HappyCow is loading...

Community: Forum: Vegetarian Discussion

Vegan / Vegetarian Discussion - All Things Veg*n Forum

...to the vegetarian world. i've been reading a lot about "whole/balanced living" for the past year. in the past two weeks i've been thinking about switching over to vegetarianism...well the other day when i was out eating with a coworker, i finally came to the realization that it's time for me to start learning. i'm open to any advice you guys can dish. i appreciate it all in advance. thank you.

Responses (8)

• Report Abuse

Posted by 10hcaro at 05/24/10 04:03:09

I'm also a newbie to the Vegetarian world. I have been vegetarian before, but I was pressured by everyone around me to go back to meat for my 'health'. Don't make my mistake! You'll get a lot of people who question your dietary choices and try to convince you that it's not the right/healthy/natural way of living. However, as long as you eat a wide range of vegetables, fruits, grains, legumes and, if you choose, dairy, you'll probably fulfill your nutritional requirements better than before! If you feel you want to do better, go the extra yard and make the transition to veganism (like I'm trying to). But either way, you're still making a difference. Just check with the doctor and make sure you haven't got any deficiencies that need addressing beforehand.

• Report Abuse

Posted by lmzeigler at 05/24/10 21:04:36

Congrats on your decision! I've been vegan for about 1.5 years (I was vegetarian for about 15 years before that) and it is a WONDERFUL way to live! I think the best thing to do at first is just immerse yourself in information. My favorite resource is a podcast called Vegetarian Food for Thought, done by Colleen Patrick-Goudreau of Compassionate Cooks. I've listened to every episode and have learned so much! Some great books to check out are Healthy at 100, Diet for a New America, Eating Animals, Skinny Bitch...there are so many great ones out there now!

Like the previous poster said, people WILL harass you about your decision. It just goes with the territory. People assume you are an expert in nutrition, human evolution, gourmet cooking, medicine...all kinds of things when you tell them you are vegan, and they will challenge your decision. That's why I think gathering information is so key, because it will help you respond to these challenges in positive ways.

And if you're ever in need of a boost, visit a farm animal sanctuary and give a cow a big smooch!

• Report Abuse

Posted by Peace ... at 05/26/10 19:47:15

Great :) Welcome to the Vegetarian World ... Yes, you are on the right path by willing to make a small step ...

You are having a new lifestyle and be prepare that not all will understand this.

Don't be alarm that you hear or face difficult situation or questions or people, just that they have not and cannot see your point yet. So relax and open, you will enjoy the whole process of being a vegetarian.

Great job :) Need help, just ask ... :D

• Report Abuse

Posted by fairygirl25 at 06/15/10 18:39:43

Hi im also new to vegetarianism.I am not eating any meat and need some good ideas form breakfast lunch and dinner. thanks

• Report Abuse

Posted by Peace ... at 06/16/10 20:43:16

Welcome fairygirl25 ...

As a asian, my breakfast, lunch and dinner will be very different. More towards rice (go for brown rice for healhtier choice), noodles, herbal soups, steam/stir-fry veggies, Tofu, Mushroom, curry, Seaweed/nori, sweet soup dessert (red bean, green bean, barley, yam/pumpkin, sweet potatoes).

• Report Abuse

Posted by fairygirl25 at 06/17/10 17:19:59

Thanks for the advice i will be trying some of those things soon and will let you know what i think of them. I tried hummas and love it.

• Report Abuse

Posted by AndyT at 07/01/10 06:16:20

Congratulations!!!

One more thing ... I realized when I went veg 20 years ago that the first month is the hardest - once I was over that I didn't look back to eating meat again.

What helped me - whenever the craving for a burger or so came up in the first month - was to remember a documentary I had seen on the TV very graphically depicting the way from the cow to the steak (e.g. 'earthlings'). That was usually all I needed to make the decision 'well, I'll settle for a cheese sandwich then'.

Also, read Jonathan Safran Foer's great book 'Eating animals'. That prompted me to go from vegetarian to vegan some months ago.

Best regards,
    Andy

• Report Abuse

Posted by fairygirl25 at 07/08/10 13:16:54

Hi Im doing great with my vegetarianism When i see someone eating meat i also think that they are eating cow,pig or what ever. Im happy with a cheese sandwich too.

You need to be logged in or registered to post.

Your browser is out-of-date!

Update your browser to view this website correctly. Update my browser now