Community: Forum: Vegetarian Discussion

Vegan / Vegetarian Discussion - All Things Veg*n Forum

I thought it would be fun to have a favorite food of the day thread. You can post here what food you've been drooling over or just loved noshing on today! It can be a recipe item (such as soup, cake, etc) or it can be a single item (durian, carrots, etc). What do you love today?

Today I've been loving water chestnuts. I love the light crisp snap and contrast they provide to salads and other dishes. Yum yum! One of these days I swear I'm gonna get some fresh ones, I'm sure I've only experienced the tip of the iceberg by having canned ones.

Responses (56)

• Report Abuse

Posted by treehugger at 01/19/08 09:54:50

Today I are mostly eatin' Pumpkin Soup.
    A real winter warmer and very satisfying.

• Report Abuse

Posted by Tatiana at 01/19/08 18:17:54

Today I'm loving....beans and rice! I had a killer burrito for lunch with beans, rice, pico de gallo, and guacamole! Yum!!

• Report Abuse

Posted by AlmostVeggie at 01/19/08 21:07:33

I had a Morningstar brand corn dog today. Yumm-o!

• Report Abuse

Posted by JohnnySensible at 01/19/08 21:38:49

Fresh Parsnips - I crave them - in S.E. Asia I can find Brussel Sprouts - I can find English Peas - I cannot find any fresh Parsnips.

I have begged friends in the UK to mail some to me - but no-one takes me seriously.

I can find no online sellers of fresh Parsnips.

It has been my very good luck recently that eBay sometimes had a listing of some old "Worzel Gummidge" videos - I bought them & now I can look at / meditate on Parsnips.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parsnip

• Report Abuse

Posted by Aardy at 01/20/08 00:48:23

I understand your craving totally johnnysensible. I live in The Netherlands and it is also almost impossible to get fresh parsnips here, the easiest thing in the world to raise if you have the space. Buy some seeds, like a bucket full, and get a local farmer to raise them for you or plant them in your own bit of earth. They are dead easy to grow, I promise you; I've done it. Ummmm Yummmmm. Roasted parsnips with olive oil, parsnip soup, parsnips and fennel in cream sauce. I know!

• Report Abuse

Posted by Tatiana at 01/20/08 05:29:23

Yum, I love parsnips, too! I wanted to make them smashed with leeks this week but my organic delivery was out of parsnips but oh well I will make leek potato soup instead. Next time I eat parsnips I will think of you guys! If I see any seeds or anything I'll let you know.

I just had the most killer vegan peach cobbler from Whole Foods. yum yum yum yum

• Report Abuse

Posted by SoccerMom at 01/20/08 12:03:06

Creamy Tomato soup with asiago cheese croutons!! From Panera Bread!! Yummm

Report Abuse

Posted by auungbong at 01/20/08 13:36:00

Irish Oatmeal with soymilk, flax seeds, raisans, granola and some brown sugar with blueberries. Yummmm.

• Report Abuse

Posted by paragonx at 01/21/08 10:05:55

I love love love raw organic sunflower seeds.

-Ann

• Report Abuse

Posted by Tatiana at 01/21/08 14:17:21

Avocado. I had the creamiest avocado I've had in a long time last night (it was also with these yummy "chicken" vegan taquitos, mache, and jalapenos). I think I might just go home and eat the rest of that avocado tonight...and I'm not buying the peach cobbler anymore, it's too addicting! It's so delicious I keep eating it!

• Report Abuse

Posted by AlmostVeggie at 01/21/08 16:34:22

I had the juciest grapefruit this morning. And to think I used to highly detest them.

Report Abuse

Posted by auungbong at 01/21/08 17:34:53

I am now addicting to every cereal out there that has NO added sugar, can make your teeth break and your jaw hurt.

anything with flax, oats, almonds, nuts. oh man oh man oh man. Who likes the unsweetened soy milk better than the regular plain version? Maybe im going through a no sugar phase ahhhhh.

• Report Abuse

Posted by Tatiana at 01/22/08 12:29:50

Baba ghanoush! Had an awesome open faced sandwich last night on this really heavy bread with sprouted seeds on top, spreaded with baba ghanoush and covered with sliced avocado (no I didn't eat the whole other half, haha, only about 1/3 of the half). Delicious!

