Community: Forum: Vegetarian Discussion

Vegan / Vegetarian Discussion - All Things Veg*n Forum

Whey is the waste product of cheese making, but did you know that because most commercial cheeses are made with animal rennet (usually for newborn calf stomachs), that the whey from these cheeses also has animal stomach? In fact, whey has MUCH more animal stomach than the cheese, because the enzymes in the stomach that make the cheese curdle go out into the cheese, while most of the stomach stays behind in the whey. In fact, I believe that most of the protein in "Whey Protein" actually comes from the animal stomach, because when the cheese curdles, it is the protein in the milk that does the curdling, which should render the whey deficient in protein overall, and it is only the animal stomach which gives whey the vast majority of it's protein content! If you consume a product that lists "whey" or "whey solids" as one of it's ingredients, then the product simply isn't suitable for true vegetarians. If they said that the whey was "Kosher whey" or "vegetarian whey" then of course I would assume that the product is vegetarian-suitable. Gosh I'm glad that I'm a dedicated vegan so I don't have to worry about these things!

Responses (5)

• Report Abuse

Posted by savetheanimals at 02/26/13 17:10:55

The only ethical lifestyle is a vegan one. Vegetarianism can be used as a steppingstone but that is as good as it gets. Most people don't know all the facts. They may not know what veganism is. If vegetarianism is what they think is the most ethical choice then (I would encourage them to go vegan by going to www.adaptt.org/videos.html ) they probably don't know all the facts. Cheese or whey made with animal stomach isn't vegetarian, just like honey isn't vegan. I think most vegetarians don't think about what happens to there dairy products. I also think most vegetarians don't read labels unlike vegans. Any vegan can tell you the surprising things they didn't think had animal products in it but did. They just don't directly eat meat. Another problem is some vegetarians think eating fish is vegetarian. I don't consider those people vegetarian.

• Report Abuse

Posted by happycowgirl at 03/02/13 08:28:44

Thanks for the information about whey. As an aside, I'm a Starbucks addict and was so disappointed to see the protein they put in their smoothies is whey protein. Fair warning to my fellow SB fans.

• Report Abuse

Posted by ahimsa32fa at 03/25/13 08:09:30

I personally put an asterisk to the statement that the only "ethical" diet is vegan. Many in today's world live in places and conditions that make vegan diet difficult if not practical or even possible...people of the far north, people in war zones, and people experiencing natural disasters.

Regarding the dairy, may I suggest a peek at my first book, "The Weaning of America: The Case Against Dairy Products...and twelve other essays on Ethics, Animals and Planetary Survival".

Report Abuse

Posted by Taylor Hill at 05/16/13 20:24:34

I believe Fish and Dairy is okay. I am Vegetarian and I eat those things. Fish Don't go to Factory farms and Dairy while it isn't the best it isn't meat. If you could go Vegan go for it. My brother is Vegan and healthy as ever. I myself don't like how strict that diet is. However I have thought about trying it. I personally am an animal rights person and am against factory farming so besides fish I don't eat meat. Even with Fish I am still picky. I wont eat shell fish or anything Exotic like squid. I eat Catfish or Bass. Just everyday basic fish like that. To sum it up. Whey is fine with me. It is all about personal choice. No not vegan. Yes Vegetarian. Hope you figure out what works for you. =)

• Report Abuse

Posted by ahimsa32fa at 06/20/13 06:20:58

Taylor-
    I ate a lot of fish and dairy products as a young man. Until I realized there was no need to. I also learned that fish and cows have a life and a life experience as do all animals, including humans.

Fish are actually raised on fish farms nowadays, but dying is dying whether in a slaughterhouse or a gill net. Virtually all dairy cows end up at the slaughterhouse when their production drops below the profit margin.

Of course your reason for being a vegetarian may be only because you've read that meat is not particularly healthy to eat. Well, fish are "meat" too, despite the fish industries successful effort to separate "meat and fish" in the minds of consumers.

My initial reason for becoming a vegetarian in 1975 was selfish - my personal health. Nothing wrong with that. But I soon realized that what's really important is the effect that my diet choices have on other sentient beings.

Reading voraciously about ethical issues led me to become a vegan in 1985. There is an incredible amount of suffering in today's world. But most of us don't recognize that most of this suffering is experienced by non-human animals at the hands of thoughtless humans. So by reading, writing and speaking out, I try to do what I can to alleviate that suffering.

Humans have little need to exploit the other animals in the horrible ways that we do, thanks to our arrogant illusion of superiority. The ultimate "racism" is "human racism" the belief that one species is superior to all others and that gives us the "right" to imprison, torture, kill and eat any and all others.

Keep HappyCow Growing Strong!

I would like to support