Community: Forum: Vegetarian Discussion

Vegan / Vegetarian Discussion - All Things Veg*n Forum

I am but 3 weeks into my Vegan diet and it is going mostly well. I get the right amount of everything through my meals and vadidamins. My issue is that as I work an 8 hour shift after school I lose energy quicker than before the change. I think it's a lack of snacks brought with me to work but the issue is that I become weak in resolve when offered food that is to be thrown out if I don't take it. I justified this a couple times but over all I would prefer not to take the foods and be a little stronger in my veganness.

Any Suggestions for:
1) Snacks to bring for energy
2) How to turn down food that will be thrown away
3) Anything you like to say to "new" vegans over and over again

Responses (8)

• Report Abuse

Posted by happycowgirl at 11/13/14 13:22:54

Sounds like you need a high protein snack that will stick with you through the day. I would try a vegan protein bar like this:

http://smile.amazon.com/Simply-Protein-Peanut-Chocolate-1-4-Ounce/dp/B002EY8BAG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1415913589&sr=8-2&keywords=vegan+energy+bars

• Report Abuse

Posted by happycowgirl at 11/13/14 13:27:46

I take it these are non-vegan foods that will be thrown away? Or vegan junk food?

• Report Abuse

Posted by vikkedone at 11/13/14 13:41:29

They are very non-vegan and usually non-vegan junk food. I tried telling myself that it's going into the trash anyway but not exactly conscious clearing. I'd prefer to not accept the food.

• Report Abuse

Posted by happycowgirl at 11/13/14 17:36:03

The bottom line is non-vegan foods are a product of violence. Horrific violence. You can't put that into your body. Think about it ... that food becomes part of your body. The product of violence becomes part of your body. You don't want that physically, spiritually or mentally.

I know many people who, when they first went vegetarian, they would see a piece of bacon or something like that on someone's plate that the person failed to eat. They would eat it because, as they told me, they did not want the animal to have died in vain. I can understand that reasoning. But two wrongs don't make a right. I would tell them, listen, the animal has already been killed. You are a good person and eating that piece of bacon does not save any more animals. But it does harm you.

• Report Abuse

Posted by happycowgirl at 11/13/14 17:39:59

One more thought. Try eating something like oatmeal at the beginning of your shift. It's healthy and it really sticks with you throughout the day. Add bananas, nuts, dried fruit, brown sugar, soy milk. Whatever you like. Or if you're in a hurry, just scarf it down plain. Try it once and see if it makes a difference.

• Report Abuse

Posted by Veginsane at 11/18/14 16:47:07

I worked 24 hour shifts when I first started my plant based diet. I used to run 6.5 miles every morning before shift and needed energy to keep me going for busy shifts. I agree with an earlier post about oatmeal. My post run, beginning of shift meal was plain oatmeal with fresh or frozen berries. With this I also drank a protein shake made with plain, unsweetened whey protein and unsweetened vanilla almond milk. This helped. I would snack on almonds, other nuts, bananas, and edamame throughout the day. Also, rice or nut crackers gave me that full feeling as snacks also. As for throwing food away, maybe it could go to a homeless shelter? Living in the south surrounded by people who eat fried meat with a side of meat covered in meat sauce, I understand being the outsider. Stay strong! Stay veg!

• Report Abuse

Posted by happycowgirl at 11/21/14 15:15:28

Wow, Veginsane, that's some serious fitness. I'm impressed!

• Report Abuse

Posted by Veginsane at 11/21/14 17:19:52

Thanks, happycowgirl! It's just proof that you can still be fit and have energy withOUT meat. I do enjoy some vegan junk food though :)

Keep HappyCow Growing Strong!

I would like to support