• Report Abuse

Posted by JohnnySensible at 01/22/08 21:51:30

ardy / tatiana -
    Parsnips - by choice I stay in the sub-tropics - until we have more "climate change" I will have to walk north, deep into China, to grow them.

Parsnips need frost - there was a frost in Hong Kong back in 1893 - http://sunzi1.lib.hku.hk/hkjo/view/27/2700131.pdf

tatiana - you are great - which 1/3 did you eat? - I always like the middle 1/3 the best - less crust!
    A sanitized "observation" -
    Recently, when I went to (censored) I saw on the menu that you could have an order of 6, 9 or 12 (censored). I asked for a half dozen (censored).
    "We don't have half dozen (censored)", said the teenager at the counter.
    "You don't?" I replied.
    "We only have six, nine, or twelve," was the reply.
    "So I can't order a half-dozen (censored), but I can order six?
    "That's right."
    So I shook my head and ordered six (censored).

• Report Abuse

Posted by Tatiana at 01/22/08 22:38:57

Oh duh, of course they need frost. Well darn, guess growing them it out for now. I'll think of you whenever I eat them!

Johnny - I've been eating the avocado a little at a time, I think it will be gone tomorrow, haha. Just working my way around the fruit, keeping the pit with the leftovers to keep it fresher. So I guess I ate the left 1/3...or was it the right 1/3? lol

half a dozen....that's one less than 7!

• Report Abuse

Posted by Aardy at 01/23/08 00:26:30

Oh poor Johnny, no frost, no parsnips. I will look for some dehydrated parsnip flakes and mail them to you! As for favorite food of the day it is Red Lentil Soup; awesome recipe found in The Veg..Times CookBk ... 4 cps veg broth,(or water in a pinch) 1 cp red lentils, 1 inch fresh ginger, 3 cloves garlic, 2 onions, 1 bay leaf, 1/2 t. red pepper, 3 carrots,1 T. hot curry powder, 1/2 cp fresh cilantro to cook,more to sprinkle, 2 cups coconut milk,(non-sweet, preservative free kind), cook all 20 minutes and blend all in blender til smooth. The best. I triple recipe and freeze portions.

• Report Abuse

Posted by Tatiana at 01/23/08 01:38:49

That sounds super yummy!

• Report Abuse

Posted by Tatiana at 01/24/08 02:40:56

Today my favorite was kiwis. I got my organic delivery and I think we ate all the kiwis before we even got the produce put away! Yum!

• Report Abuse

Posted by brokenribbon at 02/01/08 21:49:28

Guacamole is the best food ever. I used to hate it but after I spent some time in Mexico, I am in love with it. I've converted some people to guacism too. :)

• Report Abuse

Posted by sussexbunny at 02/02/08 06:46:34

Just eaten a large buckwheat pancake with honey and lemon for breakfast.
    Its Shrove Tuesday (pancake day ) here in the UK on the 5th and i seem to be starting early!
    Bunny

• Report Abuse

Posted by flip at 02/02/08 19:12:12

Acai bowls are the best!!!! I just had a rio bowl I made with papaya, organic fruit and nut granola, pumpkin seeds, banana, and of course, acai sorbet - I LOVE these things and acai is full of Omega 3 fatty acids, which we veggies need in our diets AND the acai berry comes from the rainforest so they promote the growth and protection of the rainforest!! yay! yummy!

• Report Abuse

Posted by Tatiana at 02/02/08 21:55:25

Today I had an awesome sandwich made with lots of marinated vegetables and the little button mushrooms were so good!

• Report Abuse

Posted by SanVeg at 02/03/08 14:44:43

Almond milk is my newest discovery! I absolutely LOOOOVE it!

• Report Abuse

Posted by Tatiana at 02/07/08 12:07:51

Futomaki sushi, yum! It is a vegetable roll (can sometimes be nonvegetarian so always ask if you order!) with a variety of veggies like spinach and pickled daikon! I went to a Japanese restaurant and got the vegetarian bento box, yummy yummy! It also had some really good veggie gyoza (potstickers).

