounds to me like cannibalism.

Vegans are the future of this planet, we are step ahead, we will solve a lot of problems on this planet, if more and more people considered and became vegan.

5. What challenges did you face when you first started to learn and participate in veganism?

Reading and watching documentaries on factory farms, animal exploitation in entertainment, labs, zoos, and the use of fur and poaching. It is still a very touchy subject what humans do to animals. We should learn peace and love from animals, as they never are the ones destroying this planet, but we are.

There is never, ever turning back for me. My heaven and paradise is to see the world vegan. Due to me becoming vegan, my health has changed, my energy has changed and my life has changed. You should give it a try.

Keep HappyCow Growing Strong!

I would like to support