Community: Forum: Vegetarian Discussion

Vegan / Vegetarian Discussion - All Things Veg*n Forum

Im loosing so much hair! I have just 15 days since I went vegan, is this normal? I dont want to go back please explain it to me

Responses (12)

• Report Abuse

Posted by AndyT at 03/20/13 23:10:22

Isela,

believe me, there is no "magic ingredient" in animal products that keeps your hair attached to your head, and makes them fall out immediately if you stop to have it for 2 weeks!

I can not explain why you are losing more hair than "normally", but generally any changes from a major dietary change need a long time (e.g. 3-6 months) to really materialize.

I think (mind you, I am not an expert) that is possible that your body is "de-toxing" (getting rid of all the junk accumulated in your body) and that this also has some input on the amount of hair you are losing right now. But be aware that losing hair is a natural process (all the time we grow new hair and lose some of the old), and I have not heard of any documented cases of bald vegans (well, I myself will be there at one point in time, so I might actually be a case of that, but my hairline started to recede 25 years before I went vegan, so I can not blame it on the diet)

Best regards,
    Andy

• Report Abuse

Posted by happycowgirl at 03/21/13 14:55:24

hi Isela,
    Sorry to hear about your hair falling out, but rest assured, going vegan has nothing to do with it. There are lots of reasons why women lose their hair, keep reading and see if any of this applies to you:

Although it's not common, there are two dietary reasons that can cause hair loss - taking too much vitamin A or not getting enough iron. If I were you, I'd take a multi-vitamin that has iron in it just to be sure you're covered.

Keep in mind that most people lose anywhere from 50 to 100 strands of hair each day. On the days when hair is washed, people can lose up to 250 strands. But don’t avoid washing in an attempt to keep the hair, as it will fall out eventually anyway.

Do your mothers, aunts or grandmothers have thinning hair? The most common kind of hair loss in women is "female pattern hair loss". It effects 50% of us and is hereditary. Nothing you can do about that.

There are a wide range of medical conditions that can bring on hair loss like pregnancy, thyroid disorders, autoimmune diseases, polycystic ovary syndrome, and skin conditions such as psoriasis and seborrheic dermatitis.

Other reasons for hair loss include extreme stress, physical trauma like surgery or intense illness, or dramatic weight loss over a short period of time. And hair loss can occur a couple of weeks to six months after any of these experiences.

In short, if the hair loss is really bothering you, I'd go to the doctor and get a blood test. A simple blood test can check your iron and vitamin A levels and also check your thyroid. If those tests come back normal, I wouldn't worry about it.

Check out this article if you'd like more info: http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/hair-loss/features/women-hair-loss-causes

• Report Abuse

Posted by glendeek at 03/24/13 08:19:00

I had the same thing last year when I went vegan. I went back to the SAD diet. This year, I added B12 shots 2x a week and it did not happen this time. I went vegan 1/6 of this year and it is all good, so far. like: www.trimnutrition.com/vitamin-injections/methylcobalamin-10-000-mcg-kit.html?mw_aref=42db63904bb0f938d6bad08139c66a20

• Report Abuse

Posted by skinvogue.com at 04/01/13 00:56:19

I think being Vegan is nothing to do with hair fall

• Report Abuse

Posted by Cascadian at 04/01/13 09:32:15

Me too!!!

It has taken a little bit longer for me though. I went vegan about 21 years ago and honestly have never stressed that much about all of the details of diet. Now that I am in my mid-30's I have started to notice a slight thinning of the hair on my head! I'm also starting to get a few grey hairs!! Worse still I seem to be gaining more body hair each year since puberty!

Perhaps worst of all, my metabolism seems to be slowing down some and my weight of 195 pounds (I'm about 5'11) doesn't appear to all be lean muscle like the guys on those magazines in the check-out line at the store....

All of this seems to get worse each decade that I am vegan! Please help!!

Oh! Happily my kids have not yet developed any of these symptoms yet despite having been vegan all of their lives and now entering their teens.

BUT!! Please help me look like I did when I was a teenage vegan again! But actually a bit heavier than I was then - something like Brad Pitt in Fight Club would be nice! But I still wanna eat lots of sweets & processed foods & not work out much...

Please help!!

• Report Abuse

Posted by SeekerOfTheWay at 04/01/13 14:30:49

Some vegan B12 tabs. This helped with my hair turning white!

• Report Abuse

Posted by knightofalbion at 04/07/13 05:32:08

I suspect the problem is down to you not getting enough complete protein and zinc.
    I would pay special attention to protein combining.
    i.e. beans and wholemeal bread, beans and brown rice etc. etc.
    Taking a quality multivitamin is a good idea too.
    Pure ocean kelp is something I'd recommend to everyone. It contains all manner of trace minerals. Good for healthy hair and general health.

• Report Abuse

Posted by knightofalbion at 04/07/13 05:34:17

Re hair turning grey: Good very likely be copper deficiency...

• Report Abuse

Posted by beastodon at 04/07/13 05:49:51

It is not normal at all, b vitamin deficiency is the only reason I can think of, that you have not been intaking any b-vitamins and you have no idea what healthy eating is in general, people don't just lose their hair HAHA! Learn what proper nutrition is before you go vegan for godsakes...

Report Abuse

Posted by Taylor Hill at 05/16/13 20:30:03

Well no. It has nothing to do with being Vegan. Maybe it is stress or something else like a new type of shampoo you're using. I has that happen when I used a new shower wash it messed me up. Also dying your hair a lot will do that as well ( Not sure if you dye or color your hair) Anyway you might want to talk to a nutritionist about it. I would look up Vegan nutritionist and see what pulls up in Google. Best of luck hun.

• Report Abuse

Posted by Andy.R at 11/25/14 22:54:48

I heard from many and now this is puzzle for me is this really affect opposite on the hair or skin on the people who turns into vegan. Personally I won't think this could cause hair problem or falling problem for vegan people. The problem should be persist only if your body don't get enough food or nutritional diet which you required. Eating more of the fatty and protein filled nuts will help with these reasons and can help to fight hair loss.
    My friend (John) also experienced the same problem but he faced this hair loss problem after he turns into vegan he went to experts and after examine doctor suggest he has deficiency of Vitamin D. After he had start to rake Vitamin D supplement the problem went away.
    www.akclinics.com/hair-loss/

• Report Abuse

Posted by veggoodness at 11/26/14 08:13:37

Here is the best article on vegan hair loss that I know about: veganhealth.org/articles/hairloss

In general, I recommend the article author, Jack Norris, RD, for all questions related to vegan diet and nutrition. He's a long-time vegan and a vegan activist (one of the founders of Vegan Outreach, the organization that hands out booklets at colleges and concerts). He wants us vegans to have the best nutritional information so we can stay vegan and stay healthy. He stays current on the research and writes up the findings for us. jacknorrisrd.com/

Keep HappyCow Growing Strong!

I would like to support