• Report Abuse

Posted by Tatiana at 02/08/08 14:15:56

I got some awesome organic Caracara oranges this week. They look like a regular naval orange on the outside, but the inside is pink like a grapefruit! They are super sweet and sooo delicious!

Report Abuse

Posted by Celeste1 at 02/08/08 20:35:06

Today I'm enjoying the leftovers from Chinese New Year - a fantastic Buddha's Delight: water chestnuts, bamboo shoots, fried tofu, green onions, dried shiitake mushrooms, carrot slivers. I'm eating this with brown rice.

• Report Abuse

Posted by little pea at 02/09/08 02:49:08

Today I ate the most amazing Mexican vegan foods!! The most mouthwatering quesadillas, soy chicken mole, and soy chorizo and a tofu scramble! And not to mention, brown rice and black beans :)

If you're in the LA area, you should check it out, the restaurant is called "Cinnamon" and it's in Highland Park. Some of the best veggie foods I've had in awhile!

• Report Abuse

Posted by Alexandra Morrison at 02/11/08 10:26:25

I am majorly digging the pumpkin pancakes I made yesterday. RAD, especially the day after theyve been stored in the fridge, and theyre all stretchy and flappy.. and Im in Quebec, so with maple syrup and cinnamon, Im going to faint.
    Oh, and Ive discovered Stevia. Wow. So much better than getting a sugar high, and then crashing, halfway through the day from a sugary breakfast!

• Report Abuse

Posted by Tatiana at 02/12/08 13:45:25

Alexandra, that is making me drool, they sound so good!

Last night I made up some roasted beets, red and golden, yum! Tonight I'm making stirfry napa cabbage and tofu.

• Report Abuse

Posted by crutalley at 02/12/08 23:47:06

Blackened Mushroom Tofu Burger! With Salsa and Guacamole.

• Report Abuse

Posted by Tatiana at 02/18/08 15:32:23

I still feel all vomity from the USDA beef recall article, but I did have some excellent soup last night, Amy's No Chicken Noodle soup. The tofu in it was scrumptious!

• Report Abuse

Posted by tater_tot at 02/18/08 22:11:23

I was in heaven yesterday: I enjoyed a beer-battered tofu burger (from a local veg*n coffee house) -- crisped to perfection -- dipped in Amy's organic BBQ sauce, topped with sprouts, veganaise, lettuce and tomato... yum!

• Report Abuse

Posted by treehugger at 02/21/08 06:34:30

brokenribbon I'm with you the Guacamole!!
    I'm addicted to the stuff (home made of course)it is simply divine.
    At the moment I've got it bad for Hummus and Wholewheat pitta bread.
    Drooooooooooool!

• Report Abuse

Posted by Blue-eyed_Vegan at 02/22/08 15:01:14

Latley I'v been craving this Asian dish that I invented. The other day my parents came home from food shopping and they showed me this Asian salad dressing. It had ginger, soy sauce, sesame oil and orange marmalade. It smaelled and tasted like when you go into a chinese resturant and there is that smell that is soooo good and it makes your mouth water? Well that's what it tasted like! I didn't like it on my salad so I cubed some tofu and stir fried it with the dressing for 25 mins till a skin formed. All this time I had basmati rice cooking. When both were done I mixed them together....adding alittle more dressing =)...and voila! I had a delicious chinese food dish....that I'v been craving ever since!

• Report Abuse

Posted by teri velardi at 02/23/08 21:15:08

tofu anything.....seitan anything...vegan chocolate walnut muffins that I make,,,,oh my gosh I'm always ready to eat any vegan food.....that Asian tofu dish that Blue Eyed Vegan made was delicious too!

• Report Abuse

Posted by Tatiana at 02/26/08 23:05:36

First time trying Amy's Mexican Tamale Pie and is was SO good. Yummy yummy yummy!

