Community: Forum: Vegetarian Discussion

Vegan / Vegetarian Discussion - All Things Veg*n Forum

I told my aunt that I'm vegan,and she tells me that i should start eating meat again for protein and to say a prayer for the dead animals. She was a vegetarian,but it was too hard for her. I could use some advice. I became a vegan for health and ethical reasons,and i can't go against my conscience now.

Responses (5)

• Report Abuse

Posted by The Hammer at 08/02/14 03:23:29

wait wait, some silly aunt tells you to eat meat "for proteins" and to say a little prayer for the tortured animals on her plate, and now you are confused and need advice? Advice for what? :-) You know everything, the protein BS story from meat eaters, the cruelty behind meat and eggs and milk, what, i ask you, could we, your fellow vegans, advice you?

My advice is to watch some documentaries and undercover videos from abused animals, that should clear up any confusing. And advice nr 2, don't try to educate your aunt or argue with her, she is tool who knows about animal cruelty yet decided to eat meat again. The worst of the worst if you ask me. Sorry girl, i can't sugarcoat my advice.

• Report Abuse

Posted by AllyG at 08/02/14 20:41:19

Pray for the people without food, and ask Aunty to pray for the vegans and vegetarians who save Gods creatures from death and suffering.

Aunty is coming from a place of concern for your health. Reassure her that you get enough protein from plants.

If necessary, google Bible and vegetarians and give her a bible verse. Noah was vegan (according to the movie, watch the movie together)

Good luck. Stay strong.

• Report Abuse

Posted by happycowgirl at 08/11/14 13:20:42

I'm afraid that your aunt is terribly uneducated when it comes to nutrition. Show her this, it's from the Physician's Committee for Responsible Medicine and explains The Protein Myth: http://pcrm.org/health/diets/vsk/vegetarian-starter-kit-protein

Ask her to watch Forks Over Knives and Vegucated with you.

That said, realize that it's hard to teach an old dog new tricks. For most people, it's just human nature that as we get older we become more and more stuck in our ways. Rather than opening our mind and objectively evaluating new information, the older we get the more we will do everything in our power to cling to our old ways of thinking. So don't be surprised when your aunt makes excuses for why what you tell her "just can't be right" no matter how much medical and scientific data you give her.

In short, never go against your conscience. You have to do what you know is right for your health and your soul. Give your aunt the facts and if she still doesn't come around make light of it and say, "We'll have to agree to disagree."

• Report Abuse

Posted by LoveAllAnimals at 08/12/14 12:44:25

Anyone who says being veg/an is too hard just lacks willpower or doesn't care enough about it. I wouldn't look to someone who continues to eat tortured animals knowing how horribly they are treated for advice.

• Report Abuse

Posted by AndyT at 09/11/14 23:16:38

I agree with every advice given here (except that given by the aunt, naturally).

Do check the book "Eat like you care" By Prof. Gary Francione, it explains why a lot of myths about vegan life are just that ... myths.

Keep HappyCow Growing Strong!

I would like to support