Community: Forum: Vegetarian Discussion

Vegan / Vegetarian Discussion - All Things Veg*n Forum

Hi all. I felt compelled to share some of my thoughts in order to hopefully help new veg*s with things that a lot of people choosing this lifestyle struggle with, and also to address some other issues with long timers that I see which may be harmful to our cause in general.

First things first: hang in there! Being veg isn't that hard, and there are many people, myself included, who are living proof that we won't shrivel up and die if we eliminate consuming animal products. There is a wealth of information and support at your fingertips, and every minute you invest researching will only benefit you.

I've only been vegan for almost a month now, but the transition has been much easier than I thought it would. This is probably largely due to the fact that I was a strict vegetarian for 13 years before that, and because I thoroughly researched nutritional concerns beforehand. The best info I think I could give to someone who has recently switched, or is considering it, would be to research vitamins B12, D3, and omega fatty acids, which are the main concerns with switching to this type of lifestyle. And don't be concerned with protein intake, as a well balanced veg diet will provide plenty.

Which brings me to my next point, ignorance. There are many, many people out there who are misled by the animal industry, although with the power of the internet that misinformation is exponentially being challenged. However, in my experience I've learned that there is one truth that will not likely change soon; haters gonna hate. Aside from and in conjunction with the merely misinformed, there are those who are downright hateful towards veg*s. I personally didn't choose this lifestyle to anger people, as I'm sure most of you didn't either, but I seem to have done it.

On the flip side of that coin though, there are many veg*s who are extremist in there beliefs as well, which will only further fuel people's anger. Whether or not you chose this lifestyle to perpetuate compassion, which is personally at the core of my belief system, fighting fire with gasoline is never a good idea. I'm no saint in this area though, as I've battled with anger issues for most of my life and it used to infuriate me because of some peoples judgment about my choices.

However, by grace, I have learned that it's best to just be concerned with the karma that you are accountable for, and let others reap what they sow as well. As the to title of this post states, "kindness rules" and I believe that hatred will never be abolished until enough of it is present in the world. What has helped me the most in dealing with ignorance the most has been becoming informed myself in order to defend my choices, instead of being ignorant myself, which has not always been the case.

Anyway, sorry for the lengthy post, but hopefully my writing skills and breaks in text optimized readability. Thanks for reading this far if you have, and hopefully I've inspired goodness some way or another, which is the ultimate goal. Love to all.

Responses (1)

• Report Abuse

Posted by DCab at 04/20/17 15:21:03

Hi VeganRainbow - I was interested in your post as this is a subject that's near and dear to my heart. All of the people that I love dearly are absolutely not part of the vegan community at all. That being said, I find that one of the most challenging (not insurmountable!) aspects of going plant-based is the social challenges - with friends and family and just in general.

I love your article and agree with your point - kindness rules. If vegans are kind to animals it's my opinion that they should be kind to people as well - even more.

I found your writing to be on point - I wrote a similar article and would love your feedback or anyone else's feedback. It's just on a google doc - the link is below. Please let me know what you think!

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1HkRUm-BfbSKPiIhB-kI5WrjzuL43sEBmOAnUw-csfyY/edit?usp=sharing

Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts on this topic - they are much appreciated!

Keep HappyCow Growing Strong!

I would like to support