• Report Abuse

Posted by whole1 at 02/29/08 15:34:30

One of my favorite meals is lentils, brown rice with mushrooms, onions and fresh spinach or collard greens. Throw this all together in a pressure cooker for 20 minutes and when done, add fresh garlic, sea salt and pepper. Sometimes I eat this alone or make fresh whole grain tortillas and add the brown rice mixture with fresh tomatoes, romaine lettuce, veggie cheese and yogurt for an awesome and filling meal. I own an organic bakery here in Starke, Fl. so we are always playing with recipes to make highly nutritious meals. I also make \"pizza bread\" from our freshly milled tomato basil bread. Take slices of bread, spread some great organic pizza sauce and veggie cheese (mushrooms and onions are yummy too)and toast in a hot oven for 10 minutes. Our bread is so high-fiber because of the fresh milling of the grain and because we add freshly milled flaxseeds to everything we make, so one or two pieces will really fill you up and satisfy that pizza craving.

• Report Abuse

Posted by Tatiana at 02/29/08 16:11:55

whole1, that bread sounds SO good!!

• Report Abuse

Posted by whole1 at 03/01/08 13:04:49

It is good, Tatiana and so nutritious. Take a look at our website when you can. It is still a work in progress as we had our computer knocked out by lightning at the bakery recently(even with a surge protector!!) and are just now reconstructing everything. www.wholeearthgranary.com

• Report Abuse

Posted by Tatiana at 03/01/08 22:59:42

I checked the site out, the breads look delicious! I know it is still under construction, but I'll ask, do you ship or sell anywhere on the west coast? I know you are in FL, and I'm in CA.

And my food of the day is....an! Japanese red bean paste, yum yum yum!

• Report Abuse

Posted by whole1 at 03/03/08 10:48:55

Tatiana, we do ship. Any order over $50 gets free shipping for the first time. After that, orders must be $100 to get the free shipping. Everything is sent overnight or second day air only to insure freshness. Once you receive your products, we only recommend them on the counter for 3-5 days because there are no preservatives. Refrigerate or better yet freeze and use for up to 3 months. Once thawed they taste as fresh as the day we baked. If you like Japanese bean paste, you might like our recipe for 5 minute,easy,HEALTHY refried beans. Let me know and I will type it out here. It is yummy!

• Report Abuse

Posted by plabill at 03/03/08 14:53:11

My favorite thing lately is tomato/banana salad. It sounds weird but it's awesome. Dice tomatoes and slice bananas and mix them up. Dressing is Olive oil, balsamic vinegar, cane sugar, lime juice, and fresh ground pepper. Add it to your fruits, chill it out in the fridge for a few minutes and eat away. mmmmmm...

• Report Abuse

Posted by Tatiana at 03/03/08 16:36:45

whole1 - cool, my mom can't have gluten and some of your gluten free products look amazing! I'll have her check it out (then I can sneak goodies for me in there as well). That recipe sounds awesome, I'd love to see it!

plabill - That does sound weird! I bet it's great, though!

I've still been on my kiwi and mango kick and the organic prices have been good, so I keep getting them! I'm also on an artichoke kick, it's one of my fave veggies and it's coming into season!

• Report Abuse

Posted by Tatiana at 03/03/08 16:44:09

whole1 - cool, my mom can't have gluten and some of your gluten free products look amazing! I'll have her check it out (then I can sneak goodies for me in there as well). Oh, just so you know, if you use honey in your breads, this may be interesting to you. A lot of people who use honey still consider themselves vegans but I think strictly speaking, a lot of vegans consider honey an animal product.

Check out the info here:
    "Is honey vegan? Again, it depends on one's definition of vegan. Insects are animals, and so insect products, such as honey and silk, are not traditionally considered vegan. Many vegans, however, are not opposed to using insect products, because they do not believe insects are conscious of pain. Moreover, even if insects were conscious of pain, it's not clear that the production of honey involves any more pain for insects than the production of most vegetables, since the harvesting and transportation of all vegetables involves many 'collateral' insect deaths.The question remains a matter of scientific debate and personal choice. However, when cooking or labeling food for vegans —particularly vegans you don't know— it's best to be on the safe side and not include honey."
    That is from vegan.org

I think your stuff looks super awesome, I'm just trying to help out on the marketing side (I run businesses as well so I know how it can be :oP)Oh, and that recipe sounds awesome! I'd love to see it!

plabill - That does sound weird! I bet it's great, though!

I've still been on my kiwi and mango kick and the organic prices have been good, so I keep getting them! I'm also on an artichoke kick, it's one of my fave veggies and it's coming into season!

