Community: Forum: Vegetarian Discussion

Vegan / Vegetarian Discussion - All Things Veg*n Forum

I am a vegetarian; I eat eggs, milk, cheese - but nothing with a face or a mother - no flesh.

My doctor prescribed Omega 3 (Lovaza) for me. I know the over the counter same thing is fish oil, which I refuse to take. I believe Lovaza is some kind of synthetic. I have searched everywhere but I can't seem to get an answer to my question.

Does anybody know if Omega 3 Acid Ethyl Esters is made from actual fish oil???

Thanks.

Julie

Responses (2)

• Report Abuse

Posted by Thalassa4 at 10/10/15 00:28:25

I have no idea, but you can also use flax seeds, purchase a bottle of vegan flaxseed oil (pricey but a big bottle, at least the one I got at the drug store), or eat Earth Balance peanut butter or margarine for other sources of Omega 3

• Report Abuse

Posted by Robinwomb at 10/10/15 03:27:40

Lovaza (or Omega 3 Acid Ethyl Esters) is sourced with fish oil. Here is where I found this info:

www.rxlist.com/lovaza-drug.htm

Are you taking this to lower your triglycerides and cholesterol? I am surprised you eat eggs and dairy which are huge offenders in this regard. Getting those out of your diet would improve your cholesterol and lower your triglycerides. I have been vegan for years and have excellent cholesterol and low triglycerides, but my husband is a mostly vegetarian. He used to consume a LOT of dairy and eggs, and despite being thin, had very high cholesterol and LDL. His doctors told him to cut way back on dairy and limit the number of eggs he was eating. Over the next two years he did just that and has been eating my vegan meals way more. About a month or so ago he had a fasting lipid panel and his cholesterol and LDL went down enormously! It really does make a difference.

For omega 3s, foods such as flax seeds or ground flaxmeal, hemp or chia seeds, walnuts, avocado, tofu and other forms of organic soy like tempeh, miso, and edamame, and lots of leafy greens are all great! I'd stay away from processed oils. Whole fatty plant foods are best.

There are vegan DHA/EPA supplements also available that are sourced from sea vegetables (where fish get their omega 3s). DEVA is a well known brand for vegans and is reasonable as far as cost. They come in 90 so if you needed to order them online it would only be every few months. I used to take those diligently my first few years but have more recently been getting my omega 3s exclusively from plant food.

However, if you have a dangerous medical condition at this point and the med you are being prescribed is necessary right now, don't beat yourself up if you have to take it. It's important to take care of yourself. A life saving prescription drug isn't the same as choosing to boycott the meat industry.

Keep HappyCow Growing Strong!

I would like to support