• Report Abuse

Posted by Tatiana at 03/03/08 16:50:43

Well I guess my edit took too long, it just left the old one and added a new one, lol. So sorry, disregard the first post. The second post has evrything in it.

• Report Abuse

Posted by whole1 at 03/03/08 17:48:23

Posted by whole1 on: Monday, March 03, 2008 at 05:39 PM EST

Beegans!
    Thanks so much for your message. Over the last four years I have actually only met two vegans who did not use honey. Since I have moved down to Florida, I just got a message from another one who was concerned about honey. As to raw local honey. Is there any other that is actually GOOD?! LOL. I teach classes here all the time at the bakery and have done extensive research for my cookbook. What I know is this. Almost 98% of what calls itself honey on the grocery store shelves is imported from China. First question? What do Chinese bees have to do with us in America?! Secondly, The honey has definately been cooked or "pasteurized" and in many cases it is cut with rice syrup or that good old handy killer, high fructose corn syrup. So when I teach my classes I try to stress the importance of always using raw, local honey for sweetening and cooking, except in the case where Sucanat, agave nectar and stevia can be substituted. Ayurvedic (hope I am spelling that right) monks believed that cooked honey was POISIN. I concur. Raw honey has the antiseptic benefits built in and when it is local, it can be used to build up a resistance to any pollens floating around in you local area. But for those vegans who are opposed to using honey, we can substitute agave nectar in the baking. More than one loaf at a time has to be bought in that case however, as the smallest batch we make is 6 loaves of bread. Good talking with you again

• Report Abuse

Posted by whole1 at 03/03/08 17:52:56

Tatiana, I will post the recipe for refried beans as soon as possible. Got to go find it again! I love it because my kids love mexican food and it is my way of making sure the refried beans don't include a list as long as my arm of other ingredients! As far as gluten-free is concerned we use, millet, flaxseeds and beans in our cokkies, muffins, etc. making sure they are gluten-free and not nutrition-free as is so much that parades as gluten-free these days.

• Report Abuse

Posted by Tatiana at 03/04/08 17:52:51

My favorite food(s) today are: vegan apple crumble, I should never buy it again, it's too delicious! I also made an awesome veggie soup/stew last night with carrots, onions, celery, vegetable broth, bay leaves, beet greens, pinto beans, potatoes, and right at the end, a little bit of field roast. Yummy yummy yum!

• Report Abuse

Posted by treehugger at 03/08/08 14:20:04

This week I are mostly eating SEMOLINA!!!!!!

IT ROCKS!!!!

• Report Abuse

Posted by Tatiana at 03/10/08 16:52:56

black bean verde tamale, topped with some fresh avocado and cilantro, yum!

• Report Abuse

Posted by Tatiana at 03/27/08 18:43:28

garbanzo beans and quinoa, yum!

and mache, yum!

• Report Abuse

Posted by gr8vegan at 03/28/08 00:09:08

Speaking of Quinoa I hit the Inca Red Quinoa JACK POT tonight. I cooked my Quinoa in Organic Veggie Broth from Pacific instead of water. Added a little garlic/onion powder. Left it in the fridge over night. Took a large scoop and put it on a plate and then chopped up some light life pepperoni and mixed it in. Then I put a slice of that Vegan (purple pack) cheddar on top and nuked it for 30 secs, mixed it all together and then put vegan bacon bits on top with a little Real Salt. OMG! Best friggen thing ever!!!!!!

• Report Abuse

Posted by Tatiana at 04/08/08 17:21:53

I've been making awesome BLT's lately with organic tempeh bacon, organic mache, and organic roma tomatoes. yum yum yum!!

• Report Abuse

Posted by kindlizard at 04/09/08 23:26:46

Whoever likes quinoa, try it by squeezing lime juice into the water. That's livin'

• Report Abuse

Posted by Tatiana at 05/01/08 14:51:37

Some classic kid food today: I'm loving celery with peanut butter..yum yum

Report Abuse

Posted by JasonMonroe at 10/27/08 13:23:24

During the winter I crave Vegetarian Wild Rice Chowder. Soothes the soul and warms the heart.

Keep HappyCow Growing Strong!

I